D&D 5E D&D and Chain Restaurants: The Poll

If D&D 5e Was a Chain Restaurant, What One Would It Be (Please Describe in the Comments)

• 1. McDonalds. It's everywhere.

Votes: 19 30.6%
  • 2. Chipotle. So good you overlook the occasional food poisoning.

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • 3. Cheesecake Factory. I trust in the Snarf.

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • 4. Cracker Barrel. It has rocking chairs for the grognards.

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • 5. Taco Bell. It's amazing if you don't think about what goes into it.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • 6. Outback Steakhouse. No rules, just right.

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • 7. Denny's. It might be terrible, but you're there at 3am.

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • 8. Olive Garden. When you need to settle. And want breadsticks.

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • 9. OTHER. Put in your choice, and why for MAXIMUM DEREK.

Votes: 9 14.5%

• Poll closed .

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
Based on a question ... request ... dare (?) from the prior thread, I give you the official poll!

That's right! It's the D&D Version of everyone's favorite job interview question by the guy who didn't know he'd be doing an interview that day, "So, uh, if you were a tree, what kind of tree would you be?" (And yes, while the interview might have occurred at 10am, it was definitely 4:20 somewhere).

If D&D Was a Chain Restaurant, What Chain Restaurant Would it Be?

This arose from the context of the Cheesecake Factory Thread:

Now, before anyone gets all angry about the choices I put in the poll (including other), remember two things, please and thank you:

1. This is supposed to be fun.

2. It doesn't really matter what you choose, so much as how you end up describing what you choose!

Have at it!

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I should add that my vote was for the Cheesecake Factory, because I trust in, um, me. I also wrote a long post about it!

That said, my failure to vote for OTHER probably means that Derek is going to hunt me down. I can hear the wind chimes even as I type this ...

Denny's, because even though it's casual it's just nice enough that you can eat there over and over, and if you go to a good Denny's or order the right things from the menu, you won't get sick like you would at a fast food joint. Nothing fancy but they've got a little bit of everything, at any hour of the day you want.

Plus, it's comfort food. For all its quirks, it's Denny's. You know what you like, they know what works, and even as they change some things up over the years they don't get too crazy with it.

The only way to deal with Derek is to not deal with Derek. Or only go out with Derek when all you want to do is get drunk anyways.

In other words: don't play DnD with munchkins. Play competitive boardgames with munchkins.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Voted Other, because 5e is Starbucks.

1) Ubiqiutous within its niche. There are other coffee places, even popular coffee chains, but Starbucks is everywhere. Just like 5e within the TTRPG space.
2) Mainly offers one thing, but a ton of modularity within the space that it offers. 5e mainly supports one particular play style (DM focused story play), but gives you a ton of options within that space.
3) You can go to Starbucks for 2 min, or you can go for 5 hours (pre-COVID, anyway). Likewise, 5e works well for both extreme casuals and for dedicated TTRPGers.
4) Starbucks both helped originate its niche (upscale coffee place) and remains the leader within its space, again much like D&D as a whole.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Other: In and Out. It does one thing. And it does that one thing so well that people drive from other states to get it. And then people in other states who don't have it routinely argue their thing is better, even though in their secret hearts they know it's not :)

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
To be clear, I find the restaurant analogy (not the restaurant choice), a poor one. There is no restaurant I can go to that also has a slim menu I am allowed to copy for my own food truck, that I give a fraction of my own revenue to that restaurant, while selling food that includes my own original additions to the menu.

Remove ads