D&D and the rising pandemic

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
In 1984 the D&D bubble popped.

I'm guessing this is gonna be 2.0.

Not to trivialize, but this is a huge opportunity for virtual tabletop services, and text/audio/video chat services. It could be a boom for them - assuming people have money to spend now that they (in many cases) can't work. So, maybe D&D will thrive.

Now more than other, people need some escapism and social contact. D&D can be played online, and has easily half a dozen dedicated platforms that enable just that. Amazon is still delivering, and of the various FLGS shops I follow on social media, none have closer their doors (though most have ceased any in-game play and events). Sales will probably dip, but I don't think the D&D upswell is going to end so easily.

In 1984 the D&D bubble popped.

I'm guessing this is gonna be 2.0.

akr71

Hero
Yes I was thinking the same thing @Ralif Redhammer We are likely moving to online for the time being - a couple one-shots to get the new folks used to it and as we progress, use more of the functionality - even if we just use the VTT for the map and have players still use pen & paper (& honesty) in their home.

I was discussing with one of our group, who occasionally DMs that I felt bad for cancelling the last 2 sessions and should we move online. He agreed that we should give it a try - if anything, it might help with cabin fever.

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
Amazon is still delivering

Such as it is. A book I ordered sat on "pending" for a week, then left its carrier facility to arrive at a neighboring city, which sent it back to the original carrier facility, which sent it back to that same neighboring city! At this point, I'm still waiting on it.

...which I suppose means I'm doing pretty well, since this is the biggest problem I have at the moment.

Remove ads