D&D and the rising pandemic

Zardnaar

Legend
Surprisingly, I think in Auckland that almost everyone has fallen into the habit of lockdown in that no one is really out panic buying. Queues are short, shelves are well stocked. It's almost like everyone realised that they don't need enough toilet paper to last them until the end of the year.

Yeah the panic buying didn't last long.

Even first time round a few things ran out but the shelves didn't get stripped. At least not here.

Zardnaar

Legend
Sorry, County is a sub unit of state we are basically one moderate city the numbers I gave were for people in walking distance of my house ... the County is in the State of Nebraska in the Country of the US

Oh I misread county as country.

If Auckland was in USA it would be 8th largest city iirc. Hawaii with 1/3rd the population as NZ and similar advantages has done worse.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
On another forum I've started a thread about do you trust your government.
The answer is about as far as I can throw it. Which can be given more meaning than it sounds. My local government is pretty good my state government stucks pretty bad and my federal government is tied up in terrifying degrees of evil and nonsense by a deranged idiot and his fan club well... the picture just isn't pretty.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
If Auckland was in USA it would be 8th largest city iirc. Hawaii with 1/3rd the population as NZ and similar advantages has done worse.

Does Aukland not have a lot of suburbs, or do the US and New Zealand count metro areas differently.

The listing I found for the city I find is 1.47 million and the metro area is 1.64 million. That would be the 8th largest city (displacing San Diego), but only the 38th largest metro area (displacing Providence). The entire North Island is listed at 3.76 million, which would put it as the 15th largest metro area in the US (displacing Seattle).

Anyway, it doesn't change how much NZ is outperforming the US on COVID containment.

Zardnaar

Legend
The answer is about as far as I can throw it. Which can be given more meaning than it sounds. My local government is pretty good my state government stucks pretty bad and my federal government is tied up in terrifying degrees of evil and nonsense by a deranged idiot and his fan club well... the picture just isn't pretty.

I've never voted in local body Elections lol. Missed voting nationally once where it was a blowout year. Think we played D&D that day and forgot it was election day.

Zardnaar

Legend
Does Aukland not have a lot of suburbs, or do the US and New Zealand count metro areas differently.

The listing I found for the city I find is 1.47 million and the metro area is 1.64 million. That would be the 8th largest city (displacing San Diego), but only the 38th largest metro area (displacing Providence). The entire North Island is listed at 3.76 million, which would put it as the 15th largest metro area in the US (displacing Seattle).

Anyway, it doesn't change how much NZ is outperforming the US on COVID containment.

Not really. NZ city sizes usually just count the main metro area.

Suburbs in NZ usually the parts if the city not in the CBD or central area.

I live in the suburbs, the CBD is about 4km away.

Technically city limits do cover surrounding area but it's mostly academic not day to day use.

I think Dunedin technically is/was bigger than Auckland but 99% of it is farmland , Bush and forest and the small towns aren't regarded as suburbs.

They're very spread out/green. Concrete jungle not so much.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Difference in rates isn't that much between our countries. Yours was something like 66%, ours 75% iirc.

Oops it was 79.8% that was a good turnout though.
Presidential only every hits the 66 percent I think local is less but would have to look it up.
Also Mid terms are like 40 percent here (these do not include the President)

Remove ads