D&D 5E D&D is Getting Unweildy

I feel a lot of this problem comes from there not being an online, officiall, non-pirate source of all player options and rules. It would make verifying and dealing with people bringing in things from books you do not own much easier - things become just a google or wiki source away.

At the same time, table culture plays a role; if players are on the ball when it comes to playing their characters, I think everything would work okay, even if you're not quite sure how things exactly line up.

jaycrockett

Explorer
I've got an introductory adventure I'd like to run, and I invite a few of my friends over to play, some of whom have been playing D&D for a few years.
It's unusual that experienced players would make the newbie be the DM, so yeah, I can see that would be tough.
D&D is getting more unwieldy, true, but it's still the least unwieldy edition so far.

beancounter

(I/Me/Mine)
They really should draw a line in the sand and reprint the core books with all of the changes to date.

Otherwise it will get unwieldy.

Remember when it used to be "PH plus 1" for options?...

Burnside

Space Jam Confirmed
Supporter
We're late in 5E, and any edition gets unwieldly by 8 years in (if they last 8 years).

If I go to generate a new character in DNDBeyond right now, i have 85 Race options. That is NOT even counting ANY subraces. BUT a new person isn't a maniac like me who owns all that stuff in DNDBeyond.

You couldn't print a PHB with ALL the race, class, feats, and stuff that's come out. It would be the length of a dictionary.

The 2014 and 2022 Starter Sets both do a good job of on-roading brand new players and DMs. Hopefully more of them start with those than with the core books.

The 5E DMG isn't as newbie-friendly as it could be, but that's been a problem since 2014.

Re: the "Tasha's race rules need to be in the PHB", that pretty much will happen in 2024.

Last edited:

Rabulias

the Incomparably Shrewd and Clever
I've got an introductory adventure I'd like to run, and I invite a few of my friends over to play, some of whom have been playing D&D for a few years. [emphasis mine]
While I take your point, in this hypothetical situation why didn't the budding DM consult with the friends he knew played D&D before buying anything? In the absence of such friends, hopefully, the would-be DM sees the D&D Starter Set on the shelves at the book store.

I think most groups that begin playing D&D grow from someone who already knows it (and has books), or they are all starting at the same level of knowledge/materials.

Remove ads