• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D compared to Bespoke Genre TTRPGs

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
OK, I mean, you may FAIL to frame your SCs well, and thus have what you later deem to be the 'wrong level of granularity'. I mean, picking the right framing is something I've been advising people on for a long time too, so no argument there. However, that isn't an inherent problem with the system. Also it kind of depends on the type and variety of action. If I was running a game full of heists (and decided it would be in 4e, for whatever reason) then I think framing each heist as an SC would be both logical and probably work quite well. I can think of other possiblities though, which experience might prove out to be better. I'd also assume such a game wouldn't be exactly like BitD, it would probably have some other non-heist related parts to it, which an SC can also handle.

Also, SCs are not 'a few dice rolls', certainly not any more than a combat is, or any more than a BitD heist is. Its an evolving fiction in which certain conflict points are resolved by chucking dice and manipulating a tally. I've had SCs that lasted 3 sessions, and many of them last an hour or more, with a lot going on in them.

I don't know of many GOOD published SCs. There are some that can work fine, but I don't think WotC really grokked it that well, even though they wrote it. YMMV. My problem is, some random unstructured concatenation of dice rolls doesn't work that well.
I did my Eberron heist as a series of skill challenges, and the train job was a skill challenge interwoven with 2 separate combat encounters.
I just gave my rant above about niche protection. In Prince Valiant it's just not a thing - every character is (by default) a knight, and if you depart from that default the focus of the action still defaults to the sorts of things knights errant do.

The third PC in our game started as a squire but has since been knighted. He is a bit different from the other two - Brawn 3, Presence 4, and skills of Arms 2, Battle 1, Riding 2, Agility 2, Dexterity 2, Stealth 1, Courtesie 2, Fellowship 3, Glamourie 2, Poetry/Song 1, Lore 2. But like them he still rides a warhorse, fights with a sword and has a suitable marriage (to Elizabeth, daughter of the Duke of York). The differences between the characters flow from their personalities (as played) and their place in the fiction - eg this third PC is the only one whose wife travels with him on his errantry.

Having elaborated on that rant, I also want to say something about splitting the party, (I'll say something about hooks if asked or provoked.)

In our Classic Traveller game, the PCs and entourage are (notionally, at least) a starship owner, his crew and other sundry hangers-on. They frequently separate: in a town, some might go and do X while others do Y; as I posted upthread about our "heist", when Imperial officers needed to be wined and dined for a week some did that, while others worked on the technical problem of deciphering the workings of an alien starship, and powering it up so it could be taken by the group; more recently the PCs were in three groups with some in orbit about Zinion on the alien vessel, others on the surface of Zinion exploring an alien installation, and another group travelling in their ship back to Novus and then undertaking various tasks there (which also involved splitting up). In our most recent session the various groups rendezvoused, but will no doubt split up again when it makes sense to do so. Even in our Alien session, when the PCs first explored the alien vessel, with no contrivance at all on either the player or GM side of things the PCs split up: different ones wanted to check out different parts of the vessel; one PC got left on guard duty where the Aliens were known to emerge while the others were doing technical work on the vessel's bridge; etc.

I haven't yet GMed a campaign where the PCs are strangers to one another, but have done that in multiple one-offs (using Cthulhu Dark and Wuthering Heights). In one of the Cthulhu Dark sessions the two protagonists encountered one another only two or three times, but their actions were interwoven and the consequences overlapped.

The party is in many circumstances a contrivance. In Prince Valiant we live with it, because otherwise the distances between the PCs are too great for communication or interaction or even interweaving to take place. In Traveller we approach it flexibly, with the vessel rather than the mission being its focus. But the idea that nothing interesting ever happens except when these five people are ready to confront it together like a many-headed hydra is another level of contrivance altogether!
Hell yes. I don’t worry at all about splitting the party, but the group does due to simple efficacy concerns. Still, IMO a proper caper would be no fun without splitting the party, and a horror story would benefit hugely from a necessity to split the party for extended stretches of time.

Hussar

Legend
I feel the need to step back and ask a couple clarifying, framing questions, to make sure we aren't talking past each other:

1. How are you defining a 'heist'? What are the essential components that must be present?

2. Do you believe it is impossible, with or without houserules, to run a heist in 5e DnD?

3. If the answer to 2 is "yes, but...", do you believe 5e DnD does a crap job of running heists without extensive implicit or explicit houserules?

(My answers: 1. An adventure where the objective is to steal something with as little violence as possible. 2. Yes, it is possible. 3. 5e using RAW only does a poor job of it.)

If this isn't sarcasm, we're not speaking the same language.
I agree with your #1. Which is why I so strongly disagree with @Ruin Explorer. Infiltration =/= murdering everyone on the way in, getting the Macguffin and then slaughtering the survivors on the way out.

Is it possible? I guess so. Have I ever seen it done? Nope. Have I repeatedly seen it fail? Yup.

So, yeah, if it is possible, 5e does a crap job of doing it because, repeatedly, with at least 3 different DM's in 5e, all three of which are very good DM's who know their stuff and one of which has actually won design awards, failed to do so.

