D&D and the rising pandemic

Sadras

Legend
Sure but more stocks can be brought up.
Stocks as in investments? I'm not sure how you'd use them to help you in your day to day ability in financing your life though.

I was a scout. There’s being prepared, and being overprepared. Everything you buy comes with an opportunity cost- not just to other buyers, but to yourself.

Some of that energy & money spent on acquiring TP- for a disease that doesn’t seem to affect the lower GI tract all that much- would be better spent getting things like Tylenol, nitrile gloves or facial tissues.

Energy utilised? Not much. And generally when people do stock up they acquire food and other items too. i.e. long-lasting foods, frozen foods, cleaning materials (soap/toothpaste). It won't be TP in isolation that gets purchased in bulk.

I used to audit a company that manufactured all sorts of cleaning related materials.. i.e. detergents and stuff including toilet paper. They used to refer to toilet paper as white gold. Always thought that was apt. :)

Last edited:

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Steps made to 'save' the economy are important. However, I don't think they are more important than making sure people don't run out of money because they are complying with quarantine and then lose their houses, or jobs, or whatever. And none of that is more important than trying to make sure as few people die as possible in the next while. Prioritizing the economy first is goofy.

NotAYakk

Legend
- Italians sending messages to themselves 10 days ago.

USA, France, UK, Spain, Germany, Denmark are roughly where Italy was 10 days ago, give or take a few days.

#stayathome

Does your job save lives? No? #stayathome

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Steps made to 'save' the economy are important. However, I don't think they are more important than making sure people don't run out of money because they are complying with quarantine and then lose their houses, or jobs, or whatever. And none of that is more important than trying to make sure as few people die as possible in the next while. Prioritizing the economy first is goofy.

It's, ultimately, the same kind of argument you get against any kind of remedy that's challenging to the status quo. You see it all the time about dealing with climate change - that the damage to economic growth is too severe to do anything significantly transformative. In effect, it's just kicking the can down the road until things are worse. And if you succeed, the threat of more dire consequences will fade from memory as counterfactuals and the only thing left will be the record of the economic damage suffered as the "over-reaction" to the crisis.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
They’re talking about an 8 week lockdown and home isolation now. More than 14 days.

"They" are doing this? Who are "they"?

Cite, please, or this becomes fear-based rumor-mongering.

That really should be for everybody. Cite sources, please.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Isn't that what the whole CDC is - "a pandemic response team"?

No. The CDC has a whole lot of function that isn't about acute pandemic response. They are, overall about controlling disease - but that's disease broadly, not just infectious disease. The CDC does everything form pandemic response to studying traffic deaths and heart disease demographics.

Last edited:

Sacrosanct

Legend
"They" are doing this? Who are "they"?

Cite, please, or this becomes fear-based rumor-mongering.

That really should be for everybody. Cite sources, please.

The CDC when it recommended no gatherings of 50 or more for 8 weeks. The way in the past they’ve been giving recommendations, and how the approach to self quarantine has evolved, it’s entirely probable to expect that would extend to families as well shortly.

Remove ads