D&D and the rising pandemic

ad_hoc

(they/them)
US death toll from COVID 19 is likely to be roughly 25% higher than reported. That would put the current death toll at over 160 000.

Some states are under reporting a lot. The study found that California is likely to be under reporting by 40% while Texas and Arizona are over 50%.

Theo R Cwithin

I cast "Baconstorm!"
Zombie movies that don't have hordes of people running towards the zombies because they are convinced it is a hoax are not going to seem realistic anymore.
However... a COVID-type party might be an fun, a propos twist on an opening scene of a zombie horror flick.

GreyLord

Legend
Minor gripe...

I am torn about all the churches that want to meet, and the skeptical side of me feels it is more over money than religion...especially churches that are trying to start up in places where the pandemic numbers are rising drastically.

Why would they do this!? It makes no sense to me if they actually cared about their members.

Makes the skeptic in me feel it's all about money rather than anything dealing with what they teach in general.

Which is odd, because I am actually HIGHLY religious (Christian). I'm lucky in that my church hasn't started up in this way, taking a far more cautious outlook, but I hear of churches starting up in areas where the virus is spreading like wildfire and it dampens my enthusiasm, and it may even be affecting my faith a bit in religion.

I'm not sure what I'd do if my church decided it was time to meet. Probably not go until this is all blown over. It would be a struggle between my personal faith and what they think should be being done. I consider myself pretty religious, maybe even hardcore religious at times, so having these feelings about churches starting up is dividing me up.

I would think they should know Churches are one of the primary vectors for the spread of disease, and during the spread of a dangerous disease, they tend to be a hotspot of spreading. We've seen several events where churches have been the hotspot of the spread of members that attend them.

It probably is that I just do not understand why this is happening and why churches feel they have to meet. So much simpler to play RPGs online...which I did tonight.

Can't catch a disease from portal or messenger. Was only about 2 hours long though. Pretty focused on the game. One of the current players is a doctor. He mentioned before we began about seeing when this will all settle down, but that it may be a while before we can see each other in person or hold sessions in person. He is probably more religious than I am, but he was pretty critical of people ignoring science. I'm not sure of what is happening as he didn't go into detail, but as things are heating up in my area (pandemic wise) I think he may be experiencing something or some stuff at the hospital that he isn't really talking to us about.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Even if, theologically, going to church via YouTube at 4AM is every bit as valid as attending church services at noon down the road, it just doesn’t feel the same.

I can say that I personally miss the community and communication from attending church in person. I miss the music. Like a grade school kid, there are certain people I only see on church grounds, and I miss them. I even miss seeing & hearing the kids misbehaving- sometimes, they are riotously funny.

But like I said, I personally won’t be attending live services until things dramatically improve.

Zardnaar

Legend
Minor gripe...

I am torn about all the churches that want to meet, and the skeptical side of me feels it is more over money than religion...especially churches that are trying to start up in places where the pandemic numbers are rising drastically.

Why would they do this!? It makes no sense to me if they actually cared about their members.

Makes the skeptic in me feel it's all about money rather than anything dealing with what they teach in general.

Which is odd, because I am actually HIGHLY religious (Christian). I'm lucky in that my church hasn't started up in this way, taking a far more cautious outlook, but I hear of churches starting up in areas where the virus is spreading like wildfire and it dampens my enthusiasm, and it may even be affecting my faith a bit in religion.

I'm not sure what I'd do if my church decided it was time to meet. Probably not go until this is all blown over. It would be a struggle between my personal faith and what they think should be being done. I consider myself pretty religious, maybe even hardcore religious at times, so having these feelings about churches starting up is dividing me up.

I would think they should know Churches are one of the primary vectors for the spread of disease, and during the spread of a dangerous disease, they tend to be a hotspot of spreading. We've seen several events where churches have been the hotspot of the spread of members that attend them.

It probably is that I just do not understand why this is happening and why churches feel they have to meet. So much simpler to play RPGs online...which I did tonight.

Can't catch a disease from portal or messenger. Was only about 2 hours long though. Pretty focused on the game. One of the current players is a doctor. He mentioned before we began about seeing when this will all settle down, but that it may be a while before we can see each other in person or hold sessions in person. He is probably more religious than I am, but he was pretty critical of people ignoring science. I'm not sure of what is happening as he didn't go into detail, but as things are heating up in my area (pandemic wise) I think he may be experiencing something or some stuff at the hospital that he isn't really talking to us about.

Politics and religion don't tend to mix well. It's why they're banned here and in polite company you don't tend to be to fanatic about it.

Watch The Family on Netflix. Carried to far sometimes things can be to fatalistic (God wills it or heavens better).

So you've got lots of overlapping
Even if, theologically, going to church via YouTube at 4AM is every bit as valid as attending church services at noon down the road, it just doesn’t feel the same.

I can say that I personally miss the community and communication from attending church in person. I miss the music. Like a grade school kid, there are certain people I only see on church grounds, and I miss them. I even miss seeing & hearing the kids misbehaving- sometimes, they are riotously funny.

But like I said, I personally won’t be attending live services until things dramatically improve.

It's like D&D. The social element is important IMHO. Community bonding etc.

Remove ads