D&D and the rising pandemic

Zardnaar

Legend
Going back to work is not going to stop economic disruption. Restaurant wholesellers in California, are converting to markets, as the demand by restaurants is decreasing due to closures, but people need to eat, and the produce is going to spoil.

Direct Payments to residents, debt forgiveness, etc, etc are all viable options in an economy like the United States. Free vegetables is viable in California, the Los Angeles Unified School district is currently running the largest foodbank in the United States.

What is lacking is political will and imagination. If we are not willing to try new models, then failure is guaranteed. Someone on Easter Island, had to chop down the last large tree. Somehow, people ignored that the trees were diminishing.

Doing the same old, same old is insane.

Not disagreeing. When I was at University I read a lot on the wartime economies of various nation's.

Had this conversation about a week ago on a different forum.

What needs to be done and what will be done are two different things.

I had the talk with my wife in the weekend, almost made her cry. As late as Friday she thought family lunch was gonna be a thing. She thought I was crazy two weeks ago when I started stocking up before the panic buying really took off.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Deaths from pandemic 1million
Deaths from economic disruption 2 million

Pick one.
Option 1 is probably much worse than you posit. Last week, I read one official believed this outbreak of Covid-19 would ultimately infect 1/4 of the world’s population. If the estimated 1% death rate proves accurate, that’s something like 25M deaths.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Umbran, would you, kindly, share your sources to support this figure?

No accredited paper, (I have seen), supports that figure. I’m not an expert, however.

I don't have a peer reviewed paper (the term "accredited" paper is not one I'm familiar with). Sorry. It was a figure I came upon some years ago while researching something else. I intended it here to simply note that you'd need Great Depression levels of economic dislocation for us to be concerned about it matching the potential disease deaths (which are also just an estimate anyway).

I'm happy to note that it isn't a solid number, and leave it at that.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
Option 1 is probably much worse than you posit. Last week, I read one official believed this outbreak of Covid-19 would ultimately infect 1/4 of the world’s population. If the estimated 1% death rate proves accurate, that’s something like 25M deaths.

The figure that I've heard is up to 70%.

The plan is to have that happen over a long enough period to keep the death rate down.

Zardnaar

Legend

Can't do much about the world just what country you live in can do.

In Spain and Italy they had to make decisions on who gets respirators. That reality hasn't hit the USA yet.

Army has found rest homes where caregivers fled. Full of dead and dying old people no caregivers.

Minimum wage job or close to it with no safety equipment what would you do? How do you judge that.

Even if they stayed what can they do except expose themselves.

That's what I mean here's your options bad, worse, awful. Pick one.

That's the reality we're facing. Our great grandparents had to do it so do we.

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
Oofta I wasn't joking if my wife or myself get sick going into the quarantine room. Basically you have to sweat it out and hope for the best and ring ambulance if you have trouble breathing.
Nah, I get it. We already have a spare bedroom and bathroom in the basement. We've already decided that when I go back to the office (she always works from home) that's where I'll be sleeping. Or if either one of us gets sick.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases