D&D Beyond Launches on August 15th for $3-6/m

$3/ month isn't that bad. And you really only need it if you want to use homebrew.

$3/ month isn't that bad. And you really only need it if you want to use homebrew.

It is currently available even in the Beta if you want to try it out. But you first have two options:

1. Use an existing monster as a template
  2. Create from scratch

It looks like it functions the same either way (I haven't used it heavily yet, but played around a little), just using an existing monster pre-populates the fields.

Things like ability scores, size, type, alignment, CR, AC, Immunity/Resistance, hit points, skills, senses, movement types, and such are all data fields. Special traits, actions, reactions, legendary actions, etc. are text areas you can enter formatted text.

The data fields then all tie into their filters, and the textboxes are searchable as plain text. It is not there currently, but the developers have said there will be the ability to increase or decrease the CR of monsters and have some of the values change automatically. I'm interested to see how that will work and whether it will be with homebrew monsters.

Ideally, they could turn the attacks (or at least their standard melee and ranged attacks) into data fields rather than plain text, but they are not that way right now. However, they have said they will continually improve upon it over time.

So it's a decent start, but with room to grow. Every field that is an actual data field rather than plain text is a great hook for future functionality. I hope it's successful enough to start making use of more of those hooks.
I have to agree, after playing around with it myself last night, that it's pretty impressive even in beta stage. I was able to input my Fire Giant Duke from my Homebrew Giant Elites quickly and with minimal difficulty. Knowing that we'll be seeing further monster functionality such as CR adjustments and encounter planning makes it all the better. What really drives me crazy though is that it already lists every monster from every source, even the APs, but you can't access them all yet, obviously. That's a really smart way to do it, show potential customers the full menu to tempt them off the SRD diet, so to speak...

Sent from my VS987 using EN World mobile app

You say that it is not a difficult distinction while failing to see the distinction between wanting new content and getting old content in a new way.

Anyone who claims that DnD Beyond is the new content that we have been waiting for is , well lets just say mistaken.

When did I do either of those?

Tony Vargas

Legend
Certainly sounds like a smarter pricing scheme than DDI, off-line tools, which gave you pretty much all the content out there, and even just trusted you to stop using it after your subscription lapsed.

It may be minimal subscription revenue, but at least it won't cannibalize book sales, this time.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
The subscription fees seem fine. However, the price point for rulebooks and adventures is a bit high IMO.

You seem to think I claimed that buying DnD Beyond is buying the same book again.

I claimed that DnD Beyond is not new content. Xanathar's Guide to Everything is new content. See the distinction there.

I thought you claimed that with this statement:

Since when does releasing the same product twice count as releasing two products?

Even if we want to get into splitting hairs and argue about whether “same book again” is different than “same product twice” it’s just arguing in circles. But whichever. DDB will be what it will be and will cost what it will cost. Some will find value in having the book turned into data for the tools and pay for it while others will not. We will see if it is a success or not as time goes on.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
This thread has some civility issues - personal attacks, nasty snark, and other rudeness. Folks, keep it civil, please.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Even if we want to get into splitting hairs and argue about whether “same book again” is different than “same product twice” it’s just arguing in circles. But whichever. DDB will be what it will be and will cost what it will cost. Some will find value in having the book turned into data for the tools and pay for it while others will not. We will see if it is a success or not as time goes on.

It is the same product. If you look at the OP it even tells you "That paid content includes rule supplements, such as Volo's Guide to Monsters, which will cost a fixed, one-time price of $30."

So if I paid $30 for Volo's Guide to Monsters I would expect to be getting the same information in DnD Beyond as I would if I had paid Amazon for the Volo's Guide to Monsters in Hardback form. I should not be expecting some one to tell me look at this brand new product "volos Guide to Monsters" that I can buy on DnD beyond. I mean it is the internet so of course there is going to be someone telling me that but that does not stop them being mistaken.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
How long will I have to wait before some one tells me that buying an Adventure module on DnD Beyond for $25, such as Curse of Strahd, is a different adventure to buying Curse of Strahd.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
This is the way I see it, and it's totally ok if others don't see it the way I do.

I've purchased the Star Wars trilogy in VHS, DVD, and Blue-Ray. I'm likely to continue to purchase it in future formats (especially if the ever re-release the theatrical versons, but I digress). The point is I'm absolutely willing to buy the same product more than once if I think I'm getting value out of the later purchases.

I think I will get value out of the PHB in D&D Beyond even though I already own the physical copy. SCAG and VOLOs probably not. Adventures I've already bought, probably not. Adventures I haven't bought yet, probably so.

Everybody is going to have a different line for what brings enough value per dollar to them. This is mine right now. It may change later.

Remove ads

Remove ads