• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D and the rising pandemic

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"

80k US deaths is the midrange, you can adjust to see individual states too.

So yes, quite a few more times recurrent death total in the U.S. alone.

You can dismiss that as sensationalism if you like, but you might do better to educate yourself than do that.
Interesting site, thanks for linking it.
To me, the most distressing thing about those projections? From that site:

"The projections assume the continuation of strong social distancing measures and other protective measures."
From what I can tell, there are still way too many US states and localities that haven't yet seriously started social-distancing and other measures, much less a continuation of those measures.

Lem23

Adventurer
Yes, if you look state by state it gives relevant info and dates on various measures, when they're slated to be lifted, etc.

Last edited:

NotAYakk

Legend
Hang on. That's 27 189 deaths WORLDWIDE.

I was responding to the notion that we're going to have several times that in the US alone.

Apparently, the US is going to fail so utterly in dealing with the crisis that they will surpass the entire world in deaths by several times. :erm:
Yes, it is likely to.

This is the early parts of a pandemic.

The reason people are panicing is because they have read what epidemiologists have predicted. Because we can see what happened in China, in Italy, and SK. Because we understand exponents.

If any of those is true about you, you should be terrified.

Terror is a logical, rational response to the most dangerous epidemic in 100 years.

Terror doesn't mean paralysis. As many have pointed out, there are ways to beat this thing. But they are hard and require sacrifice.

Italy is an example of what can happen anywhere if you fail to respond soon enough; on the order of 1000s deaths/day. If you don't respond st all, it doesn't stop at 1000s.

I get that the media has regularly yelled about things as if they where dangerous and lied about it. But this isn't shark week.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Hang on. That's 27 189 deaths WORLDWIDE.

I was responding to the notion that we're going to have several times that in the US alone.

Apparently, the US is going to fail so utterly in dealing with the crisis that they will surpass the entire world in deaths by several times. :erm:
Yup. Even before the actions & inactions of officials who didn’t grasp the seriousness of the situation and bungled our response, epidemiologists pointed at the USA as being particularly vulnerable due to certain characteristics of our healthcare system...and society.

And its not just us.

Indonesia, the world’s 4th most populous nation (@250m people) just started testing this month. And it‘s not like they have a top-notch healthcare system.

Several African nations are at similar risk as Indonesia, not just because of their relative lack of resources, but because their systems were already being taxed by outbreaks of Lassa Fever and other serious disease outbreaks.

IOW, in all probability, the worst is yet to come.

Zardnaar

Legend
Yup. Even before the actions & inactions of officials who didn’t grasp the seriousness of the situation and bungled our response, epidemiologists pointed at the USA as being particularly vulnerable due to certain characteristics of our healthcare system...and society.

And its not just us.

Indonesia, the world’s 4th most populous nation (@250m people) just started testing this month. And it‘s not like they have a top-notch healthcare system.

Several African nations are at similar risk as Indonesia, not just because of their relative lack of resources, but because their systems were already being taxed by outbreaks of Lassa Fever and other serious disease outbreaks.

IOW, in all probability, the worst is yet to come.

My list of countries to watch include Mexico and Brazil.

Lem23

Adventurer
Despite their idiot fascist leader, Brazil might actually come through relatively safely; the regional governors are ignoring him and calling for fairly strict measures in the main, and the street gangs are conducting curfews in their areas. It comes to something when hardcore street gangs are taking this thing more seriously than the government of the country.

Remove ads