• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D is not a supers game.

OK, so I've got the play test, read it and played it. I actually like much of it, including the Backgrounds and Themes ideas. It generally feels like D&D (as an 'old school gamer') although it still needs expanding on some ideas.

The big bugbear for me, however, largely boils down to to same core issue I have with D&D 4th edition (and Pathfinder actually). And that is the power creep.

Why do Hit Points have to be so high at 1st level - out of synch with all other NPC dwellers? Why do Fighters need to have a D12 Hit Dice, and cause unstoppable damage at 1st level? Why do Wizards need an inexhaustible supply of unerring Magic Missiles to launch? Why do classes all need a schtick-like effects to be enjoyable to play in the 1st level?

Seriously, if your group wants to play a higher level style fantasy, what is stopping them simply giving all PCs 10,000 XP to start with and simply begin play at a higher level?

For me half the fun of D&D is starting off as relatively ordinary characters, and then becoming heroic as they gain experience. This seems to be lost in practically all modern iterations of D&D. I recall the 1st time I played D&D, being wowed by the experience of our party overcoming an Ogre with something like 30HP at the climax of the session. You lose that sense of danger, if the individual characters have nearly that much HP each already. You cannot play a Lord of the Rings style Hobbity adventure with these rules, which is a clear failure in my book.

So, for me:

1) Make the HD the sole measure of HP (with a Con modifier for each level). Have characters gain up to 10HD at 10th Level, then simply stop awarding them after that.

2) Give Fighters a d10 HD again. Actually, I'd arguably give them a D8, so that the HP are equitable with other characters and NPC Warriors). Levy their 'Feats' so that, at 1st level at least, combat is challenging. They can gain more dramatic feats as they progress, but it needs to be levied.

3) Make Wizards 'minor spells' actually minor in effect. Anything that directly causes damage, without needing to roll, is not a minor effect. Cantrips should be effects that gain useful little benefits, like opening doors or moving small objects around, but are not flashy evocations of power.

4) Make the skills the main focus of the Rogue Class - not just the 'striker' role (although, admittedly, this is much better in D&D Next than it was in 4th Ed). I'm not asking for big long lists (definitely not!), but what about being able to pickpocket again?

5) Be wary of escalating bonuses. Already, at 1st level the Fighter seems to have massive bonuses on damage and attacks - indeed, almost all the characters have bonuses of some type, and it's hard to track where some of them are coming from. Also, incidentally, are they going to go back to adding 1/2 Level to Skill checks and Attacks? It is not clear in the play test, although I actually wouldn't mind as it's an easy method of calculating.

Dannager

First Post
Why do Hit Points have to be so high at 1st level - out of synch with all other NPC dwellers? Why do Fighters need to have a D12 Hit Dice, and cause unstoppable damage at 1st level? Why do Wizards need an inexhaustible supply of unerring Magic Missiles to launch? Why do classes all need a schtick-like effects to be enjoyable to play in the 1st level?

They don't need any of these things, but most players think that those things are cool. Given the choice between having things that are cool and not having things that are cool, I will take the things that are cool. So will most people.

fjw70

Adventurer
I prefer starting PCs be more heroic but I am willing to accept starting at a higher level (say 3) and leaving the first couple levels to the don't-want-to-start-as-heroes crowd.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I disagree. D&D - especially high level D&D - has pretty much been a superhero game since 2nd Edition.

I will agree with a proposition that D&D shouldn't be a superhero game. But I can't agree with a statement that it isn't one, because it has been - to my displeasure - for a long time. Most of its lifetime, for sure.

BobTheNob

First Post
I understand your point, and its not a bad one. In a large sense I actually agree with you, level one IMHO has a magic place where you are the player are about as heroic as a pastry chef (no offence to the pastry chefs out there, I love your work), and you have to survive with very little. Its a very satisfying experience to overcome obstacles with very little, and for what its worth, its an easily preserved experience by saying "if you DONT like it, just start at a higher level".

Totally sympathetic on that point.

...which is a clear failure in my book.
No. Not so much saying "No" cause I disagree with you, its the rhetoric. Let the children use the "fail" word like its going out of fashion. Let we the wise use terms that don't imply the extreme of negativity just because we disagree. Its enough to say "it wont be the experience I am looking for" rather than "its going to fail because I dont like it". I dont have a magic ball to predict the future and neither do you.

2) Give Fighters a d10 HD again. Actually, I'd arguably give them a D8, so that the HP are equitable with other characters and NPC Warriors). Levy their 'Feats' so that, at 1st level at least, combat is challenging. They can gain more dramatic feats as they progress, but it needs to be levied.
I was kinda happy they had moved fighters to d12. I have always felt that was a good move. Tom"ay"toes, Tom"ar"toes.

4) Make the skills the main focus of the Rogue Class - not just the 'striker' role (although, admittedly, this is much better in D&D Next than it was in 4th Ed). I'm not asking for big long lists (definitely not!), but what about being able to pickpocket again?
Yes Yes Yes Yes. I have hated what the rogue has turned into since 3e+, damage monkeys...bletch.

I would point out, dont draw too much from the characters that were included. They were just samples intended for testing and far from complete. A different build of rogue might well have pick pocket.

5) Be wary of escalating bonuses. Already, at 1st level the Fighter seems to have massive bonuses on damage and attacks - indeed, almost all the characters have bonuses of some type, and it's hard to track where some of them are coming from. Also, incidentally, are they going to go back to adding 1/2 Level to Skill checks and Attacks? It is not clear in the play test, although I actually wouldn't mind as it's an easy method of calculating.
Sorta covered off in many places. The to-hit bonus ISNT scaling hard(yes, that +2 they get doesnt go up by much, if at all. Most speculation is around the 1 per 5 levels, but no-one really know. Whatever it will be, it aint much) and the damage is intended to scale harder than before, or something along those lines.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Once you get to about level 10 or so, D&D is a supers game.

Pretty much since forever. Once you hit teens, you are playing the B or C squad of the Avengers or Justice League.

In the past, low levels was a swingy mess. You were normals fighting incredible odds at best and supernatural killing fields at worse. The swinginess could easily kill fun. You were kobolds and the world was the fighter, wizard, rogue, and cleric. You could barely place any attachment to a PC unless your DM was nice enough to go easy and level you pathetic behind up.

Whether level 1 should be regular pathetic normals or well trained semi-professionals is another thing.

Ahnehnois

First Post
Reduce power everywhere? Yes, you're right.

D&D should be a superhero game at high and epic levels, but 1st level characters should suck.

For me half the fun of D&D is starting off as relatively ordinary characters, and then becoming heroic as they gain experience. This seems to be lost in practically all modern iterations of D&D
Having only briefly played any pre-3e D&D, I can't speak on the history, but I agree that the heroic journey is a major motif in D&D and in fantasy in general and to have a journey you have to start pretty far from where you end. I think 3e st level characters were somewhat too powerful, and 4e were ridiculous, and 5e seems to be in between.

I don't think hp are the biggest issue. If you have 4 hp wizards, you get into silly situations with cats. I think the powers that characters have and the relative ineptitude of the monsters are bigger problems than the hp, which is a little high but not crazy.

am181d

Adventurer
I disagree. D&D - especially high level D&D - has pretty much been a superhero game since 2nd Edition.

I will agree with a proposition that D&D shouldn't be a superhero game. But I can't agree with a statement that it isn't one, because it has been - to my displeasure - for a long time. Most of its lifetime, for sure.

Only 2e? 2e wasn't the edition that presented a Monster Manual worth of gods to beat up.

The difference, if one wants to draw a line, is maybe about the progression. I'm sympathetic to the previous poster's point that even in 3e, your first level characters were still barely more competent than commoners. (Especially with the 3e quirk that you could have 4th level commoners, etc.)

Drowbane

First Post

Was it not 1e that gave Fighter the title of "Super Hero" around level 8? I would argue that D&D has been a Supers game since the addition of magic using classes. And I'm cool with that.

Remove ads