D&D 5E D&D 'frequently asked' questions?

Oofta

Legend
General questions that have come up several times in the past few months:
  • "Can I do (whatever) as a Bonus Action?" (this question is usually followed by "Well then what -can- I do as a Bonus Action?!" in an exasperated tone of voice.)
  • "Why are my attacks at Disadvantage? I have darkvision!"
  • "How does leaving a threatened area provoke an opportunity attack, but entering one doesn't?"
  • "Can I take the (feat) more than once?"
  • "What's the difference between cover and concealment?"
  • "Why does a long rest restore all my hit points, but only -one point- of exhaustion?" (This is part of an ongoing argument concerning the nature of damage, what hit points are supposed to represent, and what it means to "rest" and to "heal.")

When using the Shield Master feat:
  • "Can I use the Shield Bash first, then make my two weapon attacks?"
  • "Can I shove AND knock them prone?"
  • "Does the Shield Mastery feat give me proficiency with shields? Why not?"

When trying to use a shield as a weapon attack:
  • "Can I bludgeon the skeleton with my shield?"
  • "How much damage does a shield bash do?"
  • "Wait, why is it an Improvised Weapon? I'm proficient with shields!"
Why would you have disadvantage on attacks in dim light? You have disadvantage perception checks, but that's it.

As far as shield master and the bonus action, that leads into rules, rulings and sage advice IMHO.

I did both. They still didn't get it right away. A LOT happens in combat. Your experience might be different, doesn't mean others are wrong.
For me, the book. Each and every time -- and not just because my Internet hasn't always been reliable. It is much easier for me to comprehend things that are written down than it is for me to comprehend it by watching somebody else.
Both have their uses
But two pages of scripted dialogue is maybe three or four minutes on a stream
And there's a mess you can do with two extra pages in a book

Remove ads