D&D 5E D&D Beyond: Monsters of the Multiverse Will Not Replace Existing Monsters

D&D Beyond has said that Monsters of the Multiverse will not replace existing monsters already purchased by users. While they have indicated that existing content will not be overwritten, they were unable to share any details on how the new monster stat blocks will be implemented - suggestions might include duplicate entries, or some kind of toggle. This also includes racial traits, which...
D&D Beyond has said that Monsters of the Multiverse will not replace existing monsters already purchased by users.

While they have indicated that existing content will not be overwritten, they were unable to share any details on how the new monster stat blocks will be implemented - suggestions might include duplicate entries, or some kind of toggle. This also includes racial traits, which won't replace old material -- the contents of the book will be treated as new content.

While DDB is taking it's lead from WotC on what to do, apparently WotC asked them to take charge of communicating this all to users.

so how do you run games with a player on one night, and play in there game another? You both not only have full access to the MM (I mean everyone does) but you activly read and look at stats for your own games.
The only other DM I play with isn't a huge rules expert, but if I think they will be too familiar with a monster I either change it's strengths and weaknesses, or it's appearance, so it doesn't get recognised. I tinker with pretty much everything regardless.

If I'm a player, which doesn't happen very often, I try to keep my mouth shut and not spoil things for the other players.

HammerMan

Legend
The only other DM I play with isn't a huge rules expert, but if I think they will be too familiar with a monster I either change it's strengths and weaknesses, or it's appearance, so it doesn't get recognised. I tinker with pretty much everything regardless.

If I'm a player, which doesn't happen very often, I try to keep my mouth shut and not spoil things for the other players.
wow that seems so odd to me.. I guess I have gotten used to running games with the same group of friends and each one has run at some point.

wow that seems so odd to me.. I guess I have gotten used to running games with the same group of friends and each one has run at some point.
I generally play with the same group of friends, but the general consensus is that I'm the best DM (or a really annoying player). Occasionally they step in to try and give me a break.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I notice you kept it all as PCs that are diffrent races, no PC has a variant
Okay. A PHB Wood Elf and a MotM Drow can play in the same game and…literally nothing is complicated. No extra effort required. It just works.

Because they’re part of the same edition.

HammerMan

Legend
Okay. A PHB Wood Elf and a MotM Drow can play in the same game and…literally nothing is complicated. No extra effort required. It just works.

Because they’re part of the same edition.
I don't have the copy yet (I wont buy the gift set) can you tell me if the drow still getall the base elf stats? I know shadar kia do not, but I don't know what they changed about drow.

edit: you also cut out I notice you kept it all as PCs that are diffrent races, no PC has a variant. I also notice you didn't mention the main thrust of the thread... understanding how monsters and PC interact. along

doctorbadwolf

did you read the part about getting the defualt dwarf/elf traits?
What about it? It has absolutely no impact on the argument. The player just reads their traits from the writeup they’re using. Done. They’re playing a motm duergar? Cool. It’s a dwarf, so it can use the dwarven throwing hammer magic item, and anything else that requires being a dwarf. If their brother wants to play a duergar with stonecunning, they can do so. Nothing breaks. Nothing needs to be adjusted, converted, or anything. They can both just sit down and play.
again adding isn't changing. this isn't adding it is changing.
No, it is explicitly adding.
this isn't format.
Do you actually not know what a comparative example is, or are you being weirdly pedantic?
no I literally am not.
Same logic. If we take your arguments seriously, we must then review other supplements. If we do so, using your logic in this thread, Tasha’s is absolutely 5.5e, but the errata document changes more than Tasha’s does, even if we pretend that “here’s an optional variant” is a change.
except the part where they have rebuilt 2 major parts of the game already with signs that they are at least rebuiulding 1 more
But they haven’t replaced anything! They’ve presented new options! That’s it!
it depends
How? They could fill a 300 page book with optional variants and I cannot fathom how a person could rationally conclude that it is anything other than an expansion of the game.
alll of this is a total misrepresentation of what I have siad
No, it isn’t. Intentions aren't actions. You may not have intended to be rude and dismissive, but you were.

doctorbadwolf

I don't have the copy yet (I wont buy the gift set) can you tell me if the drow still getall the base elf stats? I know shadar kia do not, but I don't know what they changed about drow.
What do you mean by “base elf stats”? The MotM Drow have a full race writeup, wherein they gain a variant Trance and Elven ancestry, and a collection of other traits.

This isn’t distinct from the optional variant class features of Tasha’s, beyond being race options rather than class.

edit: you also cut out I notice you kept it all as PCs that are diffrent races, no PC has a variant. I also notice you didn't mention the main thrust of the thread... understanding how monsters and PC interact. along
🙄

okay, switch wood elf to Drow. 🤷‍♂️

What do you mean by “base elf stats”? The MotM Drow have a full race writeup, wherein they gain a variant Trance and Elven ancestry, and a collection of other traits.

This isn’t distinct from the optional variant class features of Tasha’s, beyond being race options rather than class.
As a minor point of order from someone watching from the discussion from the sidelines, so far as I'm aware, drow don't actually have a PC race write-up in MotM. They're a PHB race, and thus haven't actually been given an update yet.

doctorbadwolf

My memory sucks. The Drow aren’t in the book. The Shadar-Kai have the above traits except that they have thier teleport ability rather than spells.

edit: ninja’d by @Veltharis ap Rylix . Good catch.

HammerMan

Legend
No, it is explicitly adding.
how is changing how 33 rraces work, changing how lots (don't have exact number yet) of monsters work not count as changing?
Do you actually not know what a comparative example is, or are you being weirdly pedantic?
is there a reason you can't talk about things without assumeing the worst in everything I say?
Same logic. If we take your arguments seriously, we must then review other supplements. If we do so, using your logic in this thread, Tasha’s is absolutely 5.5e, but the errata document changes more than Tasha’s does, even if we pretend that “here’s an optional variant” is a change.
now take a step back. if you are correct that if you use the logic you think I am, that changes what I say, then by defualt you are NOT understanding what I am saying.
But they haven’t replaced anything! They’ve presented new options! That’s it!
complete changes to races and stat blocks of monsters... going forward we will only get the new way... I don't know how else to define a change.

if they were 100% optional then we would expect to either get both going forward or only the orginal... what do you expect?
How? They could fill a 300 page book with optional variants and I cannot fathom how a person could rationally conclude that it is anything other than an expansion of the game.
if those varriants are all going to be the defualt going forward they are not variants but a change.
No, it isn’t. Intentions aren't actions. You may not have intended to be rude and dismissive, but you were.
wow... you wrote this whole thing accuseing me of things but you assume i am the rude one.. wow

Remove ads

Remove ads