• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E D&D 'frequently asked' questions?

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
DM "No problem, but If you do that, your Bless spell on the party will end. Which spell would you like to concentrate on?"
Now I'm wondering @Morrus , does "new players" include players of previous editions? A player new to 5e might like a conversion guide: "How to Play 5e, for Players of Previous Editions." Concentration being one of the changes to mention...

Brand new?
  • How does the DM not cheat?
  • How do you start?
  • How do you win?
  • Do you have to dress up?
  • Do you need a mini?
  • Can you play by yourself?
  • How do you find a group?
  • Why do you have ability scores AND modifiers?
  • How do you calculate AC?
  • Do you get agility boosts every four levels when multiclassing?
Just going through the rules simply point by point can help
Proficiency and only getting it once
Bonus actions and triggers
Resting

Really, how combat goes in general. They Player's Handbook does an extremely poor job of explaining this.
That's less important
Think most people coming into the game will have seen one or two streamed games and have an idea of what is DnD
And those descriptions weren't very useful. You already needed to buy a $50 book to read them

Agree. Can a caster cast invisibility on themselves? As a DM I'd rule yes but RAW I'd say no. Greater Invisibility says you or a target...little things like this really confuse things sometimes.

That leads to good questions for Morus

"Do I count as my own ally?"
"Can I touch myself?"
"Can I target myself?"

Thunder Brother

God Learner
What counts as an attack is a huge thing that many people get wrong due to going with an intuitive understanding of "attack" as a hostile action, whereas 5e explicitly uses "attack" as jargon for "thing that involves an attack roll, or something else that specifically says it is an 'attack'".

That is rather important because of how different things can key off of attacks, but not effects that require saving throws, for example.

Could throw in the difference between an attack and the Attack action also.
I don't know about other people's experience, but every Rogue I've played with assumed they could Uncanny Dodge a saving throw spell such as Fireball or Shatter, and I feel like Mr. Buzzkillington when I tell them that's not how it works.

Thunder Brother

God Learner
Brand new?
  • How does the DM not cheat?
  • How do you start?
  • How do you win?
  • Do you have to dress up?
  • Do you need a mini?
  • Can you play by yourself?
  • How do you find a group?
  • Why do you have ability scores AND modifiers?
  • How do you calculate AC?
  • Do you get agility boosts every four levels when multiclassing?
Just going through the rules simply point by point can help
Proficiency and only getting it once
Bonus actions and triggers
Resting
Do I need a good/funny accent?

Are all Dwarfs Scottish?

Remove ads