• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D and the rising pandemic

Ryujin

Legend
That's definitely a major part of it, but I know people that still send their sick children to school even when they're old enough to stay home by themselves.
Some people are just selfish. Can't remember if I've mentioned this in the thread before but years ago a co-worker came to work with a serious fever, because he didn't want to miss the departmental holiday lunch. It was a buffet and took place on a Friday in December. The following Monday half of the staff, including myself, were out sick. We were out for a week. The following Monday the other half of the staff went out sick for a week. Only one person out of 150 was in both weeks and he was sick as a dog while working, so obviously also shouldn't have come in.

If you're sick, stay at home.

niklinna

satisfied?
Some people are just selfish. Can't remember if I've mentioned this in the thread before but years ago a co-worker came to work with a serious fever, because he didn't want to miss the departmental holiday lunch. It was a buffet and took place on a Friday in December. The following Monday half of the staff, including myself, were out sick. We were out for a week. The following Monday the other half of the staff went out sick for a week. Only one person out of 150 was in both weeks and he was sick as a dog while working, so obviously also shouldn't have come in.

If you're sick, stay at home.
I hope that selfish person got some stern feedback about what they did to their co-workers.

Ryujin

Legend
I might be showing my age here, but, I was raised that unless you were dying, you went to work/school because that's the right thing to do.

Of course now, in hindsight, I realize how bad that POV is. :D But that whole work ethic thing gets in the way sometimes.
I was raised the same way and it took me quite a while to realize two things:

1) The "work yourself to death" mentality comes from the employer, not the employee.
2) Working when sick is counter productive, as it ultimately impacts productivity, by serving to take out other workers.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
I was raised the same way and it took me quite a while to realize two things:

1) The "work yourself to death" mentality comes from the employer, not the employee.
2) Working when sick is counter productive, as it ultimately impacts productivity, by serving to take out other workers.
... which makes it bizarre that so many employers still haven't figured figure out #2, so they keep on pressuring workers per #1.
🤦‍♂️

Hussar

Legend
Get's even more fun when you're the sole proprietor and employee.

It's not even my boss telling me to go to work. It's me telling my &%'#$($%% self. :(

((Well, my wife tells me that I'm the boss and she lets me tell other people that anyway...))

Zardnaar

Legend
Get's even more fun when you're the sole proprietor and employee.

It's not even my boss telling me to go to work. It's me telling my &%'#$($%% self. :(

((Well, my wife tells me that I'm the boss and she lets me tell other people that anyway...))

You're not infecting anyone else in that scenario. Unless it's customer facing I suppose.

I'm sure most of us have probably gone to work sick for whatever reason. Usually because of lack of sick days or boss expects you to/chews you out if you phone in sick.

Covid they doubled sick days from 5 to 10 think my wife has something like 40 banked in. I used to get 8 before they increased to 10.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
If your employer as policy keeps minimal possible staff, taking a day off (sick, vacation, doctor appointment, whatever) equals coming back to two days' worth of work awaiting you. Because nobody else has the time to spare from their workload to carry some of yours.
If you have a 72-hour bug, you get to dig yourself out of that hole for a week.

Remove ads