D&D and the rising pandemic

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
We had to part ways with a long-time friend who was living with us at the time. While always conservative, she suddenly went deep into the conspiracy-laden world of Fox, Newsmax and OAN. She’d leave the room if someone tuned into CNN. She was vocally anti-Fauci, the man who co-designed the program that turned out the best immunologists in the country…including my father.

And when she turned out to be anti-vaccine (in general!) and anti-mask? That elevated tension to the point she moved out. (To be clear, we did NOT kick her out.)
My cousin does a big boot hockey weekend with his friends, cousins, and brothers. Obviously its been off for a few years. This year he kicked it off again. His only requirement was that everyone take a rapid swab test. Sit in the garage and drink a beer and wait for the result. If negative, then join the party. No masks, no vax, just a rapid test to make sure nobody had it.

This was too much for his brothers. Not only did they decline, they were very vocal and nasty about it. During the event, my cousin told me a number of times that he likes hanging out with my family now more than his own. :(

Zardnaar

Legend
We had to part ways with a long-time friend who was living with us at the time. While always conservative, she suddenly went deep into the conspiracy-laden world of Fox, Newsmax and OAN. She’d leave the room if someone tuned into CNN. She was vocally anti-Fauci, the man who co-designed the program that turned out the best immunologists in the country…including my father.

And when she turned out to be anti-vaccine (in general!) and anti-mask? That elevated tension to the point she moved out. (To be clear, we did NOT kick her out.)

I struggle with CNN seems long on opinions and it's to American for me.

ABC seems to be the best I can handle.

CNN/aMSNBC are not crazy as such it's just to alarmist, sensationalist. Started using DW (German), and France 24 along with BBC.

Ryujin

Legend
I struggle with CNN seems long on opinions and it's to American for me.

ABC seems to be the best I can handle.

CNN/aMSNBC are not crazy as such it's just to alarmist, sensationalist. Started using DW (German), and France 24 along with BBC.
"If it bleeds, it leads." - North American journalistic aphorism.

Thomas Shey

Legend
"If it bleeds, it leads." - North American journalistic aphorism.

Yeah. There are problems with a lot of news services; I kind of agree with Zardnaar that DW isn't bad. But the combination of antivax and some other traits is just a thing that has settled in the last few years, and it leads to some seriously kneejerk antiscience sentiment in areas we can't afford it.

G

Guest 7034872

BBC is alright. It's the tone of American news media that makes my teeth itch.
Imagine living here. There are literally no news services on t.v. that I can watch while telling myself, "No, it's alright--these folks have no special agenda." For print news there's Reuters and Associated Press, but that's about it. I've been turning to the BBC more and more over the past decade or so.

Zardnaar

Legend
Imagine living here. There are literally no news services on t.v. that I can watch while telling myself, "No, it's alright--these folks have no special agenda." For print news there's Reuters and Associated Press, but that's about it. I've been turning to the BBC more and more over the past decade or so.

I use YouTube generally go with European stuff or Onenews or RNZ for local.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
It's kind of funny, but the BBC has definitely had agendas too. Several years back, they candidly came out about their pushing a deliberately pro-Western agenda during the Cold War. The question - what agenda do they have now?

And that's kind of the point. ALL media outlets are going to have some kind of agenda. Not all of them are going to be politically partisan. Most going to be pro-business/capitalism because that's their economic model. Most are also going to have an eye to curating eye-catching news in order to maintain their market against competitors. Those are all agendas that are going to affect their coverage of topics and events.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
It's kind of funny, but the BBC has definitely had agendas too. Several years back, they candidly came out about their pushing a deliberately pro-Western agenda during the Cold War. The question - what agenda do they have now?

And that's kind of the point. ALL media outlets are going to have some kind of agenda. Not all of them are going to be politically partisan. Most going to be pro-business/capitalism because that's their economic model. Most are also going to have an eye to curating eye-catching news in order to maintain their market against competitors. Those are all agendas that are going to affect their coverage of topics and events.
I was talking about my blood pressure, not others' agendas. I've discovered that American news outlets are bad for my health.

Remove ads