Hussar

Legend
No, it doesn’t cut both ways. The fact some folks have done it means it can be done. Period. Therefor, telling someone to not try to do it because it can’t be done is nonsense.
Just because a table could do it does not mean that you can reproduce how they did it. There could be many, many reasons why it was successful that can't be reproduced.

Heck, just the notion of what a failed check means is hard to reproduce as how one DM interprets failure can be radically different from another.

Hussar

Legend
My 5e DnD isn't the same as Hussar's 5e DnD. That is literally the intention of the designers, and it's a benefit to the game.
But, see, this, right here, is why suggestions of how to hack 5e become problematic. Because your 5e is idiosyncratic to your table, same as mine, what works or doesn't work at my table will be different from yours. Which means that any advice will be problematic because there are so many intangible issues that we don't share and likely have internalized to the point where we are just talking past each other because neither of us understands why the other person doesn't understand.

Because 5e is so heavily idionsyncratic to individual tables, there is far less common language between us. The more idiosyncratic the table, the less common language there is.

The thing with advice is it is advice, no an order. Frequently what is suggested won't be applicable to your particular issue, for a myriad of different reasons. But you can get lots of different advice from a forum like this, which you can then browse through and select which is most useful to you. Therefore there is nothing wrong with making a suggestion that turns out not to be useful, and people should not be discouraged from making suggestions.

What does 5e actually offer?
Off the top of my head (and this as a huge 4e fan):
1: Less ludicrous level scaling. Proficiency bonus is far more practical than +1/2 per level
2: Fewer fiddly modifiers to remember, with most being rolled into Advantage so it plays more cleanly
3: Spells and presentation people find more inspiring
4: Non-combat cantrips for classes other than the wizard
5: Better "incidental combat" that actually feels as if it means something
6: I don't need precise AEDU balance and 4e has people with fewer dailies but no one with more. Having an "all dailies + cantrips" wizard would be worthwhile
7: The Artificer class is much more interesting
8: The Sorcerer's metamagic is another playstyle option; I'd like to see if it could be adapted
9: The Druid's shapeshifting just feels better than a system where shapeshifting doesn't change your stats at all
10: The Battlemaster Fighter subclass mechanics are clean - it could do with a port.

And yes, literally half that list was "these class options are good".

I agree with your #1. Which is why I so strongly disagree with @Ruin Explorer. Infiltration =/= murdering everyone on the way in, getting the Macguffin and then slaughtering the survivors on the way out.
Thanks for shoving words in my mouth buddy, they're delicious and faintly scented from your fingers - been drinking coffee? :p

I obviously didn't say that. What I've seen happen, repeatedly, is that the PCs manage to get pretty far with little/no violence (and/or only surprise-violence, which D&D admittedly doesn't handle well so that usually does require highly specific approaches or homebrew rules), often retrieving the macguffin(s), then get out, and my experience it's often getting out where things end up "going loud" if they do at all (like a lot of heist media).

But it's heavily in the planning. You have to minimize the opportunities for failure. That means if your plan is to physically do a ton of sneaking past guards, it's a terrible goddamn plan (this is true with RL heists and many movie heists too, ofc). You want to be using deception, social engineering, magical methods (where not warded against), exploiting weaknesses in security systems, diversions, bribery/extortion, sudden overwhelming force - which doesn't necessarily mean going loud, note, and so on. Like thinking of a specific heist I ran in 4E, which at no point went wrong, I think they made maybe two Stealth checks in the entire thing, and that was only because part of their plan failed. They got in, past all the security systems (which they'd elaborated subverted, particularly by gaining access to the man who originally created them, who didn't even live in the same city as the vault), avoided a bunch of automatons by a couple of clever methods (neither of which I anticipated), and the only fight was inside the vault itself, which like, long story but that wasn't something that could raise an alarm (it wasn't even on the same plane as the rest of the building), then they got out the same way they got in. It was extremely exciting and everyone had a good time. I think you would have too. But this was the result of an entire session and a bit of setup - they prepared a plan, they got all the pieces into place (subverting people, gaining access to devices, getting hold of plans, the classic "posing as a client" scouting method, and so on), and only then did they execute.

You seem to be thinking of a heist as like, "Here's a building with stuff in it, you're going to need to sneak past a bunch of guards, steal the stuff, and sneak out", and it's like, no. That's a terrible plan. That's not even a plan. A heist is when you prep elaborately and get the pieces into place, and when you have fallbacks and so on. Yeah it might go wrong, but if early elements of the plan rely on physically sneaking past people and if that fails the whole plan is blown? That is unacceptably bad plan. This is like, the problem I see with your criticism, like if a plan has a single point of failure like that, like, where one role really could blow the whole thing - that's a bad plan! Call it off! Find a different approach. If one roll increases the risk, or makes it harder or might cost resources or the like, sure that might be a viable plan, but one roll = total chaos breaks out, well, that roll better come after you got the macguffin in the plan!

It does help that my main group are extremely smart, lateral thinkers who like thinking and planning, are familiar with this sort of genre, and who very much want to be Locke Lamora or Kaz Brekker and crew, particularly enjoy masquerading as people, and like actually want to come up with the plan. I've definitely played in groups that were huge fun but absolutely could not have managed any kind of situation like this, because they were just living for the drama, and BitD would definitely be how I'd do a heist with them (or at least D&D with more modifications). I'd also say that as teenagers, the same group were not good at this sort of thing. In SR and CP2020, countless heists went tits-up because of fundamentally bad plans.

I do think D&D's one linear die approach to skills, plus the really limited use of Inspiration (which just gives you Advantage, which you may well have anyway), in the default RAW, does really limit things. In something like SR, heists aren't fundamentally better supported than D&D by the terms you've been using (because there are no specific mechanics relating to them), but it uses a multi-die system, and in various editions there have been ways to re-roll things or boost vital rolls significantly (moreso than Advantage does in D&D), so in SR you can rely on plans that are a lot riskier than D&D ones, a lot less fundamentally planned-through. I think this one-die thing, together with the lack of rules specifically for KOing/killing people from surprise (which some D&D-relatives like WWN/SWN do have), are the biggest cramps on heists in D&D, because they force you to use more elaborate plans and to prep a lot more, and tend to make magic more important (though in 4E they seemed to be fine with only Rituals). WWN/SWN solves both those problems note, so I'd expect it to be significantly easier to run "looser" heists with either.

Heck, just the notion of what a failed check means is hard to reproduce as how one DM interprets failure can be radically different from another.
Sure, and this is one thing that PtbA games have over almost all other RPGs on the market, in that they do more to attempt to define how a failure can be interpreted by the DM than anything else I can think of. Is that a strike against D&D or a strike against most non-PtbA RPGs though? I'd also repeat that any plan that relies on a single check succeeding, particularly in a system like D&D, is a bad or at least desperate plan. That doesn't just applies to heists, of course, either. D&D is particularly hard to work with failure-wise because not only do DMs potentially interpret failure widely (as with a lot of RPGs), but success/failure is binary, unless the optional rules on page 242 of the DMG are in play - and even if they are, they still make D&D inelegant (D&D not being designed for margin of success/failure or success-at-a-cost) and you still have the "one die" problem to some extent.

Of course even PtbA games are somewhat subject to this - some DMs with those are far more or far less aggressive with the moves they make with failures or success-at-a-cost where the cost isn't precisely specified. Or are just a broken record on what moves they make.

Hussar

Legend
I remember RC. Interesting person, and I usually found his posts and thoughts well worth reading.

But take me, as a more here-and-present example. My game is based on 1e but there's virtually no aspect big or small of original 1e that hasn't been to a greater or lesser extent tweaked, hacked, kitbashed, modified, augmented, deleted or butchered to produce the game I run and play today.

Yet if someone asks me what I play I say D&D. If they ask what edition I say 1e, as that's still the closest representation. If they seem interested in hearing any more (and I can't blame them if they don't :) ) then I'll mention it's a modified version, etc.
It's a wonder your ears weren't burning. I was certainly thinking about you when I mentioned the idea of idiosyncratic tables and the difficulties of translating experiences. We've had that discussion more than a few times. Our different playstyles means that it's really hard for either of us to give advice to the other. Our tables are just so different from each other that, while we might both have the same books on the tables, we are most certainly not playing the same games.

Heck, it's why I get kinda shirty when people talk about how the game was "back in the day" as if their play experience was universal. We've all seen those posts, over and over again. The "truisms" of various editions - AD&D was all about avoiding combat as much as possible, as an example, which, frankly, is a load of hooey. It might be true for a given table, but, it certainly wasn't universal. Or that all tables were really into Gygaxian naturalism. Or all tables were all about strip mining adventures for every last gp. None of the generalizations are true. At best, you can only talk about your (and I mean this as the generic you, myself most certainly included here) tiny slice of experiences.

Off the top of my head (and this as a huge 4e fan):
1: Less ludicrous level scaling. Proficiency bonus is far more practical than +1/2 per level
2: Fewer fiddly modifiers to remember, with most being rolled into Advantage so it plays more cleanly
3: Spells and presentation people find more inspiring
4: Non-combat cantrips for classes other than the wizard
5: Better "incidental combat" that actually feels as if it means something
6: I don't need precise AEDU balance and 4e has people with fewer dailies but no one with more. Having an "all dailies + cantrips" wizard would be worthwhile
7: The Artificer class is much more interesting
8: The Sorcerer's metamagic is another playstyle option; I'd like to see if it could be adapted
9: The Druid's shapeshifting just feels better than a system where shapeshifting doesn't change your stats at all
10: The Battlemaster Fighter subclass mechanics are clean - it could do with a port.

And yes, literally half that list was "these class options are good".
I'd say the biggest advantage 5E has over 4E is length of combat and the fact that combat doesn't turn into and endless whirl of Interrupts, Immediate Actions, Reactions, Opportunity Attacks and so on as you get into the teen levels (which in 5E terms are more like around level 10, as 4E is 1-30 by design). I also say this a big 4E fan. It has a lot of places where it kind of falls down too, particularly in some of the class/archetype design, but that's a separate discussion.

Remove ads