D&D and the rising pandemic

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Oh, no. Not at this point. There's broad community spread. Contact tracing is great for managing risk, but it is not conclusive for a court of law to eliminate reasonable doubt that you didn't get it elsewhere.

For this to hold up in court, I would imagine you'd need very specific circumstances - like, the victim had contact only with the defendant. They didn't go to the supermarket or drug store where someone else might have coughed or the like.
add a highly specific strain of the virus and we are talking

Hussar

Legend
Gah less than useful. I'm guessing pandemics weren't a big thing in 1990.

Part 11. Part 13 and 14 also inconvenient.

Kinda wondered how the government got away with things in the war years and polio.
Well, the War Measures Act (or whatever name is used in a specific country) is all it takes to remove pretty much all your civil rights. One emergency act of parliament and we become a totalitarian state.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Gah less than useful. I'm guessing pandemics weren't a big thing in 1990.

Part 11. Part 13 and 14 also inconvenient.

Kinda wondered how the government got away with things in the war years and polio.
This depends on how courts interpret things.

For one thing, section 15, on the manifestation of belief is more inconvenient than 13 or 14 - which are just about what you say and think and believe. 15 covers actions.

But, Section 5 says, "Subject to section 4, the rights and freedoms contained in this Bill of Rights may be subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society."

Keeping lots of folks from dying (via moderate means like "wear a mask" and "stay at home for a while") is probably justified in a free and democratic society. "And take this shot," may also be called for in such instances, as failing to do so infringes on the other guy's right to not get sick and die.

Zardnaar

Legend
This depends on how courts interpret things.

For one thing, section 15, on the manifestation of belief is more inconvenient than 13 or 14 - which are just about what you say and think and believe. 15 covers actions.

But, Section 5 says, "Subject to section 4, the rights and freedoms contained in this Bill of Rights may be subject only to such reasonable limits prescribed by law as can be demonstrably justified in a free and democratic society."

Keeping lots of folks from dying (via moderate means like "wear a mask" and "stay at home for a while") is probably justified in a free and democratic society. "And take this shot," may also be called for in such instances, as failing to do so infringes on the other guy's right to not get sick and die.

Yeah it's a potential court case poo storm.

It's not like the US constitution but theoretically it can be changed by an act of parliment so you only need 51%.
If I think it was put in there for Jehovah Witnesses who don't believe in some things like blood transfusions.

They also don't vote and refuse to serve in the military so they're consistent I suppose.

NotAYakk

Legend
The good news: the world is on the cusp of beating a respiratory plague. Two ~95% effective vaccines with nearly no side effects racing ahead, and many more on the way.

Watch this:

Quick testing is ramping up; using it at population-level might help. It seemed to at that US university who tried it (2 tests per student/teacher per week, and normal classes).

The nose-spray that makes an animal model immune for ~24 hours is also interesting.

The sad news: the US great plains states are in deep trouble.

The bad news: Turns out covid 19 likes the fall/winter. So places that don't want to surrender may have to go through another wave of lockdown to keep it under control.

Up here in Ontario, the number of cases is up, things aren't looking great for the fall/winter.

But when I go to a chart comparing us to US states, there is literally 1 US state with fewer cases than us (Hawaii) per capita.

Manitoba just made selling non-essential goods inside a store a crime. They border the US great plains, and supply chains cross the (otherwise mostly closed) border. But with the Dakotas playing "I think we can kill more people with Covid-19 than Manhatten did" chicken right over the international border, I'm worried about my relatives there.

Nationally, apparently Canada pre-bought more doses of vaccine per capita than any other country in the world. Go us I guess. National health-care system plus a dumpster fire just south of the border.

---

Gaming continues online. I had some fun making every PC a heroforge screenshot.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
The good news: the world is on the cusp of beating a respiratory plague. Two ~95% effective vaccines with nearly no side effects racing ahead, and many more on the way.

Watch this:

Quick testing is ramping up; using it at population-level might help. It seemed to at that US university who tried it (2 tests per student/teacher per week, and normal classes).

The nose-spray that makes an animal model immune for ~24 hours is also interesting.

The sad news: the US great plains states are in deep trouble.

The bad news: Turns out covid 19 likes the fall/winter. So places that don't want to surrender may have to go through another wave of lockdown to keep it under control.

Up here in Ontario, the number of cases is up, things aren't looking great for the fall/winter.

But when I go to a chart comparing us to US states, there is literally 1 US state with fewer cases than us (Hawaii) per capita.

Manitoba just made selling non-essential goods inside a store a crime. They border the US great plains, and supply chains cross the (otherwise mostly closed) border. But with the Dakotas playing "I think we can kill more people with Covid-19 than Manhatten did" chicken right over the international border, I'm worried about my relatives there.

Nationally, apparently Canada pre-bought more doses of vaccine per capita than any other country in the world. Go us I guess. National health-care system plus a dumpster fire just south of the border.

---

Gaming continues online. I had some fun making every PC a heroforge screenshot.

Ouch. I think we orebought 1.5 million doses and pumped money into 3 of the vaccine candidates.

Light at the end if the tunnel, economy performing better than expected along with government debt.

South Dakota.

Last edited:

Remove ads