D&D 5E D&D 'frequently asked' questions?

General questions that have come up several times in the past few months:
  • "Can I do (whatever) as a Bonus Action?" (this question is usually followed by "Well then what -can- I do as a Bonus Action?!" in an exasperated tone of voice.)
  • "Why are my attacks at Disadvantage? I have darkvision!"
  • "How does leaving a threatened area provoke an opportunity attack, but entering one doesn't?"
  • "Can I take the (feat) more than once?"
  • "What's the difference between cover and concealment?"
  • "Why does a long rest restore all my hit points, but only -one point- of exhaustion?" (This is part of an ongoing argument concerning the nature of damage, what hit points are supposed to represent, and what it means to "rest" and to "heal.")

When using the Shield Master feat:
  • "Can I use the Shield Bash first, then make my two weapon attacks?"
  • "Can I shove AND knock them prone?"
  • "Does the Shield Mastery feat give me proficiency with shields? Why not?"

When trying to use a shield as a weapon attack:
  • "Can I bludgeon the skeleton with my shield?"
  • "How much damage does a shield bash do?"
  • "Wait, why is it an Improvised Weapon? I'm proficient with shields!"
Honestly 80% of these point up design flaws with 5E, but I suppose that's why we have this thread at all.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
I think that one thing this column should reiterate is that the 5E rule set was meant to be a guideline rather than all encompassing leaving the DM the ability to rule as they see fit based on the table and the column is going to make suggestions to fill in the gaps.
All true. It's still interesting to read what questions keep coming up at other peoples' gaming tables. It's a good way to highlight the stuff that could use a bit of clarification.

R_J_K75

Legend
All true. It's still interesting to read what questions keep coming up at other peoples' gaming tables. It's a good way to highlight the stuff that could use a bit of clarification.
I agree. Clarifications and suggestions rather than trying to lay down hard fast rules. 5E definitely isnt written the best so its not surprising to see the same questions. Not to mention the way the books are laid out is pretty bad. That would be a huge improvement.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing
Honestly 80% of these point up design flaws with 5E, but I suppose that's why we have this thread at all.
That's possible. Of course, my list of "frequently asked questions" would probably be 200x longer with any other game edition. (I still have nightmares about 3rd Edition grappling.)

It's a point to 5E's credit that my list of "frequently asked" questions is so short.

I think that one thing this column should reiterate is that the 5E rule set was meant to be a guideline rather than all encompassing leaving the DM the ability to rule as they see fit based on the table and the column is going to make suggestions to fill in the gaps.
A way to build on this: give a few different ways of ruling on something, and explain the pros and cons of each. For example, shoe a couple different ways of handling surprise, but then discuss who benefits from different versions.

R_J_K75

Legend
A way to build on this: give a few different ways of ruling on something, and explain the pros and cons of each. For example, shoe a couple different ways of handling surprise, but then discuss who benefits from different versions.
Yeah that sounds about right. One answer probably isnt the right way to go but rather a few suggestions as you said. People shouldnt think this is errata or the "right" answer.

What counts as an attack is a huge thing that many people get wrong due to going with an intuitive understanding of "attack" as a hostile action, whereas 5e explicitly uses "attack" as jargon for "thing that involves an attack roll, or something else that specifically says it is an 'attack'".

That is rather important because of how different things can key off of attacks, but not effects that require saving throws, for example.

Could throw in the difference between an attack and the Attack action also.

What are the areas of D&D that new players would find a short article explaining how it works useful?

Like -- "How do Opportunity Attacks work?" and so on. What are the pain points for new players, which they might google an answer for?

(I ask, because I plan to commission an article series doing exactly this - already lined up are opportunity attacks, exhaustion, concentration, and stealth).
Actions. Understanding what type of actions there are, what one can do with them, that's all pretty crucial and not nearly as self explanatory as us grognards might think...

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Can I hold my bonus action and movement as well as my action?
Does holding my action change the initiative order?
Do attacks whilst grappled have disadvantage?
What is the difference between grappled and restrained?
What is my attack modifier/DC? (not knowing this number every turn stresses folk out)
Why is my attack number not the same as my damage number?
Why can't I use dexterity to climb that wall like Assassin's Creed?

As above, Sneak attack rules could maybe be written out more simply
Two concentration Spells

I like the idea above of writing examples to clarify rules mistakes:
Player 2 "I cast Shield of Faith on the Fighter".
DM "No problem, but If you do that, your Bless spell on the party will end. Which spell would you like to concentrate on?"

Remove ads