D&D and the rising pandemic

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
I think what will happen is where possible they will lock down individuals and families vs whole cities.

Crazies got throughout rejected last night as well.

Like it or not Auckland's fairly critical for the country. I would be more surprised if there's no further outbreaks.

Met my first person who knew someone with Covid. Our usual waitress is from the UK and her brother back home got it.
That seems more likely, I think last update Bloomfield mentioned that they weren't considering lockdowns yet so that's good news. Hopefully this cluster is contained.

I met anyone who's had someone affected by covid yet. The benefit of our fast lockdown i guess. So far no one has mentioned overseas relatives. Makes me wonder if this is why people don't believe in the pandemic, they don't know anyone affected by it so they don't think its real.

Zardnaar

Legend
That seems more likely, I think last update Bloomfield mentioned that they weren't considering lockdowns yet so that's good news. Hopefully this cluster is contained.

I met anyone who's had someone affected by covid yet. The benefit of our fast lockdown i guess. So far no one has mentioned overseas relatives. Makes me wonder if this is why people don't believe in the pandemic, they don't know anyone affected by it so they don't think its real.

Back in March or April I looked at Italy and multiplied the numbers by ten.

Italy has a population of 60 million.

Even with the X10 number that's something like one in a thousand deaths.

It's where Peru is at.

So the odds are excellent the average person doesn't know anyone who died.

In USA maybe 2% confirmed to have it, I'm not sure what the exact number is right now as I stopped checking a while ago.

In NZ it functionally doesn't exist you hear about it in the media. Our waitress was the first person I met who personally knew anyone with it. And that's in the UK.

Media is all over it, I don't watch the news I just read Reuters/BBC and a few other sites like RNZ. Satellite dish got knocked a decade or so ago and we use internet all the time anyway.

So basically you don't see it, don't experience it and don't know anyone who has so it kind of falls into the category of starving children in Africa. You know it happens but you don't see it, experience it or know anyone who has.

That's going to vary by what country you are in of course.

The rest is conspiracy type stupity online that is quite rare in real life. We've good 19000 morons here out of 5 million.

Mikeythorn

Explorer
I hope this doesn’t stray into politics, but I thought this 4 minute interview was a great example of how to deal with Covid conspiracy theorists.

By way of context, the person being interviewed is a New Zealand politician who was thrown out of his (mainstream) party and so joined a pandemic denying, 5G fearing, anti-vacc political outfit instead (and which attracted the 19000 moron votes Zardnaar mentioned above).

Zardnaar

Legend
I hope this doesn’t stray into politics, but I thought this 4 minute interview was a great example of how to deal with Covid conspiracy theorists.

By way of context, the person being interviewed is a New Zealand politician who was thrown out of his (mainstream) party and so joined a pandemic denying, 5G fearing, anti-vacc political outfit instead (and which attracted the 19000 moron votes Zardnaar mentioned above).

Without looking Tova O'Brien.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
OMG.

At times, I swear she was measuring him up to see if she could make a coat out of him as she lined up another swing with her rhetorical club.

Probably won’t change any minds, but that was a thing of beauty.

And I don’t think that style would work well in current day USA. We’ve already got people wearing shirts suggesting the lynching of journalists. A young, female journalist getting confrontational with an American analog of that fellow would just play into their narrative.

Zardnaar

Legend
I just got around to watching that interview not to long ago.

Ouch.

I read about it this morning but wife injured herself hospital etc.

Kia kaha!

Istbor

Dances with Gnolls

I wish that I could just 'take a rest' if the future of my entire career in my industry was suddenly washed. Must be nice to have that parachute.

And I don’t think that style would work well in current day USA. We’ve already got people wearing shirts suggesting the lynching of journalists. A young, female journalist getting confrontational with an American analog of that fellow would just play into their narrative.
The style wouldn't work in the US because the guy would just constantly interrupt the reporter, talk over her, and generally not allow her to speak.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases