D&D and the rising pandemic

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
I guess if we want D&D plague adventures to be realistic, we're going to have to make groups of people who insist that the plague isn't real/isn't a big deal.
The local leadership is "a hydra" - a bunch of people each doing their own thing, not working together. Use Dangerous Liasons to get a feel for the local nobility: other people (especially lower-class people) are just pawns to be played with.

One noble is all for a lockdown right away in his neighborhood: he wants the plague-ridden peasants off the streets and out of his way when he and his family / entourage get outta town, probably on a breezy day (to "blow away the vapors / miasma")

Two important leaders are more interested in blaming each other for every bad-news item that happens, than in addressing the problem.

The local cleric of the god(dess) of disease is giving out advice for how to catch the plague, not how to stay away from it, because that is what his deity wants. Folks come to him and ask "What should we do?" and he answers them, ignoring the fact they really mean "What should we do to protect ourselves? "

Somebody has found a treatment - but the hoi-polloi or the rabble don't get to make important decisions or tell The Important People what to do.

Somebody's gonna do it: "It's the halflings / elves / dragonborns / humans fault, they brought it with them!" (Pick any race / group that is locally a small fraction of the population.) Maybe a pogrom starts, maybe nobody will show up to be in the middle of an angry mob.

Rumors that sound reasonable are flying: fresh fruits & veggies make you strong to shrug it off, take a bath every day (the muddy river doesn't count), it is a vapor in the air so carrying something that smells strongly (spices or perfumes not troglodytes) will break it up, get sick to your stomach to purge it out of you, chugging beer means you won't feel sick, snake oil cures anything so it will cure this too. One rumor could even be part of the solution.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Ontario with the exception of Toronto (and Hamilton) is entering Stage 3 on Friday. That means everything will be open but masks are mandatory inside in most areas and capacity indoors is greatly reduced.

Toronto entered Stage 2 about 2 weeks late so we will likely be entering Stage 3 in 2 weeks if everything is still going well.

Zardnaar

Legend
Ontario with the exception of Toronto (and Hamilton) is entering Stage 3 on Friday. That means everything will be open but masks are mandatory inside in most areas and capacity indoors is greatly reduced.

Toronto entered Stage 2 about 2 weeks late so we will likely be entering Stage 3 in 2 weeks if everything is still going well.

How many active cases? Are you allowed to travel between towns?

Friend in Houston had 2 days to make her mind up with school. She's got the option of homeschooling. Kids 6 so won't miss to much I guess.

DollarD

Long-time Lurker
Well, isn't Tomb of Annihilation based around a plague of sorts?

I do remember a different DnD plague - the Wailing Death. Technically not in an official adventure - it was in Neverwinter Nights 1, I believe. But its part of the Realms canon nevertheless.

They did quarantine the city, if I remember correctly.

Last edited:

Janx

Hero
How many active cases? Are you allowed to travel between towns?

Friend in Houston had 2 days to make her mind up with school. She's got the option of homeschooling. Kids 6 so won't miss to much I guess.
where are people not allowed to travel between towns? How do they control that?

I ask that from Houston where people are driving all the time.

Zardnaar

Legend
where are people not allowed to travel between towns? How do they control that?

I ask that from Houston where people are driving all the time.

When we did lockdown long distance travel was heavily discouraged, police were on the roads, some communities blocked the roads.

Outdoor activities (hunting, fishing, swimming, tramping etc) also banned.

Australia has Quarantined several buildings.

Remove ads