D&D and the rising pandemic

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The latest installment in Crisis & Cronyism:

ccs

41st lv DM
See, this, this right here, is a MAJOR source of the problem. Look at countries that are doing ok. Japan, NZ, Canada seems to be over the hump, etc. Every one of these countries don't seem to have this giant, "No GUMMINT GONNA TELL ME WHAT TO DO!" approach. Nor, do they have these very large anti-science groups who have used religion for the past couple of decades as the beat stick for forcing their agendas.

I'm still frankly baffled why Americans have always seemed to have had this giant hate on for their governments. You are the richest nation in the world and have been so for over a century. You haven't had a war on your own soil for over a century. You lead the world in so many areas.

But, for some reason, everyone wants to blame the government for incompetency. You don't get to be number one in the world if your government is incompetent. It always completely baffles me.

You're right. Overall we are awesome.

Unfortunately....
My countries current federal government is incompetent. It's costing us. And on this one it'll get more of us (and some of you) killed.
The doctors & scientists? I trust them. But they aren't the ones setting policy over here & the government is NOT heeding their advice. Or they heed it only as convenient & then half-assed at that. Hell, our President & VP don't even heed the recommendations of wearing of a mask as they tour hospital/labs & PPE factories.
As for what works? We can point to several countries. Are we doing what they are? Nope. Quite the opposite, we're opening things up as our #s climb! We didn't even wait for it to plateau, let alone for it to decline.
ATM? I wish I were sitting around locked down in NZ or somewhere sane. Instead I'm here in the land of armed protesters who seem determined to contract/spread disease, beach going idiots, people shooting each other when asked to wear a mask, & morons who suggest injecting disinfectant as a cure.
My best hope? Hide out on my farm, see the same 6-8 people/week, & literally out-live a bunch of fools.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Mod Note:

Folks... AGAIN. Why Americans hate government, and a whole bunch of the rest of this jazz, is really is out of scope. This is not a "gripe about government" thread.

Zardnaar

Legend
You're right. Overall we are awesome.

Unfortunately....
My countries current federal government is incompetent. It's costing us. And on this one it'll get more of us (and some of you) killed.
The doctors & scientists? I trust them. But they aren't the ones setting policy over here & the government is NOT heeding their advice. Or they heed it only as convenient & then half-assed at that. Hell, our President & VP don't even heed the recommendations of wearing of a mask as they tour hospital/labs & PPE factories.
As for what works? We can point to several countries. Are we doing what they are? Nope. Quite the opposite, we're opening things up as our #s climb! We didn't even wait for it to plateau, let alone for it to decline.
ATM? I wish I were sitting around locked down in NZ or somewhere sane. Instead I'm here in the land of armed protesters who seem determined to contract/spread disease, beach going idiots, people shooting each other when asked to wear a mask, & morons who suggest injecting disinfectant as a cure.
My best hope? Hide out on my farm, see the same 6-8 people/week, & literally out-live a bunch of fools.

Looks like our lockdown is ending next week or at least the expectation of it is.

Even here I don't think it's viable for to much longer. As soon as the lockdown level was lowered there was a large uptick in people breaking the rules.

The fear of Covid isn't there anymore.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Covid-19 isn't going away. Daily deaths will double in June, according to the most recent models. Just because it's summer, it doesn't make the disease go away, despite Trump's comments.

Zardnaar

Legend
Oh we've also got ait of tourists trapped here.

Some are still enjoying themselves. They're in bubble's in Queenstown or in camper vans parked up near the ocean.

Their families have told them may as well wait it out as the supermarkets weren't stripped and Covids not a big deal.

If you can't get trapped in NZ or Australia Rarotonga and Samoa have 0 Covid and of you have enough money they would be my places of choice to wait things out.

Tourist visa here us good for a year and they're auto extending the for any one stuck (and feeding the ones stuck with no money).

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
That's a large part of it. There's an underlying current of fear in Americans.

They get over here and cops don't carry guns, sometimes forget to lock the door etc.

They're a lot more high strung but that can kind of applies to everyone that's not kiwi or Aussie.

Most people are good most of the time but everyone's shaped by the environment they're raised in.

It's quite funny watching immigrants struggle with the concept of kiwiana.

If I had the cash, I'd move and enjoy the struggle. XD

ccs

41st lv DM
Looks like our lockdown is ending next week or at least the expectation of it is.

Even here I don't think it's viable for to much longer. As soon as the lockdown level was lowered there was a large uptick in people breaking the rules.

The fear of Covid isn't there anymore.

Yeah, but that's because you've beaten it down to minimal new cases & minimal new deaths.
That isn't the case yet here in the USA.

Remove ads