D&D 5E D&D Digital Plans To Be Revealed On February 21st

Brian D. Goldner, Chairman of the Board and CEO at Hasbro took part in the company's Quarter 4 2019 earnings call. This included several references to D&D.

960x0.jpg

• D&D grew again for the sixth year in a row.
  • Streaming D&D content was up nearly 50% on last year.
  • Substantial new (digital) gaming plans for D&D will be revealed on February 21st at Hasbro's Analyst Day
  • Total games category grew by 6%, as D&D, MtG, and Monopoly bolstered declines elsewhere.
  • Profit declined due to digital D&D and M:tG digital games investment.
"Well, good morning, and we did see very strong growth for Magic: The Gathering and increased growth for Dungeons & Dragons. "

"Magic: The Gathering revenues increased more than 30% in the year, behind double-digit growth in tabletop play and a strong first year for Magic: The Gathering Arena. Dungeons & Dragons revenues grew for the sixth straight year, and we are meaningfully investing in both brands to drive engaging storytelling, while developing new digital games with high margin profitable growth longer term. We look forward to sharing our 2020 new gaming plans for Magic and D&D on February 21. MONOPOLY had double-digit revenue growth and grew in each region with new themes and relevant entertainment tie-ins. We advanced our consumer products licensing business growing revenues double digits and expanding operating profit margin. We've broadened our licensed brand portfolio and expanded our reach with original live events that drive consumer engagement."

"In addition, for D&D, we did see our sixth straight year of growth. We are seeing about 150 million hours of content viewed on Twitch and YouTube, which is up nearly 50% year-on-year. In the first half of 2020, we are seeing a lot of new initiatives coming for the brand, but again I'm going to let Chris walk us through at at our Analyst Day, our plans for digital gaming, which are again substantial for D&D that begins in 2020."

"You'll also see great digital game development for D&D. And we will see you on February 21 to outline that."

"Our total games category grew 6% for the year, fueled by growth in Magic: The Gathering and MONOPOLY. Higher revenues from Dungeons & Dragons and several classic games titles did not offset declines in our Hasbro Gaming portfolio"

"Adjusted operating profit and profit margin declined as we invest in digital gaming initiatives including Magic: The Gathering Arena and future Magic and Dungeons & Dragons digital games."

"We delivered compelling gaming experiences, led by the work of our teams at Wizards of the Coast. Our positive results to date have us on plan to double Wizards of the Coast coast revenues over five years from 2018 to 2023."

You can read the full transcript at The Motley Fool.

Last edited:

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
Doesn't FFG still have the game rights? I know they're scaling back on their RPGs, but there's still the miniatures game (and possibly a card game too?).

Currently, FFG very existence and ownership appears to be in flux.

There hasn't been much press releases on the status of the license, but it may well be finished if the company is looking to be sold.

Massive layoffs at the company as well, making the RPG side essentially dead there.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Doesn't FFG still have the game rights? I know they're scaling back on their RPGs, but there's still the miniatures game (and possibly a card game too?).
Licensing is a mess...
Everything stated below is "as I think the situation is"

From what I understand Hasbro has the rights to make "Star Wars Boardgames" which translates to what you would find in kids toy aisle.

Fantasy Flight (now Asmodee) have the rights to make "Star Wars Miniature Games" which they use to make Xwing, Armada, Imperial Assault, and Legion. They also have non miniatures games Outer Rim, Destiny and Rebellion, which I think everyone would describe as a boardgame but they can still somehow make. Destiny has just been discontinued.

Fantasy Flight had the rights to make a "Star Wars Cardgame" and made Star Wars the Card Game, but I believe that line has ceased development. I no longer know who is allowed to make "Star Wars Cardgames".

Lastly, Fantasy Flight had the rights to make a "Star Wars RPG" and had multiple settings they supported using the same ruleset (but not compatible??) although that seems like it might be getting discontinued soon based on the past couple weeks of news.

Clear as mud.

Urriak Uruk

Gaming is fun, and fun is for everyone
The way I'm hearing it, they're just converting from in-house RPG development to outsourcing. Most of the discussions I've seen agree that it's nothing to get too worked up about.

Do you have a source for this? Because the most recent news I've seen is that it is being discontinued. The already announced products will be delivered, but after that FFG RPG is done.

gyor

Legend
Who cares about Star Wars and Monopoly, I thought this was about D&D. Until Wookie becomes a playable race in the Forgotten Realms I don't care about Star Wars.

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
Lastly, Fantasy Flight had the rights to make a "Star Wars RPG" and had multiple settings they supported using the same ruleset (but not compatible??) although that seems like it might be getting discontinued soon based on the past couple weeks of news.

Clear as mud.
FFG made 3 different star wars rpgs that were entirely compatible. they just also decided to publish a generic rpg based off the system they made for star wars and now that's also in limbo lol

Panda-s1

Scruffy and Determined
Who cares about Star Wars and Monopoly, I thought this was about D&D. Until Wookie becomes a playable race in the Forgotten Realms I don't care about Star Wars.
the conversation turned into a wider discussion about the future of WotC games, it helps they brought up Star Wars in the very same announcement lol

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
FFG made 3 different star wars rpgs that were entirely compatible. they just also decided to publish a generic rpg based off the system they made for star wars and now that's also in limbo lol
I never played FFG Star Wars (i'm a WEG fan) however they all had different names so I assumed they were same system but not compatible (like the 40k series of RPGs).

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases