D&D and the rising pandemic

Zardnaar

Legend
I suspect that the after-action report will conclude the term "community spread" was techno-babble to avoid saying "the virus can transmit through the air".

Here it just means they can't trace the source.

Someone in the community has it who hasn't been overseas or had contact with travellers.

If it's airborne you would have a higher number of people. Sounds terrible but Covids very mild as Pandemics go. It's not that fatal not that contagious.

You don't need to yeah for the hills with your favorite selection of AR-15s. Don't be an idiot either.
It's not that hard to overwhelm the health care system though that's the problem.

Not that they can do much anyway they can save a few of the worst effected via Ventilators.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
I suspect that the after-action report will conclude the term "community spread" was techno-babble to avoid saying "the virus can transmit through the air".

I don't think so. Community spread just means that it didn't come directly from a previously known case. It only "transmits through the air" by taking in (symptomatic or not) sick people's recently-breathed water vapour. That's a scientifically different thing than "airborne".

NotAYakk

Legend
"Airborn" means it will fly through (for example) ventilation ducts.

"Breathing" means it is in droplets large enough that they fall to the ground (or other surface) and stick to things.

From what I understand, you can make the novel coronovirus airborn by malfunctioning toilets (it is contained in feces sometimes, and the toilet can aerosolize it) or when intubating a person (shoving a breathing tube down someone's throat and pressurizing it). But these are not normal, everyday events.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
They are puzzled thus far why it's not hit California cities as hard if not harder than New York, especially as it appeared to get it's start in California in the US. California can get humid on the coast, but it's nothing compared to how humid the US's east coast gets.

This may matter more than weather:

Californian cities are high in population, but also large in area. So, Californian population density is lower, and that helps control spread. The New York Metropolitan area has ten of the eleven highest population density incorporated areas in the country.

Zardnaar

Legend
This may matter more than weather:

Californian cities are high in population, but also large in area. So, Californian population density is lower, and that helps control spread. The New York Metropolitan area has ten of the eleven highest population density incorporated areas in the country.

Forgot to mention that. Italy also has high density in the north.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter

As others have said - no, this is incorrect. "Community spread" is an epidemiology term, meaning that a case cannot be traced to a known source.

Being "airborne" also means something specific, that thankfully does not generally happen with covid-19

Zardnaar

Legend
SPPS update.
1 more death, elderly man 3rd linked to the same rest home. 5 total. All 5 elderly

19 new cases, 15 confirmed, 4 probable.

4 in ICU

Remove ads