• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D Beyond Launches on August 15th for $3-6/m

$3/ month isn't that bad. And you really only need it if you want to use homebrew.

$3/ month isn't that bad. And you really only need it if you want to use homebrew.

dwayne

Adventurer
If I buy a hard bound book, I then have to buy the same one again for this? if so no will pass on it. But would if say I paid for a hard copy and got it free or for like a few bucks on it with prof of purches or something.

Sadras

Legend
We usually play at my house, I have the core books as well as ToD and OotA APs and will likely purchase another PHB in the future given that my PHB has just started to show signs of wear and tear.
We use an Obsidian Portal account to keep track of our campaign and I manage everything else through excel, word and the Homebrewery. I have copies of the core and the APs I use in pirated pdf.

This option, although I appreciate it, is not for me or my table. Paper, pencil and our OP site is more than enough to keep track of things.

schnee

First Post
It's almost... as if building content for digital distribution is time consuming and requires skilled people to put in time, so you have to pay for that.

And, running the servers, maintenance, and further development needs to be paid for somehow. You have to pay for that too.

Wow. Who'd have thought it.

My table will almost certainly go in. Since we have 10-12 people, it'll be cheap.

Rhuarc

Explorer
Is there already a way to customize monsters or create new ones from scratch and save them for later use? Not sure of the 'homebrew' aspect of the tool covers this as of today.

T

TDarien

Is there already a way to customize monsters or create new ones from scratch and save them for later use? Not sure of the 'homebrew' aspect of the tool covers this as of today.

Yes, right now you can homebrew Monsters, Magic Items, and Spells, IIRC. More will be added.

xanstin

Explorer
You're not purchasing the books a third time. You're purchasing functionality.

Absolutely correct as I also only purchased functionality for FG but regardless of symantics I am again paying money to see the same content on a new platform which is all licensed by the same company. The price of admission is just to high even more so as you highlight the fact that alll your doing is enabling functionality.

I just don't want to keep repaying to acces a book I own across several platforms, much like I won't buy skyrim for PC, ps4 and Xbox just to have it available just in case I need it that day on that device. When you buy an app on an iPhone guess what you also get it for your iPad. I am sure there is a way wizards could of administered this through DMsG in which perhaps you buy a digital unlock of a book and while they refuse to let you have the PDF you get said functionality on various platforms.

Last edited by a moderator:

GlassJaw

Hero
While the functionality for D&D Beyond might be great, I still can't understand why they don't offer PDFs at the same time. There's no reason you can't have both. The fact that I have to buy books again AND only access them through their proprietary digital portal is a non-starter for me. The internet graveyard is full of proprietary junk ware. It doesn't work.

I hope Beyond is successful. WotC certainly needs a win in the digital space. But they are hamstrung by Hasbro's absolute fear and misunderstanding of the digital space.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
If I buy a hard bound book, I then have to buy the same one again for this? if so no will pass on it. But would if say I paid for a hard copy and got it free or for like a few bucks on it with prof of purches or something.

Reality doesn't work the way you want it to work. Welcome to the world.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads