TSR D&D Historian Ben Riggs on TSR's Salaries in the 1990s

We're talking about the original TSR (TSR1) here, not the controversy-laden TSR3. Benjamin Riggs is a D&D historian, and his latest book Slaying the Dragon: A Secret History of Dungeons & Dragons, which takes a deep dive into the sale of TSR to WotC in the late 1990s, is available to pre-order now.

Ben wrote about the salaries of TSR employees back in 1997.

81-LmlmKixL.jpg

Hi! I’m a D&D historian, and given some of the issues around worker pay in the #TTRPG industry raised by the Paizo Union and others, I thought I’d tweet a little bit about pay at TSR in 1997, a time for which I have a ton of primary source documents.

First, let’s look at TSR as a whole. It had 94 American employees, and I believe 15 UK employees though my documentation on that is thin. The company spent $3,551,664 on payroll in 97.

The highest-paid person at TSR in 97 made $212,973. ($360,000 in today’s dollars.)

The lowest-paid person made $15,080. ($26,000 in today’s dollars.)

The highest-paid creative at TSR in 97 was an artist who took home a $100,000 salary. ($173,000 in today’s dollars.)

The highest-paid game designer made $50,000. ($86,000 in today’s dollars.)

The lowest-paid game designer made $27,500. ($47,000 in today’s dollars.)

I’m not an econ major or in business, but a few things jump out at me when I look at the payrolls and salaries as a whole.

First, game design seemed to have the lowest salaries as a group, excepting administrative assistants. It was also the largest group of employees on the payroll.

That said, hiring a full-time game designer based in outstate Wisconsin today and paying them $47,000 plus benefits seems a generous starting wage. That said, a starting game designer working on D&D at WoTC has to live in Seattle, which is not nearly as affordable as Lake Geneva, Wisconsin.

While I haven’t done the math, at a glance, it looks like the average salary in every other department was higher. Cartography, books, sales, and art all seemed more financially remunerative than game design.

One reason for this could be that there was a massive layoff at TSR the Friday before Christmas in 1996. I do not know the salaries of the 20+ people laid off that day. It could be that they were higher-paid individuals, and since my data is from 1997, it leaves the RPG department looking underpaid.

But there were also people who had been with TSR for I believe 20+ years working in the RPG department who were still making less than $30,000 in 1997. I did not see anyone with that kind of longevity still making that little in any other department.

So perhaps management simply took advantage of the fact that people would work for less if they got to make D&D. A suggestion that might help ensure better pay for RPG designers going forward is royalties.

Gygax & Arneson made incredible amounts of money off their D&D royalties. Early D&D developers who were given royalties described them as a portal to the middle class. While not every adventure will sell so well that it will allow the designers to buy mansions, it would allow those whose work really took off to directly benefit.

Furthermore, royalties can provide income for a long time after work is completed, and one of the tragedies of the industry today is watching RPG legends beg for money to pay medical bills online. Perhaps royalties could provide long-term security for designers.

In sum, RPG designers are vital people to the lives of our imaginations. It is important they not just survive but thrive economically from their inspiring and important work.

If you find me amusing, consider pre-ordering my book on the sale of TSR to WoTC at [this link]!

Ben Riggs's Slaying the Dragon tells the secret and untold story of how TSR, the company that created Dungeons & Dragons, was driven into ruin by disastrous management decisions, then purchased and saved by their bitterest rival.

For twenty years, a story has been told about the first company that made Dungeons & Dragons, TSR, and the story goes something like this: Dungeons & Dragons created the genre of role-playing games in 1974, and that made TSR successful. In the 1990's, Wizards of the Coast created a new kind of game, the collectible card game. People started playing Wizards’ flagship product, Magic: The Gathering, and that competition killed TSR. In a twist worthy of a Greek tragedy, Wizards ended up buying TSR. It is a story of competition and creative destruction, as capitalism teaches us is right and good.

That story is entirely wrong.

Through hundreds of hours of interviews, endless research, and the help of anonymous sources providing secret documents, the true story of what happened to TSR and Dungeons & Dragons can finally be told. TSR did not so much die in capitalist combat as it bled to death of self-inflicted wounds. The true history is that of disastrous mistakes, and decisions founded on arrogance rather than good sense. Debts were racked up, geniuses driven from the company, and countless of thousands of products were shipped and sold at a loss, with no one noticing until after the fact. The story of TSR provides a negative blueprint, an example of what a company should not do in the geek business space.

And it is a story entirely untold until now.

Jimmy Dick

Adventurer
Or lean more heavily toward remote-work opportunities. Wasn't that one of the things that the Paizo union was fighting for?
Yes. The gaming world has learned something they should have already known because of the way they use freelancers, but it is possible to run a successful company with many employees working from home. Today's technology is making this extremely easy. I taught multiple college courses via Zoom during the pandemic. What it takes is a bit of reorienting the course to take advantage of the situation.

