D&D Celebrity Satine Phoenix & Husband Jamison Stone Accused Of Abuse Towards Freelancers

D&D influencer Satine Phoenix, and her husband Jamison Stone, who run tabletop gaming company Apotheosis Studios, have been accused of abusive behavior towards freelancers and contracted workers. Satine Phoenix is a well-known D&D personality and creator, and was the D&D Community Manager for about a year back in 2018. Both she and Stone have appeared in many events and streaming shows, and...

Status
Not open for further replies.
D&D influencer Satine Phoenix, and her husband Jamison Stone, who run tabletop gaming company Apotheosis Studios, have been accused of abusive behavior towards freelancers and contracted workers.

Satine Phoenix is a well-known D&D personality and creator, and was the D&D Community Manager for about a year back in 2018. Both she and Stone have appeared in many events and streaming shows, and have worked with WotC, Geek & Sundry, and other companies. Recently their Kickstarter campaign Sirens: Battle of the Bards raised over $300,000. At GaryCon, a US gaming convention, the couple held a public wedding.

sirens.jpg

Accusations were initially leveled last week against Stone by tattooist Chad Rowe, who tweeted about the abusive way in which Stone, as his client at the time, treated him. The artist was "insulted, berated, and talked down to as if I was a lesser person". Other reports started to roll in as people shared similar experiences, with people revealing how they had been bullied by them, and how the pair frequently portrayed themselves as 'better' than those they worked with. At the time of writing there have been many such reports including one from voice actress and designer Liisa Lee who was subjected to underhanded business practices by Phoenix and her then partner Ruty Rutenberg. Others indicated difficulties in getting paid for work done for Stone and Phoenix or their company.

Lysa Penrose reported on problematic interactions while Phoenix worked at WotC, who was the primary point of contact regarding a report of abuse. Penrose reports that Phoenix failed to pass on the reports of abuse, and continued to publicly associate with the abuser.

Jamison Stone has since resigned as CEO of Apotheosis Studios (though the pair do own the company) and issued a long apology which has been widely criticized. Phoenix released a statement about a week later. Screenshots leaked from a private channel indicate that they have adopted a strategy of shifting the blame onto Stone, so that Phoenix's public image remain intact, with Stone writing “I also am ensuring behind the scenes ... we shield Satine as much as physically possible from damage.”

D&D In A Castle, which is an event which hosts D&D games run by professional DMs in a weekend break in a castle, has dropped the pair from its lineup, as has Jasper's Game Day, an organization which works to prevent suicides. Origins Game Fair, at which the couple are celebrity guests, removed Stone from its guest list, but not Phoenix, stating that "staff assessed that there was no immediate risk of physical harm".

According to ComicBook.com. former collaborator of Phoenix, Ruty Rutenberg, is suing Phoenix, alleging misappropriation of $40,000 of stream network Maze Arcana's money.

This is, unfortunately the case, and why all these "apologies" seem to follow the same template (vaguely present the events, say you're sorry, place partial blame on something or someone else).

I think part of it is that in the US at least admitting that you've done harm basically means you're going to lose any lawsuit filed against you over the matter. So corporations give non-pologies so as to present a public relations face that gives listeners the impression that they're saying "we hear you and we'll do better" while not giving an actual apology which would require them to actually admit that they've done something wrong and then commit to actually making things right to those they've wronged.

Given how every individual celebrity is now basically an independent corporation at this point, they're doing the same thing. Actually admitting fault and making it right is too expensive, but a non-pology to manage the PR while not admitting specific fault or committing to make the folks you wronged whole is cheap so they do it.

(And it infests our whole culture at this point - the non-pology gets used even when there's no threat of a lawsuit these days.)

Reactions: Jer

Bill Zebub

“It’s probably Matt Mercer’s fault.”
Ironic that people who have traditionally been disenfranchised by those in power find a community that is welcoming, and once they themselves get a little bit of power they turn around and become the oppressors.

But maybe perfectly predictable?

Vaalingrade

Legend
Ironic that people who have traditionally been disenfranchised by those in power find a community that is welcoming, and once they themselves get a little bit of power they turn around and become the oppressors.

Anyone can go bad with the right combination of experience. An echo chamber telling you you're awesome and throwing money at you dulls the empathy. The pressure to keep that situation going causes one to seek out less and less ethical means to doing so, etc, etc.

If you don't have people around you to Gibbs slap you every once in a while, it compounds.

cavetroll

Explorer

Probably reading a little too much into their demographics. Serial killers come in all shapes and sizes from all walks of life.
The most common thing is some sort of childhood trauma, along with a particular gene that brings the worst out in people.

Yora

Legend

There are plenty of people in the world who complain that the world is unfair, not because they want to be treated as equals, but because they want to be at the top and stomp down on others.

mythago

Hero
Since the tweets/article about the lawsuit end of things was pretty scant on details, and I'm home with a sick family member today, I looked it up. Below is what I was able to determine without shelling out $20-$30 for copies of the pleadings. You can look at the first page of them for free via the Preview function.

ROUTINE ANOMALY LLC, A NEVADA LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY VS BURNING QUILL ENTERPRISES, INC., A CALIFORNIA CORPORATION, ET AL. was filed in Los Angeles County Superior Court last July. The case number is 21STCV25863. It's a complaint for fraud.

It looks like there may have been a default (i.e., Satine and her company didn't respond when served with the lawsuit filing). Without buying more documents I can't tell whether the plaintiff screwed up and didn't serve her correctly, or whether the court "set aside" the default to let her respond, which is a pretty common thing. She has filed a demurrer and motion to strike. This is also pretty common; it's a response to the complaint claiming there is something wrong with it, and that some or all of the things alleged in it should be stricken.

The next hearing is on the demurrer and motion to strike, and a case management conference (basically a 'what's going on in this case, everyone' meeting) on November 22. The LA court system is the largest in the world and there's a huge backlog when they aren't dealing with COVID, so the delay isn't surprising.

One interesting thing is that a "notice of related case" was filed. That is something one does to inform the court that there's a separate lawsuit pending that's related enough to this one that everyone needs to know about it. That related case is SATINE PHOENIX VS DAVID RUTENBERG, also filed in LA (on February 16 of this year), case number 22STCV05974. (It was recently amended to add Full Mithril Jacket LLC as a defendant.) The first page of the complaint describes it as a "breach of oral contract" and "breach of fiduciary duty" claim.

A secondary interesting thing about that "related case" is that the Court just issued an order to show cause (that's judge for "you have some explaining to do") for failure to file a proof of service, i.e. to show that in fact the complaint was served on the people one is suing. There is a declaration of diligence in process serving, which implies that they're claiming they tried to serve Rutenberg and/or his company without success.

ETA: Here's the entrance to the labyrinth of trying to access LA court case documents online: Online Services - LA Court

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
She’s done. He’s done. Ruty might see work again. Maybe. But I dint think he’s interested in this industry anymore.

What I am curious about now is who is credited in the Eberron books? Stilly Ruty? Should it be?
Ruty, I never trusted or liked, nor Stone (or Adam Keobel for that matter). Phoenix i saw as a positive influence and maybe a bit of a try hard. Apparently I’m better at judging other men than I am with women…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

Remove ads