D&D Beyond Launches on August 15th for $3-6/m

$3/ month isn't that bad. And you really only need it if you want to use homebrew.

$3/ month isn't that bad. And you really only need it if you want to use homebrew.

fjw70

Adventurer
Another thing is that I can finally run the 5e APs. I prefer running things digitally when I can so I have been waiting for this.

Remathilis

Legend
? They verify folks as owners of books all the time. It's how they decide to replace a book that's falling apart. Usually it's just a photo.
So me and all seven of my friends can buy one copy of Xanthar's Guide to Everything, each take a photo with it in our homes with our own cameras, and then each of us send the pic to WotC. We'll each get a digital copy of Xanthar's Guide, and if we want we can even return the book to Amazon for a refund. Brilliant!

darjr

I crit!
So me and all seven of my friends can buy one copy of Xanthar's Guide to Everything, each take a photo with it in our homes with our own cameras, and then each of us send the pic to WotC. We'll each get a digital copy of Xanthar's Guide, and if we want we can even return the book to Amazon for a refund. Brilliant!

Don't be petulant and absurd. They verify folks as owners of books with as little as a photo right now. And then ship a book out at their own expense. Don't pretend like it's impossible or absurd.

Don't be petulant and absurd. They verify folks as owners of books with as little as a photo right now. And then ship a book out at their own expense. Don't pretend like it's impossible or absurd.
He's not being absurd. Those same pictures will verify if a book is damaged. While I guess you could still pass around a damaged book to your friends (although WotC might be suspicious if they see the same damage over and over again, while undamaged books would of course all look the same), you certainly wouldn't be able to return it to Amazon at that point.

Sent from my VS987 using EN World mobile app

JRedmond

Explorer

He does have a valid point. The number of people who have submitted for a replacement book will be a lot less than this venture. They are willing to suck it up and take the loss for those people who are scamming with a replacement book. There is a lot higher of a chance of this happening with D&D Beyond. Realistically the only way I would ever see them doing this is to start printing bar codes on the new books and cover the books in plastic wrap to prevent people from walking into Barnes and Noble and scanning the code.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
He does have a valid point. The number of people who have submitted for a replacement book will be a lot less than this venture. They are willing to suck it up and take the loss for those people who are scamming with a replacement book. There is a lot higher of a chance of this happening with D&D Beyond. Realistically the only way I would ever see them doing this is to start printing bar codes on the new books and cover the books in plastic wrap to prevent people from walking into Barnes and Noble and scanning the code.

Even then I've been to a few FLGSs that let customers peruse before buying. I'm sure there are quite a few that do this.

JRedmond

Explorer
Even then I've been to a few FLGSs that let customers peruse before buying. I'm sure there are quite a few that do this.

Right another reason this concept is very hard to do. Maybe a code from the FLGS when purchased or emailed when it comes to Amazon? Either way point is it would not be easy to accomplish this.

darjr

I crit!

I disagree with your first point.

I think your second is a very good point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads