D&D Beyond Twitter Account says OGL will be addressed soon

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I shut his channel off and told YT not to recommend it any more after the initial OGL announcement. Not because I disagreed with his take (broadly) but because it was clear that he had no damn idea what he was talking about, and kept talking anyway. I don't have time for that BS.
That's pretty much me. I don't wish him any ill will, but D&D YouTubers are better off doing things like telling us how to play the Dread Pirate Roberts in D&D (I love those videos) or how to improve roleplay at your table or how to be a better DM.

As pundits and "journalists," they tend to be pretty terrible.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
Huh. Was not aware of that. That's kind of telling.
Beyond was producing a lot of content and content marketing. Rather than let those people go they've been integrated into the Wizards D&D staff as full members, because that's what they are

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
They aren't the ones.

Beyond is just the medium. The idea that some poor $60k/pa (at most) Beyond minion (or minions) is composing a message on behalf of WotC is, uhhh, very unrealistic, put it like that.

Any message WotC puts out will be approved or even directly written by someone in the executive tier (they may even put a name on it, we'll see), and will have been run by legal, marketing/PR, and a bunch of other executives, definitely including Dan Rawson, probably including Cynthia Williams, and quite likely including Chris Cocks. Worrying about Beyond is like worrying about a fax machine. It's just the medium.
You know I thought up until yesterday that's how all these things work with WOTC. Once I read the OGL leak document, and realized it was not written by professional attorneys with experience with this sort of thing, it suddenly dawned on me we may all be wrong about the level of screening going on at WOTC. It might in fact be a guy making $60K a year writing the PR release on this. I don't think any experienced attorneys are much on this sort of thing. I don't think it's being looked at by high level executives at all in fact - I think they left this entire thing up to lower level people not realizing the PR ramifications. I am still unsure if the higher ups realize the PR nightmare they stepped in, until Hasbro stock starts to get hit. WE all think this is huge, but they may view this whole topic as a tiny thing not worth their attention yet.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
You know I thought up until yesterday that's how all these things work with WOTC. Once I read the OGL leak document, and realized it was not written by professional attorneys with experience with this sort of thing, it suddenly dawned on me we may all be wrong about the level of screening going on at WOTC. It might in fact be a guy making $60K a year writing the PR release on this. I don't think any experienced attorneys are much on this sort of thing. I don't think it's being looked at by high level executives at all in fact - I think they left this entire thing up to lower level people not realizing the PR ramifications. I am still unsure if the higher ups realize the PR nightmare they stepped in, until Hasbro stock starts to get hit. WE all think this is huge, but they may view this whole topic as a tiny thing not worth their attention yet.
I dunno. I think the people closer to the players and DMs are more likely to realize how big of a deal this is and would have treaded more lightly, or done something completely differently. This feels very ivory tower to me.

Oh jesus god. Wow if that's true, oh boy this is going to be one hell of a well, thing you can't say on ENworld man jeez ooof.

Reynard

Legend
I think some PITA marketing exec sat down with some PITA attorney and crafted something they thought was "hip" to get across their amazing, brilliant, can't fail idea based on the top floor giving them a "kill the OGL" mandate.

Retreater

Legend
I would be amazed if there was any apology. More than likely, Wizards will say "this leak is false" and that "it was an unfinished draft that was never intended to go to publishers."
The fans who want to forgive them will forgive them, be relieved they can still go see Chris Pine in March and continue to buy content on DND Beyond. The people who don't want to forgive them will take years before they come around (if they ever do).
The statement itself will change nothing.

I think some PITA marketing exec sat down with some PITA attorney and crafted something they thought was "hip" to get across their amazing, brilliant, can't fail idea based on the top floor giving them a "kill the OGL" mandate.
The amount it reeks of:

1673387864354.png

Is very high. Or "fellow gamers". Stuff like the "Your brother does the chores for you" is actual "Boomer Cringe" of a type rarely found on today's internet outside the most Facebook of Facebook memes.

Remove ads