D&D and the rising pandemic

Ryujin

Legend
It's possible, though I'm speaking specifically about a really serious symptom of lung damage, which doesn't resolve immediately or generally without assistance. It's scary in part because it doesn't FEEL as bad or dangerous as it is.

Have you felt more out of breath/easily winded ever since, or did you for a period of months?
It lasted for about a month and a half, for me. At least a month for other family members. I have pre-existing issues due to several bouts of pneumonia, as a child, which could explain the longer duration.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
It lasted for about a month and a half, for me. At least a month for other family members. I have pre-existing issues due to several bouts of pneumonia, as a child, which could explain the longer duration.
Well, I'm glad you folks are doing better! Definitely take care in the current wave. The curve is like a hockey stick right now, and I don't expect we'll see the other side of this peak until sometime in February.

Hussar

Legend
Yeah, but I didn't claim we were a country of folks who cared about each other, either.

I did not present the USA as a paragon of virtue here, so while knocking down the US on this may feel to you like it is knocking down my point, but you are attacking an unrelated strawman. Japan's workplace suicide rate is high enough to question whether it really has a culture of caring for one another, without any appearance of the US in the discussion.

And in this, we see why discussions go badly.
Heh, this is why reading further in a thread before responding is a must. I totally agree with you here and just spent a few minutes erasing my first, knee jerk response. :D

@Umbran (and anyone else who might know/speculate off the top of their head).

I was listening to an old radio drama where there was a fictional (I think) substance that was a contact poison in its powder form, but not when it was mixed in water. So the way to use it diabolically was to carry it around diluted, paint it on what your target would touch, and then be sure not to touch it yourself after it dried. This got me thinking about cloth masks that are worn for a long time or reused without sitting several days. So, the mask does what we're hoping it does and catches the droplet with the virus because the droplet is well above the minimum size. After the droplet dries, is the virus just sitting on the mask and capable of getting inhaled through?
It depends on the virus. If it dries completely out I believe the capsid breaks and the virus becomes inactive. It's why fomite transmission is considered poor for this virus, although not all enveloped viruses have the same vulnerability.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
So, for folks who like data, and want a way to think about how this current surge is going (at least here in Massachusetts), we can compare this year, to last.

1641526947041.png

1641527023590.png

1641527076005.png

Data from: How this COVID surge compares to last winter, and when it could peak in Massachusetts

Hussar

Legend
I guess I'm just really, really frustrated with having to do the right thing all the time, and then watching people like those Canadian idiots in Mexico - Canadian Idiots Stranded in Mexico - basically act like spoiled children and screw things up for those of us who are actually trying to fix the problem.

If folks had just done what the doctors suggested TWO FREAKING YEARS AGO, we'd be out of this mess by now. Saying that it's "just a difference in culture" doesn't really help frankly. It would be nice if folks would just get with the program so we could finally put this crap behind us.

Zardnaar

Legend
I guess I'm just really, really frustrated with having to do the right thing all the time, and then watching people like those Canadian idiots in Mexico - Canadian Idiots Stranded in Mexico - basically act like spoiled children and screw things up for those of us who are actually trying to fix the problem.

If folks had just done what the doctors suggested TWO FREAKING YEARS AGO, we'd be out of this mess by now. Saying that it's "just a difference in culture" doesn't really help frankly. It would be nice if folks would just get with the program so we could finally put this crap behind us.

We are aware. Unfortunately NZ can't rule the world yet that's our long term plan.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
So, for folks who like data, and want a way to think about how this current surge is going (at least here in Massachusetts), we can compare this year, to last.

Data from: How this COVID surge compares to last winter, and when it could peak in Massachusetts

Are the hospitalization numbers everyone at a hospital who has tested positive, or those with relevant hospital-worthy symptoms or follow-up conditions who tested positive?

Pre-omicron, the hospitalization numbers were what I looked to to see severity, but now I'm not sure. In any case, I continue to be appalled at what information we don't collect uniformly in the states.

Zardnaar

Legend
Gonna attempt a walk in booster tomorrow at 9am when they open.

IMG_20220107_181357.jpg

Tonight's yum yum. All the staff are masked and git vaccine passed for entry.

Still have to scan in on the phone the pass and location tracker are separate things. Phone gets scanned and you scam the QR code.

If they have Moderna gonna try that but it's probably Pfizer. Book in place offers AZ.

Remove ads