D&D and the rising pandemic

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Trump is ending federal funding for testing.

They really don't want to have public data about this.

The unfortunate thing is that testing isn't just there for people like me who like to look at numbers. It is essential for informing about outbreaks and conducting contact tracing to stop those outbreaks from spreading.

Though some think that it may be too late for even contact tracing (that is, the amount of contact tracing that is needed is far too great than what could be provided) in some areas as community spread widens.

I hate this. I don't care how you feel about Trump. This was a stupid, selfish move. It's not political, it's purely human decency.

NotAYakk

Legend
The epidemic in the USA could ve defeated.

First you break the country into cells. In each cell you maintain social distancing. And you restrict travel between.

Most importantly, you ban large and indoor gatherings.

Next, in urban areas, do wastewater testing. When there is an RNA spike ramp up restrictions.

Start testing everyone with a sniffle as well. Pay the company for 24 hour sick leave for sniffles if the employee gets a C19 test.

Add contact tracing apps. Ping everyone who was near someone positive.

Measure Re as well as you can, constantly, and work out what measures have the best bang for buck.

Eradicate it in some cells. They become green zones; lighter restrictions, but thicker restrictions coming from yellow zones.

You'll kill it off in a few months. Manual contact tracing is just the final phase when you have mostly choked it off.

Of course, any politician who needs mass ralleys to make money will object.

Nagol

Unimportant

First you break the country into cells. In each cell you maintain social distancing. And you restrict travel between.

Most importantly, you ban large and indoor gatherings.

Next, in urban areas, do wastewater testing. When there is an RNA spike ramp up restrictions.

Start testing everyone with a sniffle as well. Pay the company for 24 hour sick leave for sniffles if the employee gets a C19 test.

Add contact tracing apps. Ping everyone who was near someone positive.

Measure Re as well as you can, constantly, and work out what measures have the best bang for buck.

Eradicate it in some cells. They become green zones; lighter restrictions, but thicker restrictions coming from yellow zones.

You'll kill it off in a few months. Manual contact tracing is just the final phase when you have mostly choked it off.

Of course, any politician who needs mass ralleys to make money will object.

A decent skeleton of a plan for areas that are in any way self-sufficient. That's... pretty much nowhere in modern states. Trying cell isolation whilst still importing food, medicine, and other supplies will fail. Now, the failures may be sparse enough you can control the additional outbreaks.

NotAYakk

Legend
A decent skeleton of a plan for areas that are in any way self-sufficient. That's... pretty much nowhere in modern states. Trying cell isolation whilst still importing food, medicine, and other supplies will fail. Now, the failures may be sparse enough you can control the additional outbreaks.
You don't need to interact face to face to transport food, or most supplirs.

Canada is right next to the USA with ridiculously interrtwined supply chains. Shutting down non-essential travel let Canada drop its infection rate independently from the USA.

Covud 19 mostly transmits from talking and breathing. Not from "being in the area".

The point of cells is to permit local success to happen, and focus interventions where the problem is worse. You'll get some transmission, so you'll want to keep Re in a clean cell under 1; introduced cases self extinguish instead of explode, but in yellow/red cells you plummit Re down to 0.5 or lower.

ad_hoc

(they/them)

I just don't think that is true because of the culture.

This is a crisis where everyone needs to work together.

Hopefully some areas will be okay. Ironically, New York State may actually come out of this in relatively good shape.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Hopefully some areas will be okay. Ironically, New York State may actually come out of this in relatively good shape.

At this point, most of the northeast could probably be okay if they cooperated on it. MA is doing fine - at this point, we'll be okay if we control major events coming from outside the state.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
At this point, I'm very pessimistic about the outcome of the pandemic in the US. There are still many, many people in my county that refuse to follow social distancing rules, mask wearing rules, and they still deny the existence of the disease and/or the severity.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
It’s worse than that: there are now forged/faked documents floating around that people are using to fraudulently claim they need to be exempted from wearing masks due to illness or medical conditions. I’ve been telling my friends & family who work in retail and food service that if they are shown such a document, they need to call the police.

Remove ads