D&D 5E D&D Digital Plans To Be Revealed On February 21st

Brian D. Goldner, Chairman of the Board and CEO at Hasbro took part in the company's Quarter 4 2019 earnings call. This included several references to D&D.

960x0.jpg

• D&D grew again for the sixth year in a row.
  • Streaming D&D content was up nearly 50% on last year.
  • Substantial new (digital) gaming plans for D&D will be revealed on February 21st at Hasbro's Analyst Day
  • Total games category grew by 6%, as D&D, MtG, and Monopoly bolstered declines elsewhere.
  • Profit declined due to digital D&D and M:tG digital games investment.
"Well, good morning, and we did see very strong growth for Magic: The Gathering and increased growth for Dungeons & Dragons. "

"Magic: The Gathering revenues increased more than 30% in the year, behind double-digit growth in tabletop play and a strong first year for Magic: The Gathering Arena. Dungeons & Dragons revenues grew for the sixth straight year, and we are meaningfully investing in both brands to drive engaging storytelling, while developing new digital games with high margin profitable growth longer term. We look forward to sharing our 2020 new gaming plans for Magic and D&D on February 21. MONOPOLY had double-digit revenue growth and grew in each region with new themes and relevant entertainment tie-ins. We advanced our consumer products licensing business growing revenues double digits and expanding operating profit margin. We've broadened our licensed brand portfolio and expanded our reach with original live events that drive consumer engagement."

"In addition, for D&D, we did see our sixth straight year of growth. We are seeing about 150 million hours of content viewed on Twitch and YouTube, which is up nearly 50% year-on-year. In the first half of 2020, we are seeing a lot of new initiatives coming for the brand, but again I'm going to let Chris walk us through at at our Analyst Day, our plans for digital gaming, which are again substantial for D&D that begins in 2020."

"You'll also see great digital game development for D&D. And we will see you on February 21 to outline that."

"Our total games category grew 6% for the year, fueled by growth in Magic: The Gathering and MONOPOLY. Higher revenues from Dungeons & Dragons and several classic games titles did not offset declines in our Hasbro Gaming portfolio"

"Adjusted operating profit and profit margin declined as we invest in digital gaming initiatives including Magic: The Gathering Arena and future Magic and Dungeons & Dragons digital games."

"We delivered compelling gaming experiences, led by the work of our teams at Wizards of the Coast. Our positive results to date have us on plan to double Wizards of the Coast coast revenues over five years from 2018 to 2023."

You can read the full transcript at The Motley Fool.

Last edited:

It's the Funko Pop! system: get casuals to go "I know that thing!" and buy it for giggles. If you tap enough market you can get numbers going.

Also, I think it's for the exclusive tokens? They're like little pewter statues of stuff you like.

Liscencing aside I bet they cost pennies to make too.
Well they’re not spending any money on development at this point. Any new rules would take minimal time to come up with. It’s just a new board, design a few different playing pieces and print free money for them.

Sunsword

Adventurer
Digital Tools? Perhaps Hasbro has seen the popularity of DND Beyond and wants to profit on in that market?

Is there any information out there about the license to Curse (to produce DND Beyond) and if it is indefinite?

I hope this is not the case. I've invested heavily in DnDBeyond and would be unhappy if something WotC owned enters the market.

Sunsword

Adventurer
As a games retailer, I'm a bit nervous. I'm glad M:tG is growing for them, but they've really burdened the Local Game Stores. Only 1 format is consistent in our region and Arena seems to be competing with Paper Magic, as opposed to Magic Online being synergistic.

Additionally, the incentives and perks we used to have disappeared as they have courted Target, Amazon, and Wal-Mart. I understand why they have, but Paper Magic is a very different beast without local tournament support. This is compounded with nearly monthly Magic releases and POD products. All of these are good for WotC but I don't know that they are working so well for the stores. From my perspective, WotC wants more of the money form the secondary market, but whenever a manufacturer has targeted that market the game crumbles. It is great for the manufacturer and the consumer to have POD product but it can completely bork those card's collectability which is what drives M:tG. We'll see, but I'm dubious.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases