D&D 5E D&D 'frequently asked' questions?

CharlesWallace

enworld.com is a reminder of my hubris
The thing I never feel fully comfortable with, is how does hiding in combat work, both for rogues and non-rogues. Like, when can the player choose to try and hide, mostly in melee combat I'm wondering about.

It seems like according to the rules it would mostly not work because in melee the enemy would know where you are pretty much always. But the rogue seems like they should always be attacking and then bonus action hiding (at least starting at second level). That doesn't work if the enemy can usually see them in melee combat, right?

Can I add "How does Sneak Attack work?"

The thing I never feel fully comfortable with, is how does hiding in combat work, both for rogues and non-rogues. Like, when can the player choose to try and hide, mostly in melee combat I'm wondering about.

It seems like according to the rules it would mostly not work because in melee the enemy would know where you are pretty much always. But the rogue seems like they should always be attacking and then bonus action hiding (at least starting at second level). That doesn't work if the enemy can usually see them in melee combat, right?
The short answer is you need to break line of sight to hide, which means there needs to be something to hide behind - terrain, darkness, etc. IN an empty battlefield, you can't hide. But you can certainly still Sneak Attack most rounds, because all you need is an adjacent ally.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
An article on jargon might be helpful. Sure, the books define what a "core mechanic," "check," and "stats" are, but that doesn't necessarily mean that they make sense. "Abilities" - characters have the "ability" to attack, but an attack isn't an ability. "Crit" - if our fighter's attack was so critical, how did our bard just get killed?

imagineGod

Legend
"What is the action economy of 5e and why don't all classes have bonus actions available?"
Right here on ENWorld we see why Pathfinder 2e wins this round.

Steampunkette

Rules Tinkerer and Freelance Writer
Supporter
Right here on ENWorld we see why Pathfinder 2e wins this round.

I -do- like the 3 action economy... Only dislike that it doesn't work with Scaling Cantrips, which means a really nifty concept for Psionicists using pumpable cantrips would need to get massively changed.

Remove ads