• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D is not a supers game.

Gold Roger

First Post
I like the notion that PC's are more than ordinary people. They are the guys that go out there in a small band and face things most would rather run from. They study the arcane or call upon the favor of gods, they are martial prodigys, masters of improvisation and people who stand up to beasts and trained soldiers with nothing but their bare hands.

Having said that, I agree with a lot you said, especialy where it concerns the lowest levels. First level PC's belong to the five percent who have a talent that may allow them to really make a difference. They are more skilled than ordinary people, but they don't tower over them. And an experience guardsman, a mercenary worth his money or gangleader in the slums certainly aren't ordinary either and shouldn't be a pushover in the face of a first level group.

So I think that there are some things on the playtest characters I feel should be toned down a bit. But I'm optimistic.

Mearls already said they went a bit big on the hitpoints to be on the safe side for example, though I'd prefer them a bit higher than you suggest (if only because I can run a rather tough game and would like some characters to actually see the campaign start to finish).

As for escalating boni, the designers have stated that they want to keep the math flat for attack boni, AC, saving throws and skills. In the playtest none of these things increase past the first level. For all we know they never do. Though I'd expect attack boni and saves at least to increase a small bit, as certain creatures could get sats up to 30 (for a +10 bonus) and they'd be incredibly hard to deal with at even the highest level without some increase.

jadrax

Adventurer
2) Give Fighters a d10 HD again. Actually, I'd arguably give them a D8, so that the HP are equitable with other characters and NPC Warriors). Levy their 'Feats' so that, at 1st level at least, combat is challenging. They can gain more dramatic feats as they progress, but it needs to be levied.

Fighters do have a d10 Hit Dice (and I to personally would rather it be d8). The playtest Fighter has a d12 due to the fact he is a Dwarf.

Dannager

First Post
D&D should be a superhero game at high and epic levels, but 1st level characters should suck.

I don't think they should suck at all. 1st level is where I daresay most new players to D&D begin. You don't want to introduce new players to the game of D&D by effectively saying, "Welcome to D&D! You suck and can't do anything well!" You want to introduce them by saying, "Welcome to D&D! You can do some awesome things now, and the more you play the more awesome you'll become!"

Ahnehnois

First Post
I don't think they should suck at all. 1st level is where I daresay most new players to D&D begin. You don't want to introduce new players to the game of D&D by effectively saying, "Welcome to D&D! You suck and can't do anything well!" You want to introduce them by saying, "Welcome to D&D! You can do some awesome things now, and the more you play the more awesome you'll become!"
1. Pet peeve: the word "awesome" is decades out of date. I don't know why it gets used so much in the gaming community.
2. The last thing I want is for new players to think that they can accomplish something without earning it.

Invisible Stalker

First Post
1. Pet peeve: the word "awesome" is decades out of date. I don't know why it gets used so much in the gaming community.
2. The last thing I want is for new players to think that they can accomplish something without earning it.

Awesome and D&D peaked at the same time.

Mr. Spicoli if you please...

Awesome! - YouTube

I'd rather have PCs be well above your average slack jawed yokel right from level one.

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
There should be a level 0 for our pathetic normals if someone wants to start there.

Although the playtest is higher than I like in HPs. But they stated that it is high for testing purposes.

Dannager

First Post

I'm not of the persuasion that my friends who have decided to sit down to enjoy a game in their free time should have to earn anything in order to have fun, or to enjoy the things their character can do.

The notion that players should have to "earn" their enjoyment is nonsense, and I'm tempted to say it comes from a place of gamer elitism, which this hobby has no room for.

Ahnehnois

First Post
The notion that players should have to "earn" their enjoyment is nonsense, and I'm tempted to say it comes from a place of gamer elitism, which this hobby has no room for.
Not at all. The sense of accomplishment you get when playing rpgs comes from overcoming challenges. This is true in any game, really. I don't think that beginning tennis players should be firing aces, or beginning poker players should be capable of winning money against experienced ones. Likewise, I don't believe that beginning D&D characters should be capable of shooting infinite magic bolts or defeating competent opponents in combat.

Beginning D&D players should be helped along, but that doesn't really conflict with any of the above.

Dannager

First Post
Not at all. The sense of accomplishment you get when playing rpgs comes from overcoming challenges.

Absolutely. You can challenge your players aplenty while still giving their characters awesome things to do. "Cool" and "powerful" are not interchangeable words.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads