• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D and the rising pandemic

Ryujin

Legend
Oh, dude, I feel you. My blood pressure just spikes every time I check the local papers back home. What was it? Aylmer? Yeah, those guys are actually not that far from where I grew up. I am just ... I'm going to use the word gobsmacked here even though I'm not British just because it's the best word I can think of. The blinding stupidity is so disheartening.
Yeah, Aylmer. Wish that I could comment more, but rules are rules.

In the early days of the lockdown, there were people having 200-300 person house parties in Air BNBs, in this area. One of my co-workers, who is big in the local ballroom dancing crowd told me that people are renting out warehouses in order to hold events for 100-200 people.

We'd likely be out of this mess already, if people would just follow the rules. Brampton has a lot of multi-generational homes with a bunch of people working essential service jobs, to pay their enormous mortgages, and I understand how that initially drove our local numbers higher. I just don't get these people who aren't operating under those constraints, but continue to make things rough for the rest of us.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him) 🇺🇦🇵🇸🏳️‍⚧️
The truly brutal thing is, it's only the universities here. ALl the other schools, from pre-school to high school have been back in session since last May without any real issue. It's truly bizarre.
That might change once the strains hitting younger people make their way into the country.

Ryujin

Legend
Great. They announced an outbreak at one of our residences. From 2 weeks ago. Fortunately I haven't been working in that building for a couple of months now, on my rare trips on-site. That's going to impact a bunch of the Facilities Management workers though.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
One of the next hurdles in the US is going to be vaccine hesitancy.

Here in MA, less than 10% of the population (most counties are between 6% and 8%) is hestiant to get the vaccine, which is frikkin' awesome.

Wyoming, however, has hesitancy up around 30%, which is probably enough to prevent establishment of herd immunity.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
My county is the least hesitant in Nebraska also ranks high in education == coincidence? nyeh
County Name: Lancaster County, Nebraska
Estimated hesitant: 16.58%
Estimated strongly hesitant: 8.17%
Social Vulnerability Index (SVI): 0.3 (Low Vulnerability)
Ability to handle a COVID-19 outbreak (CVAC): 0.12 (Very Low Vulnerability)
Percent adults fully vaccinated against COVID-19 (as of 03/30/21): 21.3%

Ryujin

Legend
@Hussar - That incident you mentioned in Aylmer? Well, it turns out that two of the "attendees" were off duty Toronto Police officers, who were arguing with the Aylmer Police abut police procedure. There's video of the incident and it's under review by Toronto Police Services, for possible disciplinary action.

Thomas Shey

Legend
One of the next hurdles in the US is going to be vaccine hesitancy.

Here in MA, less than 10% of the population (most counties are between 6% and 8%) is hestiant to get the vaccine, which is frikkin' awesome.

Wyoming, however, has hesitancy up around 30%, which is probably enough to prevent establishment of herd immunity.

Yeah, here in California we're chunkin' along pretty good too. I suspect we'll start hitting diminishing returns in the number of people who are in a hurry to get it soon. The only good thing is early polling seems to suggest that a disproportionate number of the resistant are away from dense areas of population.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Yeah, here in California we're chunkin' along pretty good too. I suspect we'll start hitting diminishing returns in the number of people who are in a hurry to get it soon. The only good thing is early polling seems to suggest that a disproportionate number of the resistant are away from dense areas of population.
I’m thinking with that dynamic, we may see some rural, vaccine-hesitant counties & states experiencing occasional “quarantines” similar to those in 2020 over the next few years as they continue to have bigger than average C19 spikes.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I’m thinking with that dynamic, we may see some rural, vaccine-hesitant counties & states experiencing occasional “quarantines” similar to those in 2020 over the next few years as they continue to have bigger than average C19 spikes.

Some rural, vaccine-hesitant counties... and the entire states of Wyoming, North, and South Dakota.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads