D&D comes to Middle Earth (from Cubicle 7)

I have high hopes that the 5E OGL will really start to open up the game...and this would seem to qualify! Very excited for this.

I have high hopes that the 5E OGL will really start to open up the game...and this would seem to qualify! Very excited for this.

innerdude

Legend
Not only do all of those thing take extra effort (and C7 is a small studio) but there is the artist's preferences and interests. maybe the guys being TOR don't give a flip about Gondor.

Hmpf. Those ignorant Men of the Northlands have never appreciated how much the Might of Gondor has kept the Enemy at bay. ;)

I'm surely going to buy this! I just hope that the "geographical" focus will be someplace different than what is already published for TOR. I've got all the TOR books, but I bought them mostly for the lore, so I'd prefer if the DnD version gave me new lore.

Also hoping this will open the way for other settings... Would love to have a Malazan Book of the Fallen setting for 5e!

CM

Adventurer
Maybe now we'll get a proper warlord class to steal for everyday use. Looking forward to the adaptation, regardless.

Wulfang

First Post
Yeah, there have been a few people like that hanging around the Cubicle 7 forums for a while. Very entitled, very personally offended that C7 doesn't crank out splatbooks fast enough for them.

Not that I am defending these 'entitled' LOTR fans. I don't post in these forums, and I'm sure the people you speak of have been quite vocal in often un-productive ways.

But in this case, asking for a product that supports the whole of Middle Earth rather then the narrow vision/approach of the designer isn't exactly a far-fetched request. In fact its the sort of thing you'd expect an organization to ask their fans about prior to releasing a product.

And that's just the thing with The One Ring. Its a great product in its own right, the reviews and ratings out there is testament to that. but it has a very niche target. In fact, from reading posts, its my understanding that the designer never really intended for The One Ring to go as far as they are going, but customer feedback has lead them that direction.

I just don't feel complaining that a product doesn't support the areas and characters you want to cover is something 'entitled'. That's very important feedback in fact. Something Cubicle 7 should pay close attention to when the take a stab at the 'D&D' version.

Matchstick

Adventurer
Maybe I'm weird, but my first thought when I read about this was how much it would benefit TOR. I think this will be a great way for Cubicle 7 to increase their resources as a company, and then put some of those resources into developing Middle Earth, in both rulesets. I honestly think that if this comes out and sells well the release date of the next TOR books will move up, not back.

Well I'm not a Forgotten Realms fan at all and was going to just sit pretty until Eberron was released some day for 5E... looks like Middle Earth will be my 5E setting, just want to see how its handled so it feels like Middle Earth.

I agree with others, if this goes well for C7, it will be awesome and will help the TOR line as well. I want this to rock our world!

Last edited by a moderator:

As long as C7 get some 5Experts in to help with the mechanics I can't see thus being anything but good for the TOR line as well. TOR is obviously a work of love, and with more money the release schedule may well increase not slow down. Money = staff = product?

I hope so! I'll be continuing my TOR colection and jumping on board with this for sure.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
I will buy this for sure, and if there are good rules for converting existing TOR material to 5e I could see myself buy a lot of TOR products. And I've never even played it!

There are some of us that have only played D&D and no other TTRPGs. Some of us who have only played 5e. You'll see us pop up from time to time asking how to set a campaign in Middle Earth or Westeros or Thedas. Or how to build classes, subclasses, or characters based on things we've seen form fantasy books, movies, and video games.

We're often told "That's a bad fit for D&D" or a "bad fit for 5e" or "There's already an RPG for that. Go buy that". But some of us had to introduce our friends to D&D or to just 5e and that introduction took a lot of effort and growing pains. And getting our group to buy into new rules and new mechanics is a seemingly insurmountable challenge.

So we try to adapt our beloved classics to the rules we've already bought and are familiar with. This product is for us. I hope to see more like it.

Remove ads

Remove ads