D&D 5E D&D is Getting Unweildy

John Lloyd1

Explorer
I agree that the huge pile of books and boxed are intimidating in the store. But if you have the information that you only need a boxed set or the core 3 + adventure, it shouldn't be any more of an issue than in 2014.

On a player coming to the table with a Tasha character, there is a certain asymmetry between DM and player system mastery. But you need to trust the player! The DM needs to know the core rules, monsters and treasure. The Player needs to know the core rules and their character rules. The player should bring the source rules for their character so any DM queries can be clarified.

Dragonsbane

Proud Grognard
So let's say I've never played D&D before, but after watching Stranger Things, checking out Critical Role, and talking to my friends, I've decided to take the plunge, purchase some books, and get to playing. I walk into my local Barnes & Noble and I see the holy trinity of D&D books, The Player's Handbook, the Dungeon Master's Guide, and the Monster Manual, and I go ahead and purchase all three because I'm a masochist and DMing seems like its right up my ally. (Alternatively I'm a sadist and I wish to make my players suffer.) I've got an introductory adventure I'd like to run, and I invite a few of my friends over to play, some of whom have been playing D&D for a few years. What shows up to my table? Well, I've got an Artificer and a Celestial Warlock. Okay, I guess. And don't the stats on the Halfling fighter seen a little wonky? Since when did they get a bonus to strength?

I don't really care if we call it a new edition or what, but I'd like the rules codified in one set of books. If we're going to go with Tasha's when it comes to race in the future, then put that in the PHB. This might not be a big deal to those of of us who have been playing for a while, but this kind of thing will frustrate new players.
That goes against WoTC/D&D's model - publish as many books as possible, mostly redos of older books, wait 8 years, new edition time. TOo bad they don't have a wiki with everything like PF2, oh wait they do... but you pay for books there too. Sounds legit. I will now look lovingly at all my settings people are waiting for, but are on my shelf right now.

Also, as a new DM, don't be afraid to say NO to a player choice. Your table, your rules. If you are not comfortable with a furry half-halfling undead warforged artificer at your table, just tell them only PHB classes/subclasses for your first game. D&D 5E has so many choices, many of which are identical save the color of your tail or your one spell-like ability, its ok to restrict. I restrict races based on gameworld, location of campaign, and what actually exists in public (some races KOS).

Last edited:

MGibster

Legend
That goes against WoTC/D&D's model - publish as many books as possible, mostly redos of older books, wait 8 years, new edition time. TOo bad they don't have a wiki with everything like PF2, oh wait they do... but you pay for books there too. Sounds legit. I will now look lovingly at all my settings people are waiting for, but are on my shelf right now.
I don't believe WotC is actually publishing as many books as possible. That would be 2nd edition AD&D with it's Complete Handbook series, tons of adventrue modules, and more settings than most people could play. I'm not complaining that they're updating the rules, publishing new books, etc., etc. But if they're going to change things and go forward using Tasha, the core books should reflect that change.

jagrhunter

Villager
It's up to the DM to know his own limitations. If he doesn't want the hassle of a half-Aardvark/ half-Tarrasque Ranger/Artificer then he should tell his players. It's the same for any game i.e M&M, GURPS, Pathfinder, etc... Basic DnD is PHB/DMG/MM. Everything builds on that foundation. Original DnD was just that. Classes and races were what you had. Showing up to a 1ed game with a bard, would get you some looks,

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
Those people are wrong. You don't just empty the whole spicerack into every meal you cook.
No group can use all options anyway--the analogy does not hold.

"All options that exist are available" is simply presuming that if there's something official, it's something you can actually try. The group you end up with will only end up with at most as many races, (sub)classes, etc. as it has players. It's not that big a deal.

Mind of tempest

(he/him)advocate for 5e psionics
it was always been unwieldy as the mechanic has never been simple plug-and-go, so can you better define what it is that is bothering you?

Weiley31

Legend
So let's say I've never played D&D before, but after watching Stranger Things, checking out Critical Role, and talking to my friends, I've decided to take the plunge, purchase some books, and get to playing. I walk into my local Barnes & Noble and I see the holy trinity of D&D books, The Player's Handbook, the Dungeon Master's Guide, and the Monster Manual, and I go ahead and purchase all three because I'm a masochist and DMing seems like its right up my ally. (Alternatively I'm a sadist and I wish to make my players suffer.) I've got an introductory adventure I'd like to run, and I invite a few of my friends over to play, some of whom have been playing D&D for a few years. What shows up to my table? Well, I've got an Artificer and a Celestial Warlock. Okay, I guess. And don't the stats on the Halfling fighter seen a little wonky? Since when did they get a bonus to strength?

I don't really care if we call it a new edition or what, but I'd like the rules codified in one set of books. If we're going to go with Tasha's when it comes to race in the future, then put that in the PHB. This might not be a big deal to those of of us who have been playing for a while, but this kind of thing will frustrate new players.
I mean after 2024, my games are gonna be a mixed of pre-2024 DND books and all the books released for 5E WoTC DND from 2014, with half-elf, half-orcs, Mord's Tome of Foes and all that so I'm sure everybody and all that will be just fine.

that's not even including certain 3PP like Humblewood and Iron Kingdom: Requiem.

Weiley31

Legend
D&D is Getting Unweildy

Next time, make sure you are proficient in D&D.

Does proficiency come from class, lineage, background, or feats?

I've been dual-wielding Call of Cthulhu and D&D for years.
Wait: you guys don't use any of the White Wolf splats???

1661874801627.png

Stormonu

Legend
I don't believe WotC is actually publishing as many books as possible. That would be 2nd edition AD&D with it's Complete Handbook series, tons of adventrue modules, and more settings than most people could play. I'm not complaining that they're updating the rules, publishing new books, etc., etc. But if they're going to change things and go forward using Tasha, the core books should reflect that change.
Unless, like me, I'm not using Tasha's rules - and do not want to. My wife, conversely is only using PHB - no additions allowed from Monsters of the Multiverse, Xanathar's OR Tasha's. Some people just don't want that stuff rolled back into the "basic" PHB.

Besides, doesn't help updating the PHB for 2022, if everybody at the table is still using their 2014 copy, and doesn't feel like buying a new one.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases