D&D and Call of Cthulhu Climb Again in Roll20's Latest Stats

Roll20 has released its latest usage figures. These are for Q2, 2021. And they have a new fancy format!

D&D is, of course, still right up there at the top with nearly 54% of the market -- up from 53% in Q1 of this year. Call of Cthulhu continues its inexorable rise, climbing from 11% to 16%, and Pathfinder 2E gained from 1.5% to 1.8% (I'm told that most VTT action for PF2E happens on Foundry, not Roll20).

orrreport-2021-q22.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 8.48.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-23 at 8.49.32 PM.png

werecorpse

Adventurer
Anyway, I suspect that CoC does well online because it’s less about tactical combat, which while it can work fine online but can be time consuming and needs more time to set up. It’s also more about mystery solving and investigation of clues and has always had a fair few handouts as part of the game style. Handouts seem a pretty easy thing to give out and keep track of on roll20.

Anyway, I suspect that CoC does well online because it’s less about tactical combat, which while it can work fine online but can be time consuming and needs more time to set up. It’s also more about mystery solving and investigation of clues and has always had a fair few handouts as part of the game style. Handouts seem a pretty easy thing to give out and keep track of on roll20.

It's good, yes, but roll20 isn't the best fit for it. If you want to voice chat, see people's reactions, and sort handouts into maps, people, clues and so on, Discord is a much nicer platform in my experience. if CoC is doing well on roll20, it's doing REALLY well!

Ravenbrook

Explorer
It's good, yes, but roll20 isn't the best fit for it. If you want to voice chat, see people's reactions, and sort handouts into maps, people, clues and so on, Discord is a much nicer platform in my experience. if CoC is doing well on roll20, it's doing REALLY well!
My group uses Roll20 in combination with discord and I thought this was standard procedure, but I could be wrong.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
My group uses Roll20 in combination with discord and I thought this was standard procedure, but I could be wrong.
It seems to be a pretty common thing. I use the two together for D&D, a bunch of the games I played in for virtual GaryCon and GameholeCon used the combination as well. I wouldn't necessarily stay "standard procedure", but common enough.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases