• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D is just a game...right?

BlubSeabass

First Post
Though when emotions run high in a game, it's easy for it to go totally wrong. (looks at football) Dangerous situation, but a very nice story in the end!

Reigan

First Post
Dying when emotions are running high and to rub salt into the wounds, the villain escapes? Sounds like the dead character should come back as a revenant to seek revenge!

Because, when done right, role-playing is like good acting: you feel it; you experience it. Despite doing nearly everything right, a great victory had turned into a pyrrhic one, and that got to him.

Exactly this.

Just like a great novel, an excellent play, or a well-written and directed movie, a well played roleplaying game has the potential to bring catharsis to everyone in the table.

That's why it is not "just" a game, it is a great game.

nedjer

Adventurer
For me those dice rolls are hidden for a reason. There were a dozen compromises open but the bare rules said die, so they died. I can get the fun in surprising or shocking a party, putting them through a tough challenge, watching them 'rise from the ashes' or 'going down in glory'; but killing a new player's PC and loving it :confused:

Jasperak

Adventurer
Sounds like a hell of a game. I like these types of sessions because they provide the counter balance to all of the successes and help impart meaning both to the players and characters.

falcarrion

First Post
It is what makes a villian so great. And makes better players. they are now in the revenge zone. Just the mention of the villian in any plot and they will jump at it. This is an epic in the making. You should blog about it so we can see how it turns out.

athos

First Post
Into every life a little rain must fall...

I try to warn players from time to time that they can run and not have to kill everything the first time they encounter it, but it seems like in this situation, they had a fair chance of winning the combat.

If they have +2 weapons, then they can afford a raise dead (at least in 3.5, not sure what it is worth in 4.0), the question is, are they good aligned characters and are they decent enough people to get a comrade raised, if it costs them a magic item?

I can see your wife being pissed if she would sacrifice for one of them, but none of them pony up for her raise dead.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
I can see your wife being pissed if she would sacrifice for one of them, but none of them pony up for her raise dead.
In my previous group, I was the only guy who wanted his dead character raised. The other players saw PC death as an opportunity to roll up something new.

In fact, the rest of them were surprised when I expressed hope that if my guy died they would raise him.

People are different.

Diamond Cross

Banned
Banned
If you wanted to raise her character, you should've had the church make a deal with the party. Retrieve a holy object of some sort that has been taken by a group of monsters, and when it's retrieved, raise her character.

But you might also want to have a different character character prepared for her to run temporarily so she can try something else.

Remove ads