D&D and the rising pandemic

Just got my booster shot. It is quite a relief to know that you have an extra layer of protection. The Netherlands is currently dealing with a lot of people that are hesitant to get the booster, believing they don't need it or that it won't protect against the omicron variant.

Ryujin

Legend
I guess I'm just really, really frustrated with having to do the right thing all the time, and then watching people like those Canadian idiots in Mexico - Canadian Idiots Stranded in Mexico - basically act like spoiled children and screw things up for those of us who are actually trying to fix the problem.

If folks had just done what the doctors suggested TWO FREAKING YEARS AGO, we'd be out of this mess by now. Saying that it's "just a difference in culture" doesn't really help frankly. It would be nice if folks would just get with the program so we could finally put this crap behind us.
More than a dozen have already managed to come back on other flights, most likely while Covid positive. It was a bunch of reality TV "stars", social media influencers, and late teens/early 20s. Pretty much guaranteed to be a crap show, and it was. The whole bunch might well end up on the no-fly list.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Are the hospitalization numbers everyone at a hospital who has tested positive, or those with relevant hospital-worthy symptoms or follow-up conditions who tested positive?
You mean, how do they count someone who has broken their leg badly, but is covid-positive and asymptomatic? I don't think they count that as a hospitalization due to covid in these numbers.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
You mean, how do they count someone who has broken their leg badly, but is covid-positive and asymptomatic? I don't think they count that as a hospitalization due to covid in these numbers.

That's what I'm hoping. The names used in the various graphs, tables, etc... aren't all that helpful (and the easily findable graphs don't always go to easily findable definitions). The "New admissions of patients with confirmed COVID-19" from the CDC, for example, sounds like it might count the broken leg who was positive, but not someone admitted who was later discovered to have COVID or someone whose COVID went away but not the horrible pneumonia that came from it. (Some of it is picky, but giving having the official sources give doubters more ammunition at this late stage is bleh.)

Thomas Shey

Legend
People, Governments, Hospitals, Businesses, NGOs, etc. have been manipulating "hospitalized because of covid" vs. "hospitalized with covid" numbers since the pandemic began.

Well, part of the issue is that sometimes the separation isn't as clean as one might like. This comes up in the context of death and what are called "co-morbidities" pretty frequently. When one has three conditions that mutually reinforce, one of which is COVID, how do you count it? Some people want to only do so if COVID is clearly and unequivocally the primary cause, but if you follow that logic far enough, HIV never killed anybody.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
Nice sunny day just got booster. They set up 3 containers in a car park. Dual purpose vax and testing site. 15 minute wait and off. Wasn't very busy only delay was them checking the database. Only option was Pfizer.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Ugh. Hospitalizations for Covid-19 here in MA have increased 40% in a single week.
I guess the silver lining is that Omicron isn't as deadly and vaccinations are much higher than last winter. From the links you provided earlier, the number of Covid cases there is nearly triple what it was last year, but hospitalizations, though a bit higher, are not anywhere near triple. That's something.

Stay safe.

Remove ads