D&D comes to Middle Earth (from Cubicle 7)

I have high hopes that the 5E OGL will really start to open up the game...and this would seem to qualify! Very excited for this.

I have high hopes that the 5E OGL will really start to open up the game...and this would seem to qualify! Very excited for this.

AriochQ

Adventurer
You want to play a hobbit? OK, but you don't get to leave your starting village. Everyone knows hobbits don't like to travel.
You want to play a wizard? OK, as soon as one of the current 5 wizards in the world dies off (assuming they don't come back a different color of course)
Etc.

Loved the books, haven't been impressed by RPG conversions (I have similar feelings about Conan's Hyborean Age).

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
As a long Time LoTR fan and new D&Der I find this very interesting. All I knew about The One Ring was from reading a few posts here. What I've seen intrigues me.

Pseudonym

Ivan Alias
I am cautiously optimistic and a bit intrigued, but I don't know if it will come out feeling like Tolkien in the end. The One Ring is great and the system fits the world. I don't think 5E D&D can do that and remain recognizably D&D. I'll most likely buy it anyway, but I hope the effort towards this doesn't cause a stoppage in TOR or Cubicle 7's other properties. Looking at you, Yggdrasil.

RedShirtNo5.1

Explorer
Cubical 7 said:
a Dungeons & Dragons® compatible roleplaying series
OPEN GAME LICENSE Version 1.0a said:
You agree not to indicate compatibility or co-adaptability with any Trademark or Registered Trademark in conjunction with a work containing Open Game Content except as expressly licensed in another, independent Agreement with the owner of such Trademark or Registered Trademark.
What I think is interesting is that this doesn't appear to be an OGL game, but rather done with a direct license from WotC. Which I think is still good sign that WotC is willing to be more open in general.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
What I think is interesting is that this doesn't appear to be an OGL game, but rather done with a direct license from WotC. Which I think is still good sign that WotC is willing to be more open in general.

Yeah, I noticed that. Interesting.

Reynard

Legend
It occurs to me that the over the top aspects of the Hobbit film trilogy actually track pretty well with D&D 5E (regardless of whether those films were a good adaptation or not). I wonder if perhaps rather than producing a 5E version of The One Ring they are looking to create a game that is tonally different -- more fun and adventurous, leaning on a lot of the lore but turning it up to 11 just like Jackson did.

Remove ads

Remove ads