D&D and the rising pandemic

GreyLord

Legend
Thank you. She tested negative, thank God. She's going to stay at her mom's while her roommate is in isolation. We always wear masks and don't tend to stand anywhere near each other, so we should all be good.

It's funny, when you think you may be sick you start to think you are feeling sick...even if you really aren't sometimes.

Of course, other times you really are sick. It's a weird dynamic.

Mirtek

Hero
90% second doses is the magic number before restrictions are eased.
Denmark just revoked their freedom day, which they announced after 86% of the eglible population was vaccinated. The freedom lasted ~2 month and now they are at a infektion rate of 263/100k. I fear 90% won't make much of a difference

In Germany it's a mess right now. Some states are in full panic mode and preparing 2G (vaccinated or recovered) for just about everything beyond going to work, while mine just revoked any and all covid meassures for outside events. No testing, no contact tracing, no masks and no distancing required anymore.

To be fair it was already decided weeks ago that the restrictions would fall today, the situation back then was different. I am still suprised they went through with it, I was fully expecting a last minute announcement that the restrictions would not be lifted as planned.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Denmark just revoked their freedom day, which they announced after 86% of the eglible population was vaccinated. The freedom lasted ~2 month and now they are at a infektion rate of 263/100k. I fear 90% won't make much of a difference

In Germany it's a mess right now. Some states are in full panic mode and preparing 2G (vaccinated or recovered) for just about everything beyond going to work, while mine just revoked any and all covid meassures for outside events. No testing, no contact tracing, no masks and no distancing required anymore.

To be fair it was already decided weeks ago that the restrictions would fall today, the situation back then was different. I am still suprised they went through with it, I was fully expecting a last minute announcement that the restrictions would not be lifted as planned.

The reason is people stopped complying anyway.

They had to many cases of unknown origin so may as well open up.

They've indicated Aucklanders going to be allowed to travel regardless by Christmas/new years.

It's got nothing to do with polling at all.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Meanwhile, in news we don't need, SARS-COV-2 is showing up in white tailed deer, in large numbers.

It doesn't appear to harm the deer - they don't get sick from it. However, they may serve as carriers. If they can pass it back to humans (which is not yet proven) then they may serve as a reservoir such that eradication in North America becomes nigh impossible.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)

deep sigh

I heard the best way to "undo" the vaccine was to get directly injected with COVID. But in order to not get sick, it needs to be a specially engineered, weakened form of the virus. For best results, my spiritual leader says you should get this shot a couple weeks after your 1st vaccine injection, and probably another one about 9 months later to make sure it takes.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Meanwhile, in news we don't need, SARS-COV-2 is showing up in white tailed deer, in large numbers.

It doesn't appear to harm the deer - they don't get sick from it. However, they may serve as carriers. If they can pass it back to humans (which is not yet proven) then they may serve as a reservoir such that eradication in North America becomes nigh impossible.

This seems like a cosmic joke: putting a large reservoir of COVID into a critter that will be in relatively close proximity to the folks currently least likely to be vaccinated or agree with the science.

@Umbran, I bet your wife is utterly THRILLED by this,

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer

I heard this on NPR the other day. Apparently, in the study during the Winter surge of Covid-19, 80% of the deer that they tested (which was a fairly small sample group, to be fair) tested positive for SARS-COV-2 (it says that in the article you linked, but it's something I distinctly remember from when I heard it). If they are carriers, that could be really bad.

Remove ads