D&D 5E D&D Game Day - Vault of the Dracolich was awesome!

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
It's 1 am, and I'm just home after co-ordinating my FLGS's Worldwide D&D Game Day event. It was so much fun!

Vault of the Dracolich was a multi-table game by Wizards; D&D Next rules. Each group was exploring a different part of the same dungeon, with contact allowed between the groups (and encouraged). Eventually they joined together for a final encounter (although run as separate tables, what happened on one could affect the others).

My FLGS ended up with three tables participating, each with a DM and five players. And then I was running around like a crazy person between the tables keeping everything organised. I'd brought in enough miniatures for the event, and I gave them to the DMs depending on which encounters they were handling. And then I was dealing with other events that could affect the groups...

I won't say that much now because of the time difference; I think it's still going in other parts of the world, but I had a great time. We got some great stories out of it!

Cheers!

NewJeffCT

First Post
It's 1 am, and I'm just home after co-ordinating my FLGS's Worldwide D&D Game Day event. It was so much fun!

Vault of the Dracolich was a multi-table game by Wizards; D&D Next rules. Each group was exploring a different part of the same dungeon, with contact allowed between the groups (and encouraged). Eventually they joined together for a final encounter (although run as separate tables, what happened on one could affect the others).

My FLGS ended up with three tables participating, each with a DM and five players. And then I was running around like a crazy person between the tables keeping everything organised. I'd brought in enough miniatures for the event, and I gave them to the DMs depending on which encounters they were handling. And then I was dealing with other events that could affect the groups...

I won't say that much now because of the time difference; I think it's still going in other parts of the world, but I had a great time. We got some great stories out of it!

Cheers!

Thanks - I wonder if my FLGS will be running it at all?

jodyjohnson

Adventurer
We only had one table but it was a good time.

The final encounter with the priests followed immediately by the dracolich was a nail-biter with 2 of 5 dying and paralysed when the Dracolich fled.

When I got home I saw Prayer of Healing was a 10 minute casting time so they probably would have TPK'd instead but it was fun.

We did the Group 4 area for Encounters last Wed and it was difficult and interesting. Should finish that section Wednesday before we move on to the new Encounters season.

Scrivener of Doom

Adventurer
Same here- I'd have a 2 hour + drive to get to any kind of organized game event. :(

I really don't know what you guys are complaining about.

I have a drive, a flight, a wait in an airport, another flight, another drive and then maybe, just maybe, I would be able to attend an organised game event.

Oh, and I would need to bring my passport. :)

Paraxis

Explorer
I really don't know what you guys are complaining about.

I have a drive, a flight, a wait in an airport, another flight, another drive and then maybe, just maybe, I would be able to attend an organised game event.

Oh, and I would need to bring my passport. :)

Yeah that is why I think the concept of online virtual conventions is a great idea I didn't even know those types of things existed until recently but right now LUGcon is going on it is a google+ based convention happening this weekend using hangouts and roll20.

Next weekend is an female Game Master only online convention called CONtessa that looks interesting too.

I hope these kinds of things start to get more publicity and support. Like if I would have known about LUGcon a week ago and had a heads up about the whole Mutants & Masterminds being free today I would have loved to run a game to introduce new players.

Not to mention would have been great to get a chance to play Vault of the Dracolich online if that would have been possible.

Last edited:

MortalPlague

Adventurer
I just finished playing the adventure. This was one hell of a ride! Hands-down the best experience I've had with 5th Edition, or with a WotC adventure. And I've had some good ones!

Some highlights:

Indellice (my character) survived the whole adventure. She rolled two natural 20s on death saving throws to get back up. (She also used all her spells and all her channel divinities for the day... by the second fight)

The remnants of my party joined another party and attacked a hydra underwater. And won. While fighting a possessed party-member-turned-wight.

Indellice kicked the wight out of said player using a scroll of remove curse and by applying the 'touch' part of the spell with a readied 'boot to the head'.

Remove ads