D&D and the rising pandemic

NotAYakk

Legend
It took about 3 weeks to go from 10k deaths to 100k deaths.

At this point, increasing numbers of deaths are going unreported. But at that growth rate, by the end of April, 1 million deaths.

Now, the current known hotspots are all self isolating. And it took a month to go from 100k cases to 1M cases.

I suspect the control measures where it is hot right now will bend the curve down. Then the places where it isn't hot will heat up.

As an exponential curve, the contribution from areas where it is going 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, 32 is currently small. The areas where it goes from 1000 to 1200 to 1440 contribute more numbers, even as they grow slower in percentages. So the global curve will flatten; but that is sort of an illusion, because more and more areas will start heating up.

With the usual 20 day delay, those increasingly hot areas will either need to lockdown just as the rest of the world thinks it is beat, or they will explode.

Sweden is an example of this. They haven't really engaged in serious social distancing, with the theory that their health care system can handle young people getting sick, and asked older people to self isolate.

Their deaths/day are growing at a rate of 20%-25% ... per day. Except it takes weekends off in Sweden (which it isn't; it just means that their tracking system is taking weekends off. Which means they are probably missing a lot of cases if they are that slack.)

Go here: Sweden Coronavirus: 10,483 Cases and 899 Deaths - Worldometer and scroll down to daily deaths. Notice that every 7 days there is a massive dip in deaths for 2 days. Which then ramps up for the week.

If they have a 3.4% mortality rate and infect half the country, they cap out at around 170,000 deaths. Assuming they are missing half of the deaths due to their slackness, this is 100x more deaths than they have right now. At +20% deaths/day this takes 25 days.

In a sense, the disease spreads like how rocket ships approach the speed of light. As you saturate the population, the "cost" to spread climbs. For a ridiculously simple model, you can set real_infected = population ( 1-1/virtual_infected ). For virtual_infected far less than the popluation, this is real_infected =~ virtual_infected; but it requires an infinitely large virtual_infected to reach population saturation.

Getting to 50% saturation in this model requires 4 more days than in the more naive model above. But real people recover and become immune, which bends the curve down moreso with this model than it does with one without herd immunity.

Now as you approach saturation, growth slows, because the virus finds more immune people (or already infected people) when it tries to spread.

Also, your growth rate in deaths is locked in for 20 days after you change policy and behavior.

So we get an interesting experiment out of Sweden over the next month. If Covid-19 is far less deadly than everyone else thinks it is, or their elder isolation is successful, we learn something. If not, Sweden becomes awash in corpses.

Note that Sweden's government is being lobbied by doctors to change course, and they have refused to do so, and have refused to release any models saying why they are going this way. They just state that they are aiming for herd immunity.

They could be right in a few ways. (1) Covid-19 might be less lethal than we think, (2) they might be protecting their vulnerable better than we think, (3) Covid-19 might be harder to contain than we think, and our social distancing is mostly useless.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
2) Those airports mean that they start travelling domestically if they return to "business as usual".
IF the airport on the other end decides the trip is "essential travel". They may turn the plane back in mid-air or refuse the passengers permission to leave the plane while it is refueled to go home.

Marsailles Int'l Airport (France) refused a couple of British rich playboys permission to get out of their plane and go self-quarantine in a villa near Cannes, because attending a party is non-essential travel. Even after the group leader offered to just pay the fines and proceed on his merry way, and after he insinuated he could offer bribes. This story has to be getting around in airport-employee circles.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
IF the airport on the other end decides the trip is "essential travel".

I am pretty sure nobody is screening your reason for domestic travel on the landing side. Find a cite for me if I am incorrect on that. If nothing else, doing that'd be terribly inefficient. You should screen for reason for travel before boarding.

They may turn the plane back in mid-air or refuse the passengers permission to leave the plane while it is refueled to go home.

Upon what basis do you figure they're going to do this? What information are they going to have that they wouldn't have when letting you on the plane in the first place?

NotAYakk

Legend
I am pretty sure nobody is screening your reason for domestic travel on the landing side. Find a cite for me if I am incorrect on that. If nothing else, doing that'd be terribly inefficient. You should screen for reason for travel before boarding.

Upon what basis do you figure they're going to do this? What information are they going to have that they wouldn't have when letting you on the plane in the first place?
In the case of the USA, the departing state may be fine with travel, the arriving state may not be.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
My point is that there is a lot of empty space that makes it hard for the virus to travel out from texan populations in multiple directions toward other parts (though not all parts) of the usa.

The Atlantic and Pacific oceans are big empty spaces. Didn’t help. It’s not like the virus flies hundreds of miles by itself; people travel across empty spaces.

Unless your implication is that people don’t travel to or from Texas.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I wouldn't put money on it.

Summer will slow the rate for the simple reason it's already killed the most vulnerable and enough of the population will be in hiding regardless of what the governors say.
It’s a global pandemic. It was summer in the Southern Hemisphere when all this started.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

The only example I’ve seen were some rich Brits who chartered a private plane to France- and some helicopters for use IN France- who were turned away after landing but without being allowed to deplane.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
This was sadly predictable:

TL;DR: pandemic lockdown has cut the food market (approximately) in half, even as people eat at home more. Recycling the perfectly good food in situ is more efficient & logical than trying to harvest & ship the food to groceries and food shelters that are already at capacity.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases