D&D and the rising pandemic

NotAYakk

Legend
Actually, no, I'm going to disagree. Not doing this is not reasonable. Not masking in public is not reasonable. There is absolutely no reason to not mask 100% of the time the second you walk out the door. That graph up there showing that vertical line? Look where Japan is. THAT'S what happens when everyone is reasonable and masks up.

FFS, if people would just do it for a while we'd be done with this naughty word by now.

Sorry, @NotAYakk, that rant is not directed at you. It's directed at anyone who thinks that it's okay to walk out their door without a mask.
Oh, I was talking about in-house plans if one person is infected.

Infected person stays in room with HEPA filter. Wears N95 mask except when drinking. If needs to use shared space (like bathroom), airs room out (opens window etc) after (and possibly during) use.

Ideally seperste HEPA system in shared space.

But it is reasonable to me for someone to decide they have likely cross infected before diagnosis in an intimate household relationship, and not try the above.

---

Outside of the home, k/n95 masks always (or similar). Or at least level 3, as n95s are in short supply. I get why people din't have these, because messaging has been mixed, but now it really is clear you want them.

Even if it just slows Omicron and lowers the incoming spike.

Zardnaar

Legend
Actually, no, I'm going to disagree. Not doing this is not reasonable. Not masking in public is not reasonable. There is absolutely no reason to not mask 100% of the time the second you walk out the door. That graph up there showing that vertical line? Look where Japan is. THAT'S what happens when everyone is reasonable and masks up.

FFS, if people would just do it for a while we'd be done with this naughty word by now.

Sorry, @NotAYakk, that rant is not directed at you. It's directed at anyone who thinks that it's okay to walk out their door without a mask.

We don't wear then walking out the door either. Government's advice is not needed when exercising.

Context social distancing out in the wilderness or empty street. Not in a gym or whatever.

We wear them around people though. Spent a good chunk of the last week out on walking and hiking trails.

NotAYakk

Legend
We don't wear then walking out the door either. Government's advice is not needed when exercising.

Context social distancing out in the wilderness or empty street. Not in a gym or whatever.

We wear them around people though. Spent a good chunk of the last week out on walking and hiking trails.
Ya, you don't have Omicron in NZ yet. (I think you are a NZer?)

I was working out how big NZ was the other day; your country is roughly half the size of Atlantic Canada with roughly twice the population.

Atlantic Canada manged to weather pre-delta Covid without serious outbreaks. Delta started breaking down its defences, and Omicron is just overrunning it (vertical lines). But it doesn't have "only people arriving are on planes"; it has a large land border. And it did manage to avoid a bunch of infection before it spread vaccines.

Has anyone else read the preprint of some doctors looking into autopsies of people dead with covid (both by and incidentally dead), and finding strong evidence that even asymptomatic covid gets into your brain and reproduces there?

Fun times. Fun times.

Ryujin

Legend

I was working out how big NZ was the other day; your country is roughly half the size of Atlantic Canada with roughly twice the population.

Atlantic Canada manged to weather pre-delta Covid without serious outbreaks. Delta started breaking down its defences, and Omicron is just overrunning it (vertical lines). But it doesn't have "only people arriving are on planes"; it has a large land border. And it did manage to avoid a bunch of infection before it spread vaccines.

Has anyone else read the preprint of some doctors looking into autopsies of people dead with covid (both by and incidentally dead), and finding strong evidence that even asymptomatic covid gets into your brain and reproduces there?

Fun times. Fun times.
New Brunswick was virtually Covid free, due to a complete lockdown, until a medical doctor, of all people, broke the quarantines and went to Quebec. After that he didn't self quarantine and spread it to his patients. The first surge would have been barely a blip in that Province, until then.

EDIT - Link to story New Brunswick outbreak: How a smalltown doctor became a Covid pariah

Last edited:

Thomas Shey

Legend
I also will note it can be tricky finding proper masks. N95's don't don't seem available anywhere accessible to me, and the reviews on most of the KN95's I've looked at seem--dubious (as in its questionable whether they fit the KN95 standard in reality). Currently I'm wearing multilayer masks with filters but I'm not going to claim its ideal.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Well, curses. I hust came down with a fever in the night. My comic and game store only has four employees and myself - two of them are my teenaged children who live with me. Another stayed home yesterday with "flu". That leaves one employee to open the store (as long as she stays well). Otherwise, we are screwed.

And many thousands of dollars worth of stuff that customers need to come pick up. I guess it will wait if it has to, but yikes.

Zardnaar

Legend

Fun times. Fun times.

No omnicron yet, no Covid in my area.

GreyLord

Legend
I also will note it can be tricky finding proper masks. N95's don't don't seem available anywhere accessible to me, and the reviews on most of the KN95's I've looked at seem--dubious (as in its questionable whether they fit the KN95 standard in reality). Currently I'm wearing multilayer masks with filters but I'm not going to claim its ideal.

Yes, I've been lucky with that thus far. When they first started selling them I bought tons of masks. I can't find them anywhere around here anymore, so what I have is it. I'm lucky that I still have a decent supply, but once it is gone I'll have to go online and see if I can somehow determine which are the official ones and which ones are not. It seems hard to figure it out from what I've seen.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Here is a NYT article listing approved N95/KN95 masks and sellers:

Note: Bona Fide Masks may be a bit swamped at the moment. I placed an order just before X-mas. I wasn't expecting much due to the holiday, but I pinged them this morning to get a status update, and got an error back that my e-mail couldn't be delivered because the inbox was full.

Previously, they gave me prompt service, so I take this more to be a sign of the times, not of their overall service.

Remove ads