That's what the gaming companies need to do. The question is are the people running those companies capable of making the mental switch to make it happen? The talent is going to go with the company that pays them the most/offers them the better working arrangement.

I really think there's an opportunity here for a company ran by smart people willing to build it up through remote positions/freelancers by paying that talent well to put out a topnotch product coupled with a great marketing drive and grab a significant market share. WotC is in a great position as well to keep the market share it has if it can adapt to the new situation and use the 50th anniversary successfully.

Zardnaar

Legend
Yes. The gaming world has learned something they should have already known because of the way they use freelancers, but it is possible to run a successful company with many employees working from home. Today's technology is making this extremely easy. I taught multiple college courses via Zoom during the pandemic. What it takes is a bit of reorienting the course to take advantage of the situation.

That's what the gaming companies need to do. The question is are the people running those companies capable of making the mental switch to make it happen? The talent is going to go with the company that pays them the most/offers them the better working arrangement.

I really think there's an opportunity here for a company ran by smart people willing to build it up through remote positions/freelancers by paying that talent well to put out a topnotch product coupled with a great marketing drive and grab a significant market share. WotC is in a great position as well to keep the market share it has if it can adapt to the new situation and use the 50th anniversary successfully.

You do miss out on in person networking though things like zoom only go so far.

Who you know is just as if not more important as what you know in a lot of job sites.

For RPG design that requires no formal qualifications......

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
...TSR did not so much die in capitalist combat as it bled to death of self-inflicted wounds. The true history is that of disastrous mistakes, and decisions founded on arrogance rather than good sense. Debts were racked up, geniuses driven from the company, and countless of thousands of products were shipped and sold at a loss, with no one noticing until after the fact....

And it is a story entirely untold until now.

I mean, except that this has been the prevailing story around here for... quite some time now. Years, if I am not mistaken, possibly decades. I don't recall seeing the "WotC killed D&D, and the bought it," narrative here, like, ever.

Zardnaar

Legend
I mean, except that this has been the prevailing story around here for... quite some time now. Years, if I am not mistaken, possibly decades. I don't recall seeing the "WotC killed D&D, and the bought it," narrative here, like, ever.

It gets mentioned but no one's really pushing that line.

Even if you don't like modern D&D TSR killed themselves. Purely self inflicted.

At the time, it looked like people had simply voted with their feet. There’s probably as many different reasons why this happened as there are gamers, but when I started uni in 1996 there were Magic games running wherever you looked, and even when I joined the rpg club I couldn’t play d&d because nobody was remotely interested in running it. Everything was White Wolf there, or Call of Cthulhu, or Ars Magica. Home D&d games were no doubt happily going along at kitchen tables all over the place, but in what passed for the (largely pre-internet) broader rpg community, or at least the bit of it I saw, d&d was viewed as slightly embarrassing 80s kitsch, kids stuff really. All the bright colours and ADVENTURE and dragonlancey good vs evil heroics didn’t really sit comfortably in a decade where music was depressed and cynical, V:tM (with its Serious Storytelling and ‘brooding sonorous gothic sensuality overlaid on today’s hyperkinetic neon cyberpunk world’, as I’m pretty sure the cover blurb used to say) was the defining rpg, where comics competed to make the nastiest goresplattered antiheroes, and where everyone in every movie wore black trenchcoats. TSRs mismanagement and the explosive popularity of a rival fantasy hobby in MtG certainly didn’t help, but it would have been a challenging cultural period for d&d to navigate whoever was in charge.

Zardnaar

Legend
At the time, it looked like people had simply voted with their feet. There’s probably as many different reasons why this happened as there are gamers, but when I started uni in 1996 there were Magic games running wherever you looked, and even when I joined the rpg club I couldn’t play d&d because nobody was remotely interested in running it. Everything was White Wolf there, or Call of Cthulhu, or Ars Magica. Home D&d games were no doubt happily going along at kitchen tables all over the place, but in what passed for the (largely pre-internet) broader rpg community, or at least the bit of it I saw, d&d was viewed as slightly embarrassing 80s kitsch. All the bright colours and ADVENTURE and dragonlancey good vs evil heroics didn’t really sit comfortably in a decade where music was depressed and cynical, V:tM was the defining rpg, where comics competed to make the nastiest goresplattered antiheroes, and where everyone in every movie wore black trenchcoats. TSRs mismanagement and the explosive popularity of a rival fantasy hobby in MtG certainly didn’t help, but it would have been a challenging cultural period for d&d to navigate whoever was in charge.

The 3.0 ascetic probably would have worked post 1991.

D&D kinda grew up with it's audience on that one.

B/X and 2E kinda aimed at younger gamers.

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases