D&D 5E D&D Beyond: Monsters of the Multiverse Will Not Replace Existing Monsters

D&D Beyond has said that Monsters of the Multiverse will not replace existing monsters already purchased by users.

While they have indicated that existing content will not be overwritten, they were unable to share any details on how the new monster stat blocks will be implemented - suggestions might include duplicate entries, or some kind of toggle. This also includes racial traits, which won't replace old material -- the contents of the book will be treated as new content.

While DDB is taking it's lead from WotC on what to do, apparently WotC asked them to take charge of communicating this all to users.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
Customers who want the newer versions of the monsters, newer images, newer tokens, races, etc., will need to purchase the new module for Mordenkainen Presents Monsters of the Multiverse. If a customer owns both the new module and the old modules, then they will see multiple listings for search results and will need to choose which version they want to use.

The Dungeon Master will be able to use the Allow Content or Block Content flags in the library to turn off or on those options within the Library for any players in their campaigns.

See? That sounds like a pain in the butt to me. I mean, obviously, I'll suck it up, but I don't really like the idea of having two stat-blocks for every monster, with one improved on the other.

Weiley31

Legend
Hmmm, if DND Beyond is doing this, then I may actually look into it now just so I could have the various versions of races under one roof. Although, doing that means I'd have to purchase all the races on Beyond just for that convivence.

On the plus side, Beyond's al-a-cart buying options would make that alot easier/cheaper

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
See? That sounds like a pain in the butt to me. I mean, obviously, I'll suck it up, but I don't really like the idea of having two stat-blocks for every monster, with one improved on the other.
Yes, if they aren't carefull with the implementation, it might be unconvenient, but removing the older versions wasn't a great option either, IMHO.

Last edited:

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases