• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D and the rising pandemic

MarkB

Legend
There are two additional human traits, that play into a lack of preparedness.

Humans are bad at telling the difference between actual risk and perceived risk, so we tend to (at least personally) prepare for the wrong things. It's why so many people refuse to take a vaccine, with a 1/100,000 negative result, but instead will risk a disease that has a 1/1000 negative outcome. I wish that I could remember who wrote a scholarly book about this very thing, just a few years back, because I would very much like to read it.
That seems like a variation of the Trolley Problem. Psychologically, the risk that you take by not acting feels more attractive than the one you take by acting, because you're not actively choosing it and therefore aren't responsible for it.

Ryujin

Legend
That seems like a variation of the Trolley Problem. Psychologically, the risk that you take by not acting feels more attractive than the one you take by acting, because you're not actively choosing it and therefore aren't responsible for it.
To a degree, I suppose, but it's not on a conscious level.

Zardnaar

Legend

I've seen variations of that arguement online in regards to ww2.

Do XYZ ABC die.

Do nothing more people due but you can blame the other side as it isn't you making that decision.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
There are two additional human traits, that play into a lack of preparedness.

Humans are bad at telling the difference between actual risk and perceived risk, so we tend to (at least personally) prepare for the wrong things. It's why so many people refuse to take a vaccine, with a 1/100,000 negative result, but instead will risk a disease that has a 1/1000 negative outcome. I wish that I could remember who wrote a scholarly book about this very thing, just a few years back, because I would very much like to read it.
Risk assessment is not high on our skill tree.... we seem to desperately want agency (ie a person to blame) for our risk.

Hussar

Legend
And... someday they'll finally start rolling out vaccines here in Japan. Sigh.

Now here was a new experience. My uni classes that I teach are still being done by remote. I'm in my office at home doing the class and about half or three quarters of my students are in the classroom at the university. :erm: Can someone please explain the logic on this. It just makes my head hurt.

Granted, I'm from Ontario, and ANYTHING right now seems better than what's going on there. Good grief.

My wife just got her vaccine, still seeing when and if I will get mine. But I think it is more than the trolley problem. I will likely get the vaccine after weighing the risks with my doctor (I have three autoimmune diseases). But I think the x factor here is we don’t know the long term side effects the vaccines may have because they are new. So people are weighing not just the very small known risk, but the unknown risk when they decide

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

Now here was a new experience. My uni classes that I teach are still being done by remote. I'm in my office at home doing the class and about half or three quarters of my students are in the classroom at the university. :erm: Can someone please explain the logic on this. It just makes my head hurt.

Granted, I'm from Ontario, and ANYTHING right now seems better than what's going on there. Good grief.
You’re the the product. The administration is protecting you. If you can’t work, they can’t charge for your expertise.

The students are the market. One disappears, another will replace her.

Hussar

Legend
You’re the the product. The administration is protecting you. If you can’t work, they can’t charge for your expertise.

The students are the market. One disappears, another will replace her.
The truly brutal thing is, it's only the universities here. ALl the other schools, from pre-school to high school have been back in session since last May without any real issue. It's truly bizarre.

Ryujin

Legend

You're not wrong about Ontario. I'm in Brampton, which is the current Covid hotspot, with a 22.4% positivity rate. That's double the Provincial average, which is also currently at its highest point. Unfortunately there are still far too many people who are ignoring the rules and the rules aren't being enforced, in any meaningful way. The one bright point is that more people are getting vaccinated now.

Hussar

Legend
You're not wrong about Ontario. I'm in Brampton, which is the current Covid hotspot, with a 22.4% positivity rate. That's double the Provincial average, which is also currently at its highest point. Unfortunately there are still far too many people who are ignoring the rules and the rules aren't being enforced, in any meaningful way. The one bright point is that more people are getting vaccinated now.
Oh, dude, I feel you. My blood pressure just spikes every time I check the local papers back home. What was it? Aylmer? Yeah, those guys are actually not that far from where I grew up. I am just ... I'm going to use the word gobsmacked here even though I'm not British just because it's the best word I can think of. The blinding stupidity is so disheartening.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads