D&D Beyond Launches on August 15th for $3-6/m

$3/ month isn't that bad. And you really only need it if you want to use homebrew.

$3/ month isn't that bad. And you really only need it if you want to use homebrew.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Sure and so because of that Hasbro could not direct WotC to say for example impact on the flexibility of the D&D team? Is that how being a wholly owned subsidiary works?

Oh no that's not what I meant by that. Hasbro can technically tell them to do anything. I meant realistically, nothing about Hasbro's stock will cause them to get into the details of the D&D's flexibility. It's so not on their radar that their stock price is completely disconnected from the intricacies of the D&D team.

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
It was evidence illustrating that I'm not lazy, and that I put a great deal of effort into things that I do.
Which isn't supported by your own evidence. You say you're not lazy and then say you're not willing to put in the effort to use DDB for free. Which one is it? You can't be both. And then you say you're willing to pay for things, but not willing to pay for this. Again, which one is it? You can't be both.

The rest was just self-aggrandisement and appealing to yourself as an authority to justify your opinion as being evidence when it's nothing more than you saying you don't want to do something because you don't like it. You don't have an argument, you have an opinion. An opinion that you're doing everything in your power to justify despite the facts.

MechaPilot

Explorer
You say you're not lazy and then say you're not willing to put in the effort to use DDB for free. Which one is it? You can't be both.

You assume that because I choose not to spend effort on using one thing that I am lazy. That's like assuming someone who worked her butt off all day is lazy because she dines out instead of cooking and then doing dishes.

And then you say you're willing to pay for things, but not willing to pay for this. Again, which one is it? You can't be both.

You assume that being willing to pay for things means being willing to pay for anything dangled in front of one's face. I already have the 5e PHB. Barring casualty or theft of the original, I will not buy another one. I simply will not pay for the same content twice, which according to the OP is what DDB's pay scheme wants us to do.

The release date will be this August 15th!
. . . Volo’s Guide to Monsters, which will cost a fixed, one-time price of $30. Adventure modules, such as Curse of Strahd, will cost $25 (though special Founders’ Pricing on the first seven days after launch will instead be $20). Free accounts can purchase these supplements as well, and no content will be lost if your paid subscription lapses."

Or, are you calling the OP a liar?

Which isn't supported by your own evidence.

If you think a lazy person will earn four Summa Cum Laude degrees while working, taking care of an elderly father, and creating two homebrew settings, you must need a refresher on the definition of the word.

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
If you think a lazy person will earn four Summa Cum Laude degrees while working, taking care of an elderly father, and creating two homebrew settings, you must need a refresher on the definition of the word.

Lol, first you say, "One does not equal the other," and then you use an argument of, "One equals this other."

I'm done with you.

fantasmamore

Explorer
I do own the content because I already paid WotC for access to the content. If DDB wants to sell me something, they'd better not try to sell me access to content I already have access to.

We own the content but not the functionality. What they are selling is the search feature or the digital adaptation of the content - for example the copy-paste to another program or the character creation with a few clicks - things that you cannot do with a book.

If I have to do the work myself, what is the point of using the product?

Ok, it's not for everyone. I want to copy the text of a spell on a card that I designed, I cannot do this with the book (I'd have to type the text). They sell us the tool. Again, not everybody needs that tool.

I do mind being charged for the same content twice.

Everybody does. But you have to understand that it's not about the content. If you buy a DVD and then want to watch the film on your tablet you must buy / rent it again from a service like Google Play or manually convert it by using specific software. No matter what you do, you pay again for the same content - but with a different way to consume it.

"here's our product, you have to do all the work yourself, can't you see how this makes your life easier/better" is horrible marketing.

No, it's not. It's freedom! It's a new tool that will help me experience the content in new ways. It's awesome!

[...] But sure, I'm lazy.

Most of us have a tight schedule. I believe that at some point it would be better if they paid us with time, not money. But we chose a hobby that requires "work" from our part. That's good because we can differentiate our experience and create stories and memories that are unique to us. Someone that plays a video game most of the time cannot intervene or change drastically the game - he just follows. He cannot always create a new story a new item or a new villain. We can. But we have to work for it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

MechaPilot

Explorer
Lol, first you say, "One does not equal the other," and then you use an argument of, "One equals this other."

Comparing a single instance of choosing not to use something with a decade long history of hard work, sacrifice, and academic excellence (as you are doing) is laughable on its face.

I'm done with you.

Really? Oh, drat. I was so looking forward to you explaining how the OP didn't actually mean what it said when it said the following:

. . . Volo’s Guide to Monsters, which will cost a fixed, one-time price of $30. Adventure modules, such as Curse of Strahd, will cost $25 (though special Founders’ Pricing on the first seven days after launch will instead be $20). Free accounts can purchase these supplements as well, and no content will be lost if your paid subscription lapses."

MechaPilot

Explorer
We own the content but not the functionality. What they are selling is the search feature or the digital adaptation of the content - for example the copy-paste to another program or the character creation with a few clicks - things that you cannot do with a book.

With the basic program, I agree that's what they're doing. That's why I don't have any issues at all with them charging (or imposing ads) for use of the program. However, the OP very clearly indicates that the content WotC published in adventures and expansion books (such as Volo's) will have to be separately purchased for use with the app, without regard for us having already purchased a physical copy from WotC.

Ok, it's not for everyone. I want to copy the text of a spell on a card that I designed, I cannot do this with the book (I'd have to type the text). They sell us the tool. Again, not everybody needs that tool.

You're absolutely right about that. I have no problem with them selling a tool that makes accessing D&D content easier.

Everybody does. But you have to understand that it's not about the content. If you buy a DVD and then you want to watch the film on your tablet you must buy / rent it again from a service like Google Play or manually convert it by using specific software. No matter what you do, you pay again for the same content - but with a different way to consume it.

Look. I get that progress marches on, and changes in tech are an inherent part of that. In large part, I either don't mind that, or I enjoy it. But, no one enjoys having to repurchase things they already own. Making that experience part of the marketing for a product is a bad idea.

Also, as someone who doesn't own a cellphone or tablet, and isn't in the habit of bringing a laptop to the gaming table, it's pretty clear that DDB probably has next to nothing to offer me; especially nothing that would be worth repurchasing my existing D&D 5e library.

Re DVDs, I have several DVDs that I have converted to digital files using DVD Shrink. It took next to no effort, and it ran in the background while I was doing other things. Now my entire DVD library is stored digitally, for consumption at my convenience.

No, it's not. It's freedom! It's a new tool that will help me experience the content in new ways. It's awesome!

In regard to just the tool part, sure. In regard to having to repurchase material we already own, I strongly disagree.

Most of us have a tight schedule. I believe that at some time it would be better if they paid us with time, not money. But we chose a hobby that requires "work" from our part. That is good because we can differentiate our experience and create stories and memories that are unique to us. Someone that plays a video game most of the time cannot intervene or change drastically the game - he just follows. He cannot always create a new story a new item or a new villain. We can. But we have to work for it. :)

Agreed. D&D, especially on the part of DMs, is very often the definition of a labor of love. It takes a great deal of effort to create things from whole cloth. But, when you do and you see your players having fun, and you're having fun as well, it's well worth it. I don't think anyone here is really debating that.

schnee

First Post
So you're volunteering to pay for my subscription then? I mean, if you can't afford TWO STARBUCKS COFFEES A MONTH then you obviously have bigger issues in your life. How many Starbucks coffees does something have to cost before you stop being a smarmy jerk about it?

First, no. :)

Second, sure, it was sanctimonious as hell, I'll own that. If I admit that, you should admit complaining about the cost of a luxury online subscription service is incredibly entitled and whiny. There are no winners here. :)

Why is the thing I said pushing your buttons so much? I didn't post it at you.

Remathilis

Legend
With the basic program, I agree that's what they're doing. That's why I don't have any issues at all with them charging (or imposing ads) for use of the program. However, the OP very clearly indicates that the content WotC published in adventures and expansion books (such as Volo's) will have to be separately purchased for use with the app, without regard for us having already purchased a physical copy from WotC.

So, how exactly do you propose WotC verify you own a PHB? Take a selfie and mail it in? Honor system? Send them your PHB with a sase and they'll mail it back to you with a code? I'm genuinely curious, since you have extensive education, how you plan on proving I actually bought the PHB?

WotC learned in 4e that having all-access to all books in the DB for a monthly fee meant a lot of people didn't buy supplement books, they waited for the stuff made it into the DDi. Further, a one time fee to get what it's currently available and have WotC and Curse break even would be in the hundreds of dollars range.

So I'll wait to see what system you come up with that isn't rife with fraud that gets me my free access to the PHB.

Remove ads

Remove ads