D&D General D&D AI Fail

Twitter thinks there's a new WotC president who will give you a baby dragon.

I guess I don’t have to worry about my job going away quite yet. This is what Twitter’s AI thingy thinks is currently happening in the industry I work in.

Screenshot 2024-04-19 at 17.21.30.png

Because it can't. It is physically incapable of doing so, and unless a radical new development occurs, this will not, cannot change.

Whether or not something is factually true is part of semantic content. The meaning of the statement. LLMs and (to the best of my knowledge) all other current "AIs" have no ability whatsoever to interact with or process semantic content. They can address syntax, which can be very powerful and do some very interesting things,* but it cannot even in principle address purely semantic content like truth-value. As some researchers have put it, AIs are "confidently incorrect."

I was recently reading an article on Mammoth Cave that I was already suspecting was AI generated (there's something always there that just feels a bit off when reading them) when it started extolling the scenery of the national park, including the caves, the forests and rivers, and the "towering mountains". Now, Kentucky does have some mountains, but not any that could really be considered "towering", and definitely no mountains at all within a hundred miles or so of Mammoth Cave. I laughed when, later in the article, the towering mountains made a second appearance. Pretty much a textbook example of your "confidently incorrect".

DrJawaPhD

Explorer
This is what Twitter’s AI thingy thinks is currently happening in the industry I work in.
Not going to lie, I don't keep track of dates all that well so reading that article had me pull up my phone to see what date in April it is today. It wouldn't have been a bad April 1st news post, but they're a couple weeks late

Stormonu

Legend
I guess I don’t have to worry about my job going away quite yet. This is what Twitter’s AI thingy thinks is currently happening in the industry I work in.

View attachment 358923
Yes! Now everyone must buy and play my adventure! Thank you WotC!!! :p

For those wondering, the adventure is accessed by rappeling down a hole in the ground, revealing a hold run by dwarves who are secretly raising dragons to being their mounts. About the only thing missing is a reference to THAC0.
[\spoiler]

Von Ether

Legend
That is the problem in a nutshell.

Currently, AI cant tell the difference between "trending" versus true.
It also illustrates how humans who keep pushing AI think that something that's "close enough" be it trending vs factual, super fast predictive text v writing and image scraping/mashing vs art is equal to "good enough."

The fact that it is confidently wrong, I would assume.
I assume it's PR spin until it is less wrong all the time.

Dioltach

Legend
It also illustrates how humans who keep pushing AI think that something that's "close enough" be it trending vs factual, super fast predictive text v writing and image scraping/mashing vs art is equal to "good enough."
The companies that make machine translation software have been saying the same thing for two decades. They keep throwing money into their marketing, and people who aren't translators believe them. I predict the same thing for AI.

(Although the publicity about some of the worst AI blunders seems to have raised awareness about the dangers of relying on machine translation.)

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads