D&D 5E D&D 'frequently asked' questions?

R_J_K75

Legend
invisibility?
Agree. Can a caster cast invisibility on themselves? As a DM I'd rule yes but RAW I'd say no. Greater Invisibility says you or a target...little things like this really confuse things sometimes.

aco175

Legend
What each skill allows and when. When you use Athletics over Acrobatics, or Perception instead of Investigation. How certain classes have one on their class list and not the other and how to handle this.

How to choose a race and what that means. Is race just a set of abilities on a human frame? Does an elf look at the world differently than a orc or human? I know a lot of books are just giving set bonuses now, but should they?

Spells. Help choosing spells at each level and how to get more versatility out of non-combat stuff. Why take burning hands and not magic missile or visa-versa.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Agree. Can a caster cast invisibility on themselves? As a DM I'd rule yes but RAW I'd say no. Greater Invisibility says you or a target...little things like this really confuse things sometimes.

"A creature you touch..." - you the caster are a creature, right? You are, one must assume, always within your own reach, right? You thus can always cast "touch" range spells on yourself, end of story.

Any other interpretation is beyond ridicule.

R_J_K75

Legend
"A creature you touch..." - you the caster are a creature, right? You are, one must assume, always within your own reach, right? You thus can always cast "touch" range spells on yourself, end of story.

Any other interpretation is beyond ridicule.
Correct and thats what I would think too. Its a rule under the magic description for touch attacks/spells and not the spell description and I just feel its poorly worded. So the Greater invisibility is stating you and target to say this spell effects more than one creature. Its the way the book is laid out that you have to hunt and peck for information to get the whole story that confuses things imo.

Stormonu

Legend
Casting two spells - in that you can cast two spells in a round only if one is a bonus action AND one of the spells is a leveled spell (1st - 9th) and the other is a cantrip.

For example, you can cast Healing Word, a 1st level spell that uses a bonus action, and also attack with Poison Spray as a cantrip using an action in the same round.

It took me a good long while to understand how that was feasible, and then explain it (several times) to others.[/I]

Stormonu

Legend
Oh, and properly using Hit Dice over in-combat magical healing). A lot of people gloss over using HD to heal between encounters takes a lot of pressure off the healer, and saves tons of money on healing potions.

"What's Session Zero?"
"Does it matter if we surround an enemy?"
"How does passive perception work?"
"How many spells can I cast in a round?"
"How do you stack advantage and disadvantage?"
"What Bonus Actions can I do?"
"How does the Multi-attack action work? How does it stack/interact with Extra Action or Haste or...?"
"What is the difference between Rules and Rulings?"
"Do I have to take an action to be hidden?"
"If something is hidden, do I have to take an action to perceive them?"
"What's the difference of being hidden and being out of sight?"
"Can I target a creature if I can't see them? What about with an Area of Effect?"
"If a spell 'targets a creature' can I target a door/object?"

Remove ads