D&D and the rising pandemic

Thomas Shey

Legend
So, there's a major difference here. Facebook can remove you from the platform. That is annoying.

Governments can seize your assets, jail you, or even execute you.

When you think about whether a company has more power to control what you say than a government, remember the term "prison camp". And no, I am not overstating the case.

No, but I also don't think you're talking about the ability to infringe speech, but a much broader thing. In that context, I do really think companies have more power now than the government. In that context.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
No, but I also don't think you're talking about the ability to infringe speech, but a much broader thing. In that context, I do really think companies have more power now than the government. In that context.

Well... companies have more power to block your "free" speech in the arenas that they control. Which to a lot of people are very important arenas indeed. But that's just a perception. If you get kicked off of Facebook/Instagram/Twitter/Whatever you still have full rights to speak freely. Just not on those platforms. They matter very little in the grand scheme of things, but they can be very important to any individual who sees them as important.

And, how everyone in the Army already gets a half-dozen mandatory vaccinations in basic training, plus others later as you deploy into various areas of the world...
Sure, but given the new tech of these jabs and the fact that long term testing has not been done and they are still deemed experimental, I'm not so sure you can discount their hesitancy and equate them to jabs of old - which have gone through the standard testing process and are not deemed experimental. Details matter.

Hussar

Legend
Sure, but given the new tech of these jabs and the fact that long term testing has not been done and they are still deemed experimental, I'm not so sure you can discount their hesitancy and equate them to jabs of old - which have gone through the standard testing process and are not deemed experimental. Details matter.
Let's not forget though, those old vaccines which went through "standard testing" of the time, wouldn't even come close to the level of scrutiny that these vaccines have. Virtually none of the vaccines of the past century, in their original form, would get FDA approval. The ability to test something from 1920, say, compared to 2020 isn't even close. Think about it, Pasteur tested his rabies vaccine on a child. O.O

When people talk about something being "deemed experimental", by and large they don't have a clue what they are talking about.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
Doesn't the current shot from Pfizer now have the full FDA approval many were clamoring for?

Hasn't the general tech been in development for like 20 years?

I'm less annoyed with folks not wanting unapproved experimental things if they're consistent about it. Are any essential oils or food supplements actually tested and approved (or have we made it illegal to require that)? A huge number of things we hope will be good cancer treatments are unapproved in the US. Various things like horse paste interact with COVID haven't had full studies done for side effects treating COVID even if the drug is approved for other things, right? And have the immuno therapies for COVID touted in Florida, for example, gotten full approval yet? Waiting to see everyone wanting approval rushed when the first experimental mRNA vaccines look like they might work for cancer and are being large scale human tested. If one can wait five years to get a shot to protect your fellow people, maybe they can wait at the end of the line for the cancer treatment to (I assume it won't be cheap and there will be a big line of folks wanting it).

Doesn't the current shot from Pfizer now have the full FDA approval many were clamoring for?
As I understand it the shot for Pfizer does not have full FDA approval, but the BioNtech-Phizer one (Cormirnaty) which is not in the market yet does. I stand to be corrected but the original one is still within the rest of experimental shots.

Hasn't the general tech been in development for like 20 years?
And yet it still has not gone through all the necessary clinical trials. Development period means little - this is Moderna's first vaccine and you can only call it successful because of the experimental pass.

I'm less annoyed with folks not wanting unapproved experimental things if they're consistent about it. Are any essential oils or food supplements actually tested and approved (or have we made it illegal to require that)? A huge number of things we hope will be good cancer treatments are unapproved in the US. Various things like horse paste interact with COVID haven't had full studies done for side effects treating COVID even if the drug is approved for other things, right? And have the immuno therapies for COVID touted in Florida, for example, gotten full approval yet? Waiting to see everyone wanting approval rushed when the first experimental mRNA vaccines look like they might work for cancer and are being large scale human tested. If one can wait five years to get a shot to protect your fellow people, maybe they can wait at the end of the line for the cancer treatment to (I assume it won't be cheap and there will be a big line of folks wanting it).
I cannot comment on all that - but as far as I understood protecting your fellow people in this pandemic were the people with comorbidities and elderly, not the teenagers and young adults Big Pharma wants to milk for more profits. And I just wish ONE doctor from government, if they really gave a rat's ass about health, had gotten onto the TV and said this is what you should be doing to protect yourself, what vitamins you should be taking or how much sun you should be getting a day.

Let's not forget though, those old vaccines which went through "standard testing" of the time, wouldn't even come close to the level of scrutiny that these vaccines have. Virtually none of the vaccines of the past century, in their original form, would get FDA approval. The ability to test something from 1920, say, compared to 2020 isn't even close. Think about it, Pasteur tested his rabies vaccine on a child. O.O
If we have to go back to 1920 to make a comparison for a debate sure. But the PCR test, the mRNA tech and all of that has been around for the last 20-30+ years. We can even go to 1969 where mankind landed on the moon, and yet we are struggling with that Van Allen Belt now. I would not be so quick to just write off our past knowledge of science and study.

When people talk about something being "deemed experimental", by and large they don't have a clue what they are talking about.
I guess they could have used another word/phrase to better clarify what they meant then by experimental.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
As I understand it the shot for Pfizer does not have full FDA approval, but the BioNtech-Phizer one (Cormirnaty) which is not in the market yet does. I stand to be corrected but the original one is still within the rest of experimental shots.

One of the top results on Google when looking for the two names together explains they're the same and why there is confusion.

And yet it still has not gone through all the necessary clinical trials. Development period means little - this is Moderna's first vaccine and you can only call it successful because of the experimental pass.

The flu vaccine is a different formulation every year...

I cannot comment on all that - but as far as I understood protecting your fellow people in this pandemic were the people with comorbidities and elderly, not the teenagers and young adults Big Pharma wants to milk for more profits. And I just wish ONE doctor from government, if they really gave a rat's ass about health, had gotten onto the TV and said this is what you should be doing to protect yourself, what vitamins you should be taking or how much sun you should be getting a day.

The NIH guidelines on how vitamins seem to work for it Supplements Summary Recommendations | COVID-19 Treatment Guidelines

CDC info on being outside in general (on a page about skin cancer) Are There Benefits to Spending Time Outdoors? | Skin Cancer | CDC

One of the top results on Google when looking for the two names together explains they're the same and why there is confusion.
https://www.nebraskamed.com/COVID/y...imply formally,and chemically the same thing.
Right, so the 'new shots' will be labelled Comirnaty, which legally have FDA approval, which likely have yet to be released everywhere as vaccines centres are likely still using up their old stock of Pfizer which, again legally, do not have FDA approval, but only EUA (Emergency Use Approval).

The flu vaccine is a different formulation every year...
Are you comparing Covid to the Flu? I thought it was a big no-no to describe this as a bad flu although the epidemiologist Professor Ioannidis doesn't seem to think so.
To be fair there was an Israeli doctor last year that did say that if the flu is a 1 out of 10 in terms of seriousness, then Covid-19 would be a 2.

The NIH guidelines on how vitamins seem to work for it Supplements Summary Recommendations | COVID-19 Treatment Guidelines

CDC info on being outside in general (on a page about skin cancer) Are There Benefits to Spending Time Outdoors? | Skin Cancer | CDC
Shockingly bad but not surprising, particularly when there are multiple studies around the world reflecting those particular set of vitamins do assist against Covid-19. As for the 2nd article provided - linking spending time outdoors to skin cancer because everything one does has to be viewed at the extreme to give the perception that it doesn't work. It is a great marketing and misdirecting ploy.

Imagine we did that with everything, we just showcase the extremes to downplay the benefits - like drinking water, brushing one's teeth, combing one's hair, playing sport...etc

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Well... companies have more power to block your "free" speech in the arenas that they control. Which to a lot of people are very important arenas indeed. But that's just a perception. If you get kicked off of Facebook/Instagram/Twitter/Whatever you still have full rights to speak freely. Just not on those platforms. They matter very little in the grand scheme of things, but they can be very important to any individual who sees them as important.
You do, like you always have. Yet there's a big difference between speaking your mind on a street corner and having an amplifying platform. It's a difference that a legalistic approach can't really fix - some people have always had more power with their speech than others because of those platforms (usually acquired by money).

Remove